Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Struggleing with my Diet

Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/18, 01:37 PM
First off, My Main goal is to reduce Body Fat and increase Lean Muscle. I have been using a Fitness routine from this site for about 4 weeks and have been working out at least 3 days a week for about 2 months prior to that.

According to the site Nutritional Calculator, I should be eating about 2500 calories to maintain my weight. Since I am am trying to actually lose Body Fat (about 20% when I started), I am trying to eat less than the 2500 daily calories.

The Breakdown is as follows
162g Protein
405g Carbs
32g Fats

Now for the problem... I have found that I struggle to actually get 2000 calories in during the day when I eat Better. Additionally, the majority of my calorie intake is from Fat.

I need a way to get more Protein without additional Fat Content. Also, I need some Better Snack Ideas.

Thanks,
Cliff
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/18, 02:05 PM
Tuna, , nonfat cottage cheese, egg whites...the nutritional plan looks carb heavy and fat light to me, just my opinion. i would cut your carbs back and eat more healthy fats and protein.

Snack ideas,,like portable? I am not sure what you mean, any meal can be a snack.

Here is what i take to the movies when we go (instead of eating buttered popcorn, lol, NOT on my plan)

Amy's Movie Mix

2 med carrots, cut into bite size chunks
24 almonds, dry roasted
4-6 oz turkey jerky, cut into bite size pieces

throw it in a bag and you are set!

Apples make an excellent snack, with a handful of almonds

lowfat string cheese, hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies, homemade oatmeal cookies (healthy version)

My daughter was unhappy with the breakfast choices at school, so I made up a healthy oatmeal cookie recipe that she really liked..I will try to find the recipe and post it - it has fiber, carbs, protein and a little fat. Add a glas of skim milk and you have it made..hang on...

--------------
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they\'re yours.
Richard Bach

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/18, 02:27 PM
Well, the recipe was stored on my computer that has committed suicide, and i can't seem to find it with a google search..

Simplest breakfast cookie recipe i did was Oats, milk, crushed pineapple, cinnamon, splenda and egg whites, combine to batter, pour in spoonfuls onto hot non-stick pan

cook until golden, turning once.

--------------
Richard Bach

Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/18, 02:38 PM
Thanks Amy, I appreciate the Ideas.. Please keep them coming..

Unfortunately, I have never been able to choke down Cottage Cheese.

Apples, Oranges, Banana's, Strawberies, and Grapes have been a great snack typically. However, I think I need something with more protein content.

Until I began getting back into shape and trying to eat better/right, I would typically skip breakfast and eat way to much for lunch and dinner. Now, I try to eat or drink something for breakfast lunch and Dinner, then have at least a light snack or small meal at mid morning and mid afternoon. I just want to make sure I am eating the right amounts and types of foods.

I thought the Diet/nutritional plan was a little high for Carbs and low for Fats also. Do you have any recommendations for what these amounts should be?

Thanks Again,
Cliff
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/19, 07:06 AM
What do you weigh? You can send me an IM if you don't want to post it here.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/07/19, 08:41 AM
Beware of the calculator on this site, it is notoriously high.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/19, 09:35 PM
I currently weigh 167 and when I started working out and eating better, I was at 163.

Adding weight really does not bother me, because, It's obvious that I feel better and am in better shape than when I started. I just want to drop some of the BF snd become more lean. Additionally, I don't want to continue Gaining a LOT of weight just to get stronger. I hope that makes sense.

Cliff
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/19, 09:36 PM
What do you mean High...
Do you mean the nutrirional Caluclator is high, or the Foods from the DB are high.

Cliff

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Beware of the calculator on this site, it is notoriously high.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/19, 09:53 PM
the calculator is high.

i would try 2000 calories to start with.
about 200g carbs
150 grams protein
66g fat

See how you do with those amounts for a few weeks.
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/20, 09:57 PM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

the calculator is high.

i would try 2000 calories to start with.
about 200g carbs
150 grams protein
66g fat

See how you do with those amounts for a few weeks.
=============
OK, I'll start working for these values.
I should be able to keep the Fat and Carb values in check. However, I'm pretty sure I will still have trouble with getting enough protein.

Are there any recommendations for a good protein supplement/shake?

Thanks again,
Cliff
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/20, 10:00 PM
I am the wrong person to ask, I am notorious for liking protein powders that friends can't stand, lol.

Lots of protein powder discussions in the supplements forum, I think.

--------------
Richard Bach

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/07/22, 02:13 PM
Cliff - try 2000 and see how your body responds, if you don't lose weight in a few weeks go down to 1900 and keep proceeding like that until you find the calorie amount that allows you to blast through your workouts, but still lose fat. I hope that makes sense.

There is no one set calculator for everyone because there are so many things that effect your personal metabolism and how efficiently your body is using fuel and whether you are in a fat-burning situation or a fat storing situation. alot of factors go into fat burning vs. fat storing. also - it takes time for your body to switch gears and start dropping stored fat, so pick a calorie amount and be very rigid with it, then evaluate as you go.
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/22, 04:17 PM
Thanks again Amy...

Cliff
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/22, 10:54 AM
Amy,

A quick question regarding the 2000cal Breakdown you recommended from above.

Are you recommending 2000 calories to lose weight, or are you saying to eat less than 2000 calories to lose weight. Does that make sense.

I ask, because the calculator from this site stated the ~2500 calories was to maintain what I currently have, but you and BB1fit both said the calculator is typically high.

Thanks,
Cliff
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/07/31, 02:28 PM
I wanted to give an Update....

Thanks again Amy, After dropping Calories and Carb amounts to what you recommended, I am once again losing Fat (At least I hope it's Fat and Not Muscle).

It Seems that the Site recommended Nutritional info was way off for me. Should a sticky be posted stating how bad the Site calculates Daily Calorie amounts???

Unfortunately, I still struggle many days with to many FAT grams, but training myself to eat completely differently isn't easy after 31 years of eating what I want and When I want it...BUT I am getting Better....

Cliff