Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

supplements are a must for muscle gain?

anewfoundsin
anewfoundsin
United States
2003/01/04, 08:20 PM
are supplements are a must if i want quick muscle gain? is it okay to go work out and NOT take any supplements? or will it take longer? if supplements are a must, what kinds/brands are recommeneded?

thanks
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/04, 08:55 PM
Supplements are NOT a must. I am not down playing them as i use them myself.
But they are just that, supplements. They are to enhance your regular diet. It is hard to get the required amount of protien into your body in a 24 hr period, so, a person takes protein as supplementation. Creatine is another good supplement. It is found in most meats and fish but not enough for muscle building. As for paricular types of protien whey is better quality. If you go with creatine, ut should be pure creatine monohydrate.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
ageis
ageis
United States
2003/01/04, 11:55 PM
If you want quick muscle gain, good luck finding it, just don't kill yourself. It's ok to go work out without supplements. It's often the better road to take and then take supplements when you've peaked to aid you further and beyond. What carivan said, whey protein is great stuff. L-Glutamine mixed with it makes it even better. So lotsa protein should noticeably bulk you up somewhat 1g per pound is the recommended dosage. Welcome to ft.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/01/05, 12:58 PM
I would not classify them as a "Must", but fairly close for quicker gains. It is hard to gnaw your way through all the protein you need in a day, so one great place for protein shakes. I would say protein would be your number one essential supplement. Followed closely by MRP's. Great nutrition on the go. Then if you choose, to enhance your gains creatine and L-Glutamine.

--------------
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
anewfoundsin
anewfoundsin
United States
2003/01/07, 01:32 AM
well i dont eat much meat and personally dislike meat so im best in takin creatine and protein?
other question,
dont they sell protein pills in the pharamacy? are they the same thing as to protein powder/shakes they sell in the fitness stores? and finally what brand is best or you recommend?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/01/07, 05:11 PM
Go with a protien powder, best form when mixed with a liquid (preferably water or 1%fat milk.
Meat is NOT the only source of protien. There are many vegans who get protien from other sources like soy, tofu, cottage cheese, egg whites, chicken breast. The brand is all up to you. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of entries about this.
Good Luck.

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada