Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Training For The Strongman Competition

CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/04/14, 06:58 PM
Hey guys. Just had a quick question. My husband wants to at some point start training for the strongest man in the world competition that you see on tv. Without working out at all, lifting 400+ lbs is no problem for him, so I think he could probably do it. I was just wondering what kind of training he would need to do in order to get prepared for it?? Thanks for your answers in advance!! :big_smile:
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/04/14, 07:56 PM
he may have natural strength, but those guys who do it on TV have been training for that competition for years and years. they have been lifting weights and training since they could do subtraction. so i'm not sure if you can just jump on the bandwagon for that competition late in life. i'm not trying to be a bummer but i'm just making a deduction from what i have read and heard about those guys and comparing it to someone who has never lifted.

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2004/04/14, 09:11 PM
good point, cuz those guys have unreal genetics too, but have been training at it for the better part of their life. If he works really hard he could maybe do it, but it would take years, rather than just a few months or a year.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/04/15, 11:31 AM
Oh I wasn't thinking he could start today and be ready next year...I was thinking he could start now and be ready in like 5-7 years. He is only 19 at the moment, so he has lots of time....what should he start out with? Anything different from the usual diet and lifting?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/04/15, 11:37 AM
He would need to focus on build a good base of strenght, and endurance. Gator has posted a few good plans for this. Plus he should look into the acutal events and train with them as well. Lifting a barbell is one thing and does not compare to lifting a 500lb tire of carrying 2 anvils 50 yds does that make sense LOL hope so!

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/04/15, 12:57 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Mutt. These guys are strong as hell, but they also do some awkward lifts. Lifting that boulder for one is hard as hell. So yeah he needs to watch the show and train in some of the events. He may want to do some searching online also to see if there is any specific training out there. I thought about competing in 2005, then I remembered that I am a weak bitch.

--------------
My gym dues are not paid with money.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/04/19, 03:48 PM
Yea theres weight room strength,,..... then theres world strongest man strength.......these guys are 300+ lbs and have beeing working out for 7 8 years, and they have crap in their back yard the pull push and throw around to prepare for it. I have small hands so me carrying 400lbs and arm for a football fild would suck........I have thought about it myself too, however one time i had to move a 350lb air conditioner unit by myself, from my front yard, to the garage( 120ft away) with crap in the way ( trees, rocks, car) by the time i got there, i was dead tired and my hands got the skin pulled off them. And i was wearing gloves lol.........think long and hard.. many people have said in mags, if you think about doing that, think about it hard cause if you get an injury in that, it could kill you. A car could fall on you etc. Many people carriers have been set back trying to do that. I woudl love to my self, but i'm way to small

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/04/21, 12:12 AM
And in addition to the great routines posted under this thread, I also suggest the book "Dinosaur Training" by Kubik. A great book on learning what some call "functional strength."

Tell your husband we wish him good luck. Better yet, have him sign up here at FTs so we can keep tabs on his progress! :big_smile:

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/04/22, 04:31 PM
rev~ Thanks for the book suggestion. My husband doesn't read (he can, just doesn't like to) but I will pick it up and then relay the info to him. I actually set him up an account here, but he never uses it. His computer time is spent playing games. However, my working out has him looking at his little bit of a tummy and he has mentioned a few times in the past week that he is thinking of starting to train. We will see what happens!!! :big_smile:
2004/04/22, 05:34 PM
There are a couple of dinosaur training articles here. It's just like playing in the mud. Your husband will love it.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie