Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Squat Article

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/03/02, 12:30 PM
I was sent this article from my brother that he found from Dave Draper. Thought I'd post it here - it's good stuff:

"I’m a proponent of the full squat for its muscle-building benefits and systemic advantages. Including the comprehensive squat movement in your training regimen assures you of maximum quad, hamstring and glute development, the wise improvement and maintenance of lower back strength and overall body health and energy.

That some muscle builders don't squat -- lest they are forbidden -- is a mistake; the exercise works hard for everyone. Full and deliberate squats are a comprehensive exercise and the whole system responds: growth hormone and muscle-building enzymes are stimulated, the metabolism is enhanced and bone density improves. Further, squats are highly cardiovascular, endurance is positively affected and fat-burning aspects are raised. Did I mention they launch the endorphins, and the fulfillment of a squat workout well done is incomparable?

Squats are a fearsome movement to the beginner. The ponderous bar on the back, the balancing act, squatting down without knowing where you’re going, the wobbly descent with the wiggly ascent, on your toes and tipping forward and on your heels and tipping back, breathing and not breathing, gasping and grasping the bar with all your might and how on earth do I get this thing back into the rack. "You’re kidding me, you’re not serious, I can’t walk, my butt’s killing me and I’m gonna die." It gets better with the second set. Why would I lie to you?

Come to think of it, squats frighten the intermediate trainee and advanced professional as well. Perhaps that’s why we love them so much.

Has it been a while? Are you just starting? Prepare the legs with leg extensions and leg curls and leg presses for a month or more and bring partial squats into your wonderful life slowly but surely as an exercise only. Practice form and muscle action and seek full range of motion. If the knees or lower back are problematic, practice regularly two or three sets of 10 reps of light-weight, partial squats; wear a belt, and wrap the knees when tenderness and vulnerability suggest.

Don't depend on running or the treadmill or the stairs for your legs’ healthy needs.

Practiced squatters, of course, have gone through the act described above and they’re tough. Grrrrunt. They eat nickel and dime plates for breakfast and don’t have any interest in the Top Squat since most long-time squatters are attached to tradition... "there ain’t no replacement for the real squat, man." I tend to fall into that hardcore category, myself. However, when injuries catch up with us and demand minor modifications, we bow obligingly. Fact is, a squat’s a squat despite how you hold the bar. I find the TS encourages squatting efficiency and effectiveness, safety and comfort. And it gets better with usage and familiarity."

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
2004/03/02, 12:37 PM
I learned to squat reading the instructions from this sight. I used my bench as a gage on how low to squat. When my but hit the bench, I was low enough. Is this a full squat? Top squat? :dumbbell:

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/03/02, 12:40 PM
Ahhh...this just reinforces the fact that this is the king of all exercises!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/03/02, 12:58 PM
Basically, when the top of your thighs are parallel to the floor, that is a full squat. Using a bench is a good gauge, but, when you sit on the bench, partially relax the muscles, then explode upward, that is call a box squat; different application.

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
2004/03/02, 01:02 PM
10-4 I used the bench in the beginning to get proper form. I squat without it now.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/02, 01:09 PM
The squat got to love them. They keep my tiny little legs big like tree trunks lol. And I am serious about the little legs lol I am 6'4 and have a 28 inch inseam. They have dubbed me torso man at work lol.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god.
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2004/03/02, 01:22 PM
I absolutely love squats, always have. It's also one of the most addictive exercises because once you get the feel of that power in your body, you want it more and more.

--------------
Pain is but a threshold to greater strength.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/02, 02:00 PM
I love squats and Draper!!!! Anyone who loves Draper should get their hands on Brother iron, Sister steel (his memoire of his bodybuilding days. he writes like you are sitting there talking to him, it is great!
I make all of my clients, young, old, male, female, learn to sqaut properly and squat heavy. it is, afterall, the grand-daddy of all exercises for changing your lower body.(and it actually carries over to your upper body strength in many ways, so awesome!)

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn