Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

training with no money

chrysalide
chrysalide
Canada
2002/12/26, 10:59 PM
Hi!

I decided to write in because I need some advice.

In the last year or so I have discovered an interest in fitness. I started by taking a Tae bo class which I loved, but I had to quit after 5 months because my work schedule changed. I started going to the gym, but I felt like I needed help and I wasn't doing it right. It was one of those inexpensive gym ($99/year) with old equipments and no help from the staff.

I'm really interested in getting my body fit and toned. I'm even considering competing eventually, but how can you achieve good result with no money? Any tips?

I can't afford a personal trainer (althought I feel this would be the best solution for me at the moment. It would help me get a good workout program and give me some motivation) I can't afford a good gym and I have no room or money for equipment.

At one point I even considered doing some bartering. I'm a professional web designer and photographer. I was hoping to offer my services in exchange for some personal training every week.

I really want to get in shape. I would really appreciate all the help and tips you guys can offer me!

I'm 5'3" and 116lbs

Thank you in advance!
Stephanie from Montreal

Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2002/12/27, 01:29 AM
Free weights are probably the best you can use. Machines are more for targetting a specific area, but freeweights give u the overall condititioning because you have to keep the weight stable.

5'3 and 116 dont sound far out of shape LoL
hey_yoda
hey_yoda
Canada
2002/12/30, 01:19 AM
You can do a real good workout with just a few dumbells and a bench. Chances are even a cheap gym will have these. What you need is knowledge and that's what this site is for! Forget about those personal trainers. They can't tell you any mopre than this and other sites on the web can. Sign up for a free trainers program to get you going. Fitness doesn't have to cost a lot of money.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/12/30, 10:37 AM
Great line yoda...fitness doesn't have to cost alot of money. There are many degrees of fit. You can get fit for your body in many ways. There are great programs here on fT for whatever your goal, even if you don't have access to a gym. You do not have to be a bodybuilder, and it is not for everyone. Remember, get fit by getting healthy first, good diet, any exercise is better than none. Once you reach your plateau there and you are happy, then maybe think about upping the intensity.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2002/12/31, 02:00 AM
I've got no money -full time student- but I make choices that leave a little wiggle room to pay for my gym pass. I don't have cable, and skipping that pays my $24 every month. The biggest thing for me is the expense of eating properly. Protein is expensive, especially chicken.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
lalababy
lalababy
United States
2003/01/02, 12:16 PM
try this... it's called the "thug workout". it shows you how to train when you don't have a lot of money.
Myways2
Myways2
Canada
2003/01/02, 03:26 PM
Yes but what about the expenses of eating properly...I'm beginning to run into this myself. I will have to go back to work soon and I will have to add child care costs to my already heavy debt load. All I know is that it doesn't make much sense that all the stuff that is good for you costs soooo much but yet you can by pastries and kraft dinner for less than 5 dollars...You would think that society would link some of these health related issues to the fact that to eat healthy is next to impossible for a lot of people in our society due to rise in our economy costs...any way if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
:0)
Lumina20
Lumina20
United States
2003/01/02, 03:52 PM
Shopping at a warehouse club is usually a good way to go. I can get a weeks worth of salmon (if I eat it everyday) for 8 dollars, 18 eggs are only 99 cents (much less than the grocery stores around here), and the milk is even cheaper.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/02, 03:56 PM
I just noticed you are in Montreal! The YMCA has a membership fee based on Income. Perhaps you should check it out. Or if you are Downtown, you might want to check out Dawson or Mcgill.
Good Luck

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada