Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

training program, any good????

dougnet
dougnet
United Kingdom
2005/06/29, 01:08 PM
HEllo,

have been doing this for the past month or so and we have noticed a difference, just wondering if we need to change anything to make most of it:

Each thing is 3 x 8 reps

Day 1 - Chest + Triceps - MON

3 x Press
3 x Incline Press
3 x Decline Press
3 x Dumbell Press
3 x Dumbell Flies
3 x Wide Grip Dips
3 x Tricep Pushdown
3 x Overhead Tricep Extentions
3x Lying Tricep Extentions
200 Crunches

Day 2 - Shoulders - WED
3 x Seated Press
4 x Shruggs
3 x Lateral Raises
3 x Overhead Press
3 x Alternate Front Raise
3 x Dumbell Circle
200 Crunches

Day 3 - Biceps + Back - FRI
3 x Standing Curls
3 x Seated Curls
3 x Preacher Curl
3 x Cable Curl
3 x Barbell Dropset
3 x Cable Row
3 x Lat Pulldown
3 x Wide Chin ups
3 x Dumbell Row
200 Crunches

Please let me know your thoughts, we are quite new to this!! :-)

Thanks
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/06/29, 01:49 PM
Looks like too much...no need for 3 or 4 repetitive motion exercises. Where's your leg workouts? Do not neglect your legs.

Get you an exercise program from here. They're great and target all muscle groups once per week (giving plenty of time for recovery). Once you make it through an 8 week routine, then if you feel like it customize it and change it up to whatever suits you. After 8 weeks you should have a good idea of what you need to be doing and when and how to do it.

Good luck!
dougnet
dougnet
United Kingdom
2005/06/29, 02:19 PM
hello,

thanks

Wot do you mean by :

no need for 3 or 4 repetitive motion exercises

Cheers
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/06/29, 02:30 PM
Break it up...you've got 3 x Standing Curls, 3 x Seated Curls, 3 x Preacher Curl, 3 x Cable Curl back to back on one day. Just as well you got 5 chest and 4 tri exercises on your Day 1. 2-3 max of each is really all you need. By the time you got to your last set you should have exhausted your muscles. Next week you can do different exercises to target different areas of the same muscles, but I would think it would be counter-productive in the long term to do so much each day.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong, so I'm sure someone more experienced will either confirm this or tell me I'm nuts (which wouldn't be the first time).
retrofish
retrofish
United States
2005/06/29, 04:42 PM
Where are the exercises for your lower back and legs?
dougnet
dougnet
United Kingdom
2005/06/29, 05:49 PM
Cheers guys,

what sort of programs do you lot have???

Cheers again...

:-)
dougnet
dougnet
United Kingdom
2005/06/30, 07:49 AM
Does that work????

You do nothing else???

sstump1
sstump1
United States
2005/06/30, 09:41 AM
doug...swarm is joking....old thread that went around for a while.

Right now I do the freetrainer program and 30 min of cardio 3 X's a week. Started out with a circuit program which is less emphasis on heavy weights and more emphasis on endurance by doing lighter weights for longer and rotating body parts per circuit (i.e. abs, lower, upper for 3 sets of each then change the exercise). More or less to get me used to the gym equipment and get the initial 10-12 lbs off my mid section. Worked great for that purpose but didn't build a lot of muscle.
krazyjoo1637
krazyjoo1637
United States
2005/07/02, 12:52 AM
NO LEGS!! Your legs are the foundation of your body, and in order for the rest of you to get stronger, your legs have to be strong too. Other than that, try to do less workouts, but be more intense. Instead of 3X8 do pyramids or supersets. Dont over work your muscles, you could actually lose mass that way. Keep training!!
dougnet
dougnet
United Kingdom
2005/07/02, 10:28 AM
thank for the advice - what have you found to be the most effective leg exercises??

Also, what are pyramids or supersets?????????

Cheers
Josh1122
Josh1122
United States
2005/07/05, 11:44 PM
Thats a good upper body spilt but I have a great lower spilt that worked wonders for me.

I have this sick lower excercise but its an 8-week program.
First you cant eat anything before this excercise because i promise you will throw up (I did the first time I did this routine), but after you have to eat and drink a protein shake.

Exercise 1
LEG EXTENSIONS
1 set of 20- warm up
1 set of 15
1 set of 12
1 set of 12

Exercise 2
SQUATS
1 set of 25 warm-up
4 sets of 20- about 50-60% of your max
rest about 1 min to 1.5 min

Exerise 3
LEG PRESS
4 sets of 50- USe around 40-60% of your max
DONT LOCK YOUR LEGS OUT AT TOP, KEEP MOVEMENT CONTROLLED

Exercise 4
HACK SQUATS
3 set of 12

After 8-10 weeks of this once or twice a week you will notice increased size and strength. Do this exercise around once to twice a week.

--------------
Don't think you cant do it know you can do it.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2005/07/06, 12:57 AM
4 sets of 50?!?!?!? WOW that just seems crazy to me. Are you trying to build muscle or endurance with that?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/07/06, 09:54 AM
ok ok good lord.....

back to orginal workout question...

1.You should have no more than 4 excercises for larg muscle grups.....5 at most.......no more than 4 for smaller ones.

example
benchpress 4 sets
incline db press 4 sets
decline flys 4 sets
cable cross overs 3 sets

rope extensions 4 sets
skull crushers 4 sets
kick backs 4 sets

or think of it this way......no more than 16 or 18 TOTAL sets for large muscle groups.....chest, shoulders, back...

No more than 15 for small ones.....calves, bi's , forearms,tris

2. There no need to do 200 crunches.....that won't get you a 6 pack.....Your diet will....you need less body fat to see abbs......You ned to research the thought of guaility over guanity.....I can make my abbs burn like hell....just by doing 15 or 20....less is better in the weight lifting world

3. change up your reps.....8 is not a magic number......do higher reps for skulpting excercises( flys, concentrartion curls) and and lower reps for big muscle builders(bench, squats, military, BOR's).......stary off with 12 reps on bench....then do 10...then 2 sets of 8....or go down to 6....by not changing your reps....your body will adjust and get bored.....and not grow...

4. WORK YOUR DAMN LEGS.....Squats, leg presses, lunges....if you want a nice upper body.....then your gonn a have to work legs........Look at the guys at your gym...theres 2 kinds of guys.....ones who don't train legs properly....and ones who do.......then ones who do.....are th ebiggest and strongest guys in gym......the others....well...Just do arms and chest.....and wonder why they can't bench more or get any bigger....

5. Any workout program will do....4sets of 10.....or 10 sets of 3.......it all comes down to diet.....what your eating every single day....you eat alot fo fast food.....well your gonna look liek you eat alot of fast food......but if you wanan be strong, hard and healthy.....find the post "grocery list for a bodybuilder"....gives you a list of heathly foods you can eat....

Most of what I said are based on you being a beginer, or intermediate into working out......however nothing of what i said are ingraved in stone......I break the rules alot on some stuff.....but intill you can learn, and know what you body can do and can't do......or take and can't take....keep the workouts brief......read......eat..and grow....knowledge, the brain is a big role in working out.

--------------
Friends don\'t let friends squat high...
krazyjoo1637
krazyjoo1637
United States
2005/07/07, 10:01 PM
A superset is when you go from one workout straight into another of the same muscle group without a rest. You may have to decrease the weights to finish the sets, but it will burn!. Pyramids are when you do four or more sets, but you do you reps in either increaceing or decreacing order. For example, you can do 4 sets of 12, 8, 6, 4. Or vice versa. Each time you should change the amount of weight. Its just another way to keep your muscles in shock by not doing a set amount each time.
Josh1122
Josh1122
United States
2005/07/11, 02:48 AM
Listen guys in my EXTREME SET you are trying to shock your lowers to the point of failure. Yes you are trying to build muscle and endurance for much heavier weight.

This program I recieved via another site and I saw extreme results. You will not be disapointed I promise and gurantee.:dumbbell:

Listen I saw great results at the end of those 8 weeks TRUST ME if you decide to my spilt your time will not be wasted.

I must stress how great this program is, I know it seems like a little much and you will be hurting for 2-4 days after the workout but trust me this program will alter your lower body capibilites.

I saw increased strenght and muscle mass at the end of those 8 weeks. It was incredible and I hope you try my program for lower body like I said before this will not disapoint.

--------------
2005/07/11, 04:18 AM
great...are you beginner? intermediate?advanced? what did you prior to the program?...etc?

are you referring to the original post? because that program wasn't all that great...it had no lower back/leg work of any sort....
Josh1122
Josh1122
United States
2005/07/12, 06:01 PM
I like to think of myself as an intermediate because I dont know everything and I'm always learning new techniques. This is a personal workout I recieved via another site, but I did some improvments to it and modified it. In my program I usually do a bit of cardio to warm up before the exercise like around a 5 min jog/run. :dumbbell:

In my post Im referring to a full Lower day/Quad workout. THIS PROGRAM IS MEANT TO REPLACE YOUR LOWER DAY SPLIT. This doesnt include any calf exercises because your calves will get a workout too will this program, but it's up to you if want to do calves. I'll post it again here. :dumbbell:

Thats a good upper body spilt but I have a great lower spilt that worked wonders for me. But I suggest you train hamstrings on a different day because you'll be in no shape to do anything after you've completed this leg workout. :big_smile:

I have this sick lower excercise but its an 8-week program.
First you cant eat anything before this excercise because i promise you will throw up (I did the first time I did this routine), but after you have to eat and drink a protein shake.

Exercise 1
LEG EXTENSIONS
1 set of 20- warm up
1 set of 15
1 set of 12
1 set of 12
Around 40 sec to Min rest.

Exercise 2
SQUATS
1 set of 25 warm-up
4 sets of 20- about 50-60% of your max
Rest about 1 min to 1.5 min, but steadyily increase the weight.

Exerise 3
LEG PRESS
4 sets of 50- Use around 40-60% of your max
(VERY IMPORTANT) DONT LOCK YOUR LEGS OUT AT TOP, KEEP MOVEMENT CONTROLLED.

Exercise 4
HACK SQUATS
3 set of 12

After 8-10 weeks of this once or twice a week you will notice increased size and strength. Do this exercise around once to twice a week.

--------------
Josh1122
Josh1122
United States
2005/07/12, 06:04 PM
Oh I forgot to say do this program ONLY ONCE A WEEK for 8-10 weeks but, if it works for like it did for me you will be doing this every week.

IF YOU DO IT MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK YOU WILL HAVE WASTED YOUR TIME.

--------------
moochy
moochy
Australia
2009/10/04, 01:23 AM
Hi, just new to ft and Ive been given diet and exercise help however all the exercise involves crunches and bicps curls etc. Since I want to lose weight should I be doing Cardio work out?
Robyn