Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Strengthening Abs

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/06/27, 08:33 AM
About a month ago I switched to a full body split where I squat every day. I like it so far, I think it's done a lot of good for my squat.

My problem is that towards the end of the workout I feel like I'm going to fall forward. I feel like I almost GM the weight up, like my butt comes up first and then my back.

From what I've read that means I have weak abs and need to do some work to improve. I have no problem with that but hating ab work like I always have I'm not sure what to do, I hate crunches and don't think they do much good anyway.

I was thinking some decline weighted situps, leg raises, and maybe some landmine type twists. I plan to do it twice a week. Any other suggestions?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/06/27, 09:05 AM
I'd hardly consider crunches "ab work".

Me and the guys at RIT fell in love with the spud inc ab strap. Doing standing crunches with that thing is probably one of the best abdominal moves you can do, and there are a few ways you can do them (straight down, roll the shoulders, elbow to knee, etc.)

I also like planks to a point. As an example, when Shawn (PEMDAS)first asked what to do for abs (he literally had never trained abs) I said planks. They were great and he saw almost immediate results from learning to use his abs better, but once he could do planks with a plate on his back indefinitely, he made the decision to switch to weighted work, and swears that doing standing ab work has helped his squat.

I also like to do hanging leg raises, but these are more to stretch the back while rotating the sacrum. Makes my back feel a lot better after squatting.

I used to do landmines a lot, but now I'm not so sure. After learning more about the biomechanics of how the lumbar spine works, and the functions of the abdominal, I'm not so sure they are optimal. I also didn't see a huge amount of carryover. For a wrestler or thrower maybe, but I'm not either of those (anymore).

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/06/27, 11:41 AM
Whatever happened to Pemdas?
razorx
razorx
United States
2008/06/30, 03:37 PM
You need to be doing some straight dead lifts to strengthen your back and gluts to correct that problem(it'll hit your hams too), not abs workouts.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/07/01, 09:08 AM
I think you're wrong, my low back and glutes aren't the problem.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/01, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure if Shawn does or doesn't post here anymore. I know he posts his workout log on our teams website, and he might post it other places, but I don't see him to ask him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him here every now and then.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
vinny186
vinny186
United States
2008/07/10, 09:55 PM
You're probably poopin' out. If your squats don't look as good at the end of your workout as they do at the beginning, that's THE sign you're done squatting.

Why do you say your low back and glutes aren't the problem?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2008/07/11, 12:37 PM
That sounds like a pretty obvious statement. The last set is always harder than the first and the last rep is always the hardest.

I have a strong low back, I do a lot of DLs, SLDLs, hypers, pull throughs, etc. I don't have a problem right out of the hole it is about half way up.

Part of the problem is a form issue. I don't lead wtih my head enough coming out of the hole and squat into a mirror. When I stop that it gets better, but my abs are still my weak point. More core strength will help me improve my squat.
vinny186
vinny186
United States
2008/07/11, 01:15 PM
Your low back IS part of your core. Sounds like you're saying your form is good when you start but suffers as you fatigue. If you only notice your butt rising sooner than the rest of your body near the end of the workout then clearly (or obviously) it IS fatigue. It's like saying "when I stop hitting myself with a hammer, I suddenly feel better."

It's either your low back or glutes that are giving out. Your tva's, diaphragm and pelvic floor muscles are not going to make enough of a difference in your form to correct a forward leaning squat.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2008/07/11, 01:32 PM
Lets settle this...

While I think Eric is correct in his assessment of weak abdominals, there is a simple way to figure out if that is the problem. If you squat beltless, and then put on a belt, take a deep breath into the stomach, and push your abs against the belt, and the problem is minimized, then weak abs it is. Otherwise, it's not likely a glute issue, more likely lower back.

In general though, it doesn't hurt to get the entire trunk stronger.

--------------

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk