Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

straight leg deadlift

roni0906
roni0906
United States
2002/02/25, 08:02 PM
When I was doing my deadlift yesterday, I had a guy come tell me that I was doing it wrong. According to the description, it says to bend at the waist (which I do). He told me to work my hamstring I should bend at the knees, otherwise I am only using my back. I have been doing this for all my leg workouts and I have noticed results from the entire program. Should I just ignore hima nd assume that he has no clue what he is talking about?

----------------------------
Lisa
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/02/25, 10:36 PM
Since we can't really see you in action, I'll just briefly describe the motion. When you bend, yes you need to bend at the waist. Keep your back straight and your head looking forward the entire motion. Stick your butt out a little when you do these; this is called the Keystone deadlift. The reason its called this is because you stick your butt out like one of the Keystone Cops. The bar should go just below your knees until you feel an awesome stretch in your hamstrings. If you go too far past your knees with the bar, you are using too much back. You might as well just do some good-mornings. Hope that helps a bit.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/02/26, 08:24 AM
Lisa - I've also seen the style he mentioned called the Romanian style but there's nothing wrong with either way. The only difference I've seen with the pros (besides the slightly bent legs) is in the grip. Some use an overhand grip with one hand and an underhand grip with the other.

Mike