Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Training after ACL surgery

Tazz7
Tazz7
United States
2003/12/08, 01:49 AM
Hey guys,
I recently had surgery to repair my torn ACL in my right knee. I play baseball now, used to play football, and injured it playing pick up football. I love agility and speed training, and I want to start it up again at some point. Has anyone recovered? Will I be able to return to FULL activity? Can I make sharp football cuts and full speed running after recovery? Any help would be appreciated!

J
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2003/12/12, 01:00 AM
Had same surgery; your knee will never be the same; make up for the anomaly by growing quads, hamstrings, and calves, and wear your brace anytime you will be doing quick-shifting or turning movements.

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/12/16, 09:28 AM
That is not true. Every one is different. There is a good chance that, with proper rehab and strengthening, you will be 100% again and will be able to make those fast cuts.
Dpiddy
Dpiddy
United States
2004/07/15, 05:46 PM
I recently had arthroscopic surgery on my ACL, 3 weeks ago. I am up and walking now with full bend. Are there any workout programs I can do to rebuild what I used to have in my legs now? Or do i need to wait?
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2004/07/27, 12:46 PM
Been there, done that. DEFINATELY DO NOT WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!

Will it ever be 100%? Can't say. I don't ski or make fast cuts since then, but I still play judo regularly. It will probably feel uncertain for years - though a lot of that may be mental.

Ask your Dr. S/he will be in the best position to answer that, based on the information s/he gets from you. I say push the envelope, but do it gently for the first year or 2.

If it was done real recently, go as fast as your Dr. thinks you are able. I highly recommend swimming as rehab - minor weight bearing, lots of knee activity.

It also will depend on what you had done. When you say "ACL repair," do you mean they went in & stitched it, they just scoped it, or did they reroute your patella tendon or give you an ACL from a cadaver? Depending on what was done, different levels of rehab may be required. I know mine sidelined me for an entire summer, but I had to go with the patella rerouting which is a bit more intensive that a scope & stitch!

Best advice: Listen to your Dr! Good luck, & hope y'all are doing better soon.

--------------
Hey, I never clamed to bee the brightist brick in the boks.