Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

....training with chains...

dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/02/07, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know anything about training with chains? What are the benefits of this? My weightlifting instructor and d line coach are considering purchasing some to up the intensity of our workouts...just wondering if neone has any experience??

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/07, 11:20 PM
oh yea they are hard as HELL! man i worked out as a class( but with football players) and he made me use weird workouts and "test " it on me and see if it worked then used it on his football players........The chains as they get longer make the weight heavier......so say your bench pressing 200lbs if you add the chains, as yoru arms extend it get heavier and heavier, by the time you lock out it might be 230 somthing. This works well with maxing, usually you "lose the bar" near the half way point, so this helps with the lock out portion ( upper 1/2 ) of the bench press. KInda liek using bands. Except bands are worse they pull the bar down so you have to resist more

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
dhurt55
dhurt55
United States
2004/02/08, 10:07 AM
sweet...have u ever used them with squats????

--------------
"Without Pains, there come no Gains" -Benjamin Franklin
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/08, 01:37 PM
yea...........usualy you have to use two chains on either side........just so you know you'll love them but hate them cause you won't be able to walk......I always had to have 3 spotters in high school

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/08, 05:27 PM
I use chains. They offer accomodating resistance. This means that at the top of a movement the weight is heavier and at the bottom it is lighter. Think of your squat. Where are you strongest; the bottom or top? Think of your bench. Same deal. They allow you to train with a heavier than normal weight throughout the entire range of motion than with just straight weight.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/29, 02:15 PM
chains are awesome.
we just go some in our weight room, (a pair of 19lbs, but i plan on getting more) and they are amazing. I read about then in a magazine and had to try them. Since one of the hardest parts of the bench is the lower portion, it reduces some of the weight on it, so you they make the lift difficult throughout the lift, not just at the botttom. same with squats, as gatormade said. also, another advantage is that the eliminate the effects of momentum, which is a big positive.

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

'Isnt that lifestyle boring?'

"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny."
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/02/29, 04:02 PM
Those sound awesome. I'd like to try them.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
\"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.\" H. L. Hunt