Group: All Else Lounge

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 42, Messages: 22740

This is the place you can discuss anything else that is on your mind that isn't already covered by other groups. Share what's on your mind and see who else has something to say about it!

Join group

This is an interesting questions.

severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/13, 05:14 PM
Ok so you know how everyone says that you have to find what works for you? If thats the case and not everyone is able to use the same diet for success, then how can we say that 1-2 lbs a week is the best amount to lose for maximum results? If every body is different and needs to find it's own diet routine, why can't the same be said about weight loss?

I feel that maybe 5-7 lbs would be the max safest amount, as long as you pay attention to how you feel. Now I'm not condoning you to go out and try to lose 7 lbs a week. I know that bigger people lose more faster than others. So why not say for healthy people who are not obese or overweight by a substantial amount, 1-2 lbs a week is the safest amount to lose?

I was just curious what the beliefs and facts behind that idea of safe weight loss.
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/13, 05:21 PM
If you lose weight quickly, chances are you're doing it by being extremely unhealthy.. especially if you're up to 7 lbs a week, that's crazy. Overweight people lose quicker than others because they simply have more weight to lose. That's why it's so much easier for an obese person to lose than it is a normal sized person. If you stick to around 1-2 lbs a week, you have a better chance of keeping it off because you've most likely made a healthy lifestyle change that you will be able to maintain safely.
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/14, 12:50 AM
Well, Bigger people lose more because they expel more energy doing things. It's the same concept as your v-8 engine as opposed to a 4 cylinder. If you were getting about 15 miles per gallon for a v8 this would be considered normal, but if you were getting 15 miles to the gallon for a 4 cylinder. Something is definitely wrong with your engine.

It takes more calories for a bigger person to exist than a small, or fit person. So it is normal to see bigger weight loss number in large people over the first couple of months.

So if a big person loses on average 3-5lbs a week for the first couple of months, should they be worried?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/03/14, 08:44 AM
You have to understand that the figure is relative. That is, 1-2 lbs. per week is and should be an 'average'. Weight loss/fat loss is not a linear proposition. Some weeks you may lose nothing, other weeks you may losse 4 lbs. Your body gets 'primed' so to speak during periods of dieting, and thus some weeks nothing, other weeks more. But the average will be around 1-2 lbs. in most cases.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/03/14, 10:31 AM
If you are losing an average 5-7lbs a week then you created a calorie deficit that unsafe. Two really bad things happen.

1)
Your metabolism shuts down. Ideally when you are losing weight you want to stimulate your metabolism to work harder and hence burn more fat. If you're starving yourself it will slow down and if you do this long enough it will semi-semipermanently shutdown. In other words, when you start eating more again you will gain weight at a faster pace. It can be repaired, but it is a pain in the ass.

2)
At that rate of loss you will lose a significant amount of muscle. In the end you might lose 50lbs, but you will just look like a smaller version of what you looked like before. (Still soft and flabby)

Different diets work for different people mainly because they have different food tolerances. Some people are really sensitive to carbs (most Americans) and therefore tend to do better on low carb diets. If you are already kind of lean then you can eat more carbs.

The differences in diets doesn't change the fact that if you lose weight at too fast a pace it will cause some metabolic damage and increase muscle loss.
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/14, 12:21 PM
I've heard that a low carb or no carb diet zaps your energy levels big time. Anyone know if that is true?

============
Quoting from Pemdas:

If you are losing an average 5-7lbs a week then you created a calorie deficit that unsafe. Two really bad things happen.

1)
Your metabolism shuts down. Ideally when you are losing weight you want to stimulate your metabolism to work harder and hence burn more fat. If you're starving yourself it will slow down and if you do this long enough it will semi-semipermanently shutdown. In other words, when you start eating more again you will gain weight at a faster pace. It can be repaired, but it is a pain in the ass.

2)
At that rate of loss you will lose a significant amount of muscle. In the end you might lose 50lbs, but you will just look like a smaller version of what you looked like before. (Still soft and flabby)

Different diets work for different people mainly because they have different food tolerances. Some people are really sensitive to carbs (most Americans) and therefore tend to do better on low carb diets. If you are already kind of lean then you can eat more carbs.

The differences in diets doesn't change the fact that if you lose weight at too fast a pace it will cause some metabolic damage and increase muscle loss.

=============
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/14, 12:26 PM
It does zap your energy, but I don't know exactly why. I don't agree with no carb diets, because in my opinion you should never completely cut out a food group, plus after awhile all you'll want is carbs and you'll give in and go gung-ho on them.

I need carbs, and when I don't get enough I get crabby and start craving them after only a day of not eating them. I go through carb withdrawls I think. Maybe I'm just addicted though! :laugh:
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/14, 12:48 PM
I think that is so true. I'm a carbaholic myself. And if we deprive our bodies of something we will eventually give into the craving and go over board! Carbs are an energy source or they seem to have that affect on me. So I was curious to see what everyone else's thought were on it. My fiance keeps telling me to back off the carbs and beer of course (dang it! ) I'm getting the infamous gut along with putting on a some around the hips,butt and back-thigh area. But hey, I'm 45 years old and didn't start getting thse extras until I quit smoking last December. And that's where women seem to pack it on I'm assuming because we are the child-bearing sex. But it sure is a lot harder to get off than when you are 20 something. I don't think I even tried back then and ate like a horse!!! UGGGHHH :angry:
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/03/14, 01:33 PM
I don't agree with no carb diets either, but pretty much anyone dieting should significantly reduce their carb intake. For most people this will mean just eating the amount that you're supposed to instead 10 times what they need. Also, I don't think you need to count the carbs you get from veggies. I am talking about bread, pasta, potatoes, beer...ect.
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/14, 01:41 PM
Yeah beer...........that's the bummer!! So when you say significantly you mean maybe one time a day and small portion? Sorry I sound ignorant but am somewhat :(
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/14, 01:47 PM
Never really had to watch my eating as I have in the past few months. Also been considered a healthy eaters and never really cared for sweets or junk food but since December......YIKES the weight or should I say repositioning has freaked me out. I'm 5'6" and 124 but because of my small frame I feel better and less "heavy" at 118. It's mostly my stomach (it seems huge to me!)
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2008/03/14, 01:57 PM
mwa,
Most people literally eat 10 times the number of carbs that they are supposed. So, when I say significantly it could just mean eating what you are suppose to. Or it could just mean eating 200-300g instead of 300-400g. As for the timing part of it...I am not really an expert on that. I know that you should eat some after you workout, but beyond that I don't really know. I think you would be fine just spacing it out.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/14, 02:19 PM
The theory is that carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels, which then kicks in insulin. Insulin drives blood sugar into the cells and prevents fat breakdown in the body, so you won't burn excess fat and lose weight.

Proponents of low-carb diets take this one step further. They say that if carbohydrates raise blood sugar and insulin levels and cause weight gain, a decrease in carbs will result in lower blood sugar and insulin levels, leading to weight loss. And because you're not eating the carbs, your body breaks down fat to provide needed energy. Some people do lose weight on low-carb diets, but the weight loss probably isn't related to blood sugar and insulin levels to any extent.

--------------
How do you feel? That is the question
But I forget.. you dont expect an easy answer
When something like a soul becomes
Initialized and folded up like paper dolls and little notes
You cant expect a bit of hope
So while youre outside looking in
Describing what you see
Remember what youre staring at is me.
----------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Bill

momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/14, 03:27 PM
Due to increased insulin levels would that be the cause of the belly fat?
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/14, 06:32 PM
Alright, Thank you for breaking it down for me. I was very confused by this question because I've never seen any of the "Diet Guru's" explain this or break it down...

YUCK carb talk, Should you REALLY have to worry about all that different stuff, like counting carbs, protein, fat, etc. I honestly don't like doing that because it irritates me and makes dieting and cutting back SOOOO complicated that I don't even wanna do it anymore.

lol I just wanna find a lazy mans diet... is that so much to ask!?
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/14, 07:22 PM
I honestly don't count anything.

I only drink water, I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, I don't eat fast food EVER (except Subway), I eat 4-5 times a day, always healthy food, and I have a cheat day once a week where I eat whatever I want. I try to eat all food groups every day, and I take a multi, vitamin c, and calcium supplements everyday. And I exercise of course.

It seems to work for me. All I do is use common sense. Some people might disagree with this and say you need to count everything, but really, who has the time to do that every meal/snack??
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/14, 07:51 PM
Same here, I watch calories, I have about 4-6 meals a day.(I rarely get up early lol) I try to keep them around 2-300 calories a meal.

The biggest problem I've had so far is controlling my meals at night, I'm used to having a big meal for dinner. lol.

I just oggta get the exercise routine down, after reading the thread about cardio making you fat, I don't know where I should continue to walk my 4 miles a day or what!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/15, 09:41 PM

============
Quoting from momwithattitude:

Due to increased insulin levels would that be the cause of the belly fat?
=============

Intaking more carbs than you use per day cause you to store weight, no matter where on your body.

--------------
Describing what you see
----------

Bill

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/15, 09:50 PM
Severrin, the one major reason i track my food, besides im diabetic now, is that it keeps me honest, and when i fill out that form at the end of day, i feel great, knowing im taking control of my destiny, if i fail in my efforts its because i was lacking somewhere, in my diet, my exercise program, etc. honestly i find the exercise more of a pain in the ass, literally :P , and would be content just filling out my food log..... I use calorieking.net for my food log, it takes me about 10 minutes to input the food from the asy to use drop down menus, input my daily exercise log and water intake and i get a specific print out of exactly where i satnd on my daily allowences for cals/carbs/fats/exercise, i find it a key part of my new lifestyle.... Ask anyone, a food log helps tremendously.

--------------
Describing what you see
----------

Bill

yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/15, 10:25 PM
I agree that food logs are a great help to anybody starting a diet. Many people really don't realize just how many calories they take in each day. Also, as Bill said, by writing everything down you become very aware of what you've eaten, and you're less likely to cheat if you have to go through the effort of writing it down. I kept one for about a week and I had it upstairs, so every time I ate I had to go all the way up just to write it down. Talk about a pain haha.

I don't keep one because I am very aware of the foods I eat and what they contain. I'm also lucky enough to live in a house where nutrition/exercise is very important. For me it was like taking notes on a topic I already fully understood. I would recommend them to anybody though, as they really are a great help for becoming aware of what you put into your body everyday.
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/16, 01:19 AM
Yea, I hate food logs.

I just find it such a pain to keep a food log, I'm much happier with eating the same things everyday K.I.S.S.

I'm a simple man, and when things get complicated I don't like it. I have a "core foods" set up, I'm doing slim fast right now also.

I had the slim fat for the breakfast with a slice of whole wheat bread with a tbsp of peanut butter, apples or oranges for a snack. then lunch is slimfast and a turkey sammich. then broccoli n cheese snack pack for snack, and a decent dinner. mostly chicken and the 2 serving broccoli and cheese or a steamed veggies pack. every once in a while i'll swap the fruits for other fruits, maybe get enough salad for five days. just keeping it simple, make it easy for me not to cheat.

I have water all the time, an one 20 oz G2 gatorade. it's like 70 cals for the entire bottle. and i drink one bottle through out the whole day.

I've stopped doing my physical activity, i'm very easily discouraged but when my motivation is up i'm doing it everyday.

it doesn't make things easier living in a house that doesn't care about their health either. i'm sorry but frying an egg in hamburger grease is just NASTY
again
again
United States
2008/03/16, 09:08 AM
Hi severin,

I totally understand the difficulty living in a house with of themselves. My husband has basically totally given up on trying. His health has deteriorated very quickly and I don't know how long he'll be around. I realized that I am not doing much better because I am obese and found this sight as I began, again. I have tried everything to lose weight and often been successful for years at a time. I have been maintaining a forty pound loss for three years but have the rest of the 140 pounds to lose. I had given up myself.

So here's the thing. We are the only one's who truly have to live with ourselves. We can't change those around us and we can set healthy boundaries...please don't let those around you, even those with whom you live, decide whether or not you get healthy. I'll start my exercise today if you will...I am working for 20-60 minutes of movement or strength training everyday, even if it's just a mile or two out with my puppy. Up for the challenge?

Best of health and life,

Sam (again)
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/16, 09:25 AM
Severrin,

Just make sure that you're not always eating the same things every single day. Eventually your body will get bored with it. Also, the best way to beat a plateau is to change up your diet a bit. There are hundreds of healthy recepies out there, even right here in the diet thread.

Also, don't quit your physical activity! What happened to your walking 4 miles everyday?? You really should aim for at least a half an hour of cardio each day. Good luck with your motivation!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/16, 10:00 AM

============
Quoting from severrin:

I just oggta get the exercise routine down, after reading the thread about cardio making you fat, I don't know where I should continue to walk my 4 miles a day or what!
=============

Cardio makes you fat, where'd you read that crap ? yes, HIIT and working with weights and machines on your body are better and help burn fat quicker, some exercise is 1000% better than none.....

4 days a week this is my cardio routine......

10 minutes stretch to losen and warm up muscles
10 minutes treadmill slow paced 2.5 - 3.0 mph
4 minutes of HIIT, broken down as
30 seconds jogging about 5-6 mph
30 seconds all out running bout 7.5-9 mph
30 seconds jogging about 5-6 mph
30 seconds all out running bout 7.5-9 mph
3 minutes cool down period about 1 mph....

Then im done, i shoot right home and take my Whey protein shake..

I add 30 seconds per week and work accordingly, but someone with my heart problem has to take it slow, which i feel i am, my body tells me to slow or stop when needed.

Then im done, i shoot right home and take my Whey protein shake..

Dont give up on exercise bro.

--------------
Describing what you see
----------

Bill

yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/16, 11:15 AM
Haha it was actually my post Bill. It's called what does everybody think about this?? and it's in this section. It's only if you always do low intensity or something though. It's pretty scientific, therefore I don't understand! :laugh:
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/16, 06:44 PM
Hehe, i wasnt making fun of you jess, just playing.....

But here it is in non scientific words, it may help you understand, its all about proper diet.

This process is called "protein turnover." Your body is constantly alternating back and forth between anabolic (building) and catabolic (breaking down) cycles. That's just a normal part of life. Your goal is simply to tip the scales slightly in favor of increasing the anabolic side and reducing the catabolic side just enough so you stay on the anabolic side and you gain or at least maintain muscle.

This fact of human physiology has often been taken out of context and used to scare people into not doing cardiovascular exercise for fear of losing muscle. When you fast overnight as you sleep, you lose muscle too, but that doesn't mean you should stop sleeping!

Sure, it's possible for you to lose muscle from doing too much cardio, but it's highly unlikely. Shying away from cardio completely because you think you'll lose muscle is a huge mistake. Only excessive amounts of cardio would cause you to lose muscle because over-training tips the scale towards the catabolic side. It's difficult to generalize and pinpoint one specific amount as too much, but I think it's safe to assume that just about anyone could do up to 45 -60 minutes of cardio a day, 6 to 7 days a week without losing any muscle - as long as the proper nutritional support is provided.:love:

--------------
Describing what you see
----------

Bill

severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/16, 08:06 PM
Yea, I'm gonna start again in the morning. The last week has been a moment of weakness for me.

I'm just going to start walking to the recruiters everyday so I know I'll get at least my minimum miles in. I've been trying for a long time with my weight, and I've always wanted to be fit enough to get into the military. I always hear about recruiters who've helped other recruits get under weight to get in, but I've never been able to meet one of those awesome dudes. Now I actually have a recruiter thats willing to help me stay motivated. I don't know why I get so unmotivated so easily, ohwell.

But tomorrow I'm back in the physical game baby!
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/16, 09:42 PM
Ahh.. thank you Bill! It helps when people talk to me about things like that in my native language of idon'tunderstandbigwords.:laugh: But anyways, I get it now!

Severrin.. good luck getting into the army and staying motivated!!
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/18, 02:34 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Heres another interesting thing I was told last night.

Evidently if you drink nothing but lemonade for 3 days straight, I mean don't eat nothing when you're hungry just drink lemonade. If you do that for 3 days straight it will supercharge your metabolism, and then you can eat whatever you want. Now the funny thing about this was I was told this by a friend of mine who's a runner, when I say runner I mean he enlisted for the marines and on the first day beat all of the gunnies in a 2 miles race by TEN MINUTES.

I think it sounds whacked out, what do you guys/girls think?
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2008/03/18, 05:39 PM
Yea and you can get a great look at a steak by sticking your head up the cows butt but id rather take the butchers word for it.......:laugh:

--------------
Describing what you see
----------

Bill

severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/20, 02:40 AM
Hahaha, That was I was thinking also. I'm pulling the "Lets not and say I did" act on that one.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/20, 10:53 AM
I'm calling bullshit.

============
Quoting from severrin:

this by a friend of mine who's a runner, when I say runner I mean he enlisted for the marines and on the first day beat all of the gunnies in a 2 miles race by TEN MINUTES.

=============

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/20, 11:29 AM
That sounds pretty hard to believe to me too. Did you actually see him do it or did he just tell you it happened?

Also, on the lemonade diet.. that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Starving yourself will slow down your metabolism, not speed it up. There is no food/beverage that will "supercharge your metabolism and allow you to eat anything you want." Of course you'll lose weight, but the minute you put real food into your mouth again you'll gain it right back, probably more too.
again
again
United States
2008/03/21, 02:39 AM
Go Jess Go! You know I wonder sometimes what drives us to do things that don't make sense with the sincere desire that if we try this harder for a longer period of time we will get different results. Exercise, eat a variety of high quality foods in sensible amounts and drink plenty of clean water. Simple, sensible.

Sam
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/21, 07:00 PM
Yea, I've never seen him do it, but he is skinny as all hell. like REALLY skinny, but not anorexic.

In other news I have 1.2 lbs to go for my first goal!!! SWEET.
severrin
severrin
United States
2008/03/25, 03:19 PM
yes! I hit my first goal. righteous!!!

So I was told that natural carbs doesn't affect your body, and you don't have to watch them and this included beer. but processed carbs are bad and you shouldn't have any at all. What do you think!?
yessicarathsak
yessicarathsak
United States
2008/03/25, 03:56 PM
Great job severrin!!

I'm not sure about the carb thing, as I don't watch mine at all. I know beer makes you fat so if you're on a really clean diet, don't drink it. Some people say to watch what fruits and veggies you eat b/c of the carbs and sugars, but I disagree with that 100%. Who do you know of that's gotten fat off fruits and veggies??? :laugh:
momwithattitude
momwithattitude
United States
2008/03/25, 04:04 PM
Congrats sunshine! :)
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/03/26, 01:37 PM
============
Quoting from severrin:

Yea, I've never seen him do it, but he is skinny as all hell. like REALLY skinny, but not anorexic.

=============

Regardless of how skinny he is, it's basically impossible to do, unless he was competing against cripples.

A good 2 mile time would be considered somewhere under 10 minutes. That would mean the guys he was running against, while physically fit, were unable to run a 20 minute 2 mile.

Your friend is full of it.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
dardvl1991
dardvl1991
United States
2008/05/14, 04:15 PM
that is true but lemonade eats the enamel on your teeth it has strong acid and alot of sugar so it ruins your teeth.

============
Quoting from severrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Heres another interesting thing I was told last night.

Evidently if you drink nothing but lemonade for 3 days straight, I mean don't eat nothing when you're hungry just drink lemonade. If you do that for 3 days straight it will supercharge your metabolism, and then you can eat whatever you want. Now the funny thing about this was I was told this by a friend of mine who's a runner, when I say runner I mean he enlisted for the marines and on the first day beat all of the gunnies in a 2 miles race by TEN MINUTES.

=============

--------------
¢¾~The Blonde Female Wrestler~¢¾
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/05/16, 08:50 PM
yeah, sorry sev your friend is full of it. the marines have higher fitness standards then that...

============
Quoting from severrin:

=============
docksideguy05
docksideguy05
United States
2008/05/16, 08:53 PM
even if those marines were in moderately good shape and only ran 7 minute miles so a 14 minute two mile. that'd mean that your friend would have to do a 4 minute two mile. running a mile in 2 minutes just isn't possible...