Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22774

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

South Beach Diet

ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/11/03, 05:19 PM
I started the South Beach Diet last Wednesday. For the first 2 weeks it is virtually no carbs other that vegetables and then not all. Week 3 you can slowly start to add low glycemic carbs.

I work out every day and today I was able to lift my weights but could not finish my cardio workout due to lack of energy.

Any body had this experience?
Taurie
Taurie
United States
2003/11/03, 06:09 PM
Your body needs carbs to function. Your brain needs carbs to function. Anybody who deprives themselves of any carbs what so ever will experience lack of energy. If your not eating any vegetables/fruits how are you getting fiber? Dietary fiber is essential not to mention all the minerals your missing out on from not eating any fruits or veggies. I am by no means an expert but, this diet sounds kind of dangerous.
nikkiv6
nikkiv6
United States
2003/11/04, 02:44 AM
I've all of a sudden had quite a few clients that have started this diet. What it sounds like is happening, is that the first little bit is trying to help you find your carbohydrate threshold. While this is probably okay for a limited amount of time, you'll definitely need to listen to your body when it comes to exercising for the duration of the "cleansing". Good luck.
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2003/11/06, 08:21 PM
LOL if followed properly most people will find they are eating much more fibre than normal. My fridge is filled to the top with fresh vegetables, produce, lean meats, dairy (low fat). It is a plan designed by a cardiologists originally for people to lose weight just for heart health. The key is to follow the glycemic index. It is very healthy and the fats eaten are only healthy fats...lots of fish, lean meat, olive oil, nuts, eggs. Phase 1 is only 2 weeks....not forever. then gradually whole grain foods, fruits, and sweet potatoes are added back in. The key is to get rid of all the refined foods and eat wholesome filling foods.

Have fun with it!
PAT
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/11/09, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification Lonegirl. I am not fond of diets but was getting so frustrated with the just eating cleanand working out because I wasn't losing either inches or pounds. Tomorrow will be my 13th day and I have lost 4lbs and feel good now. The toughest to give up was the fruit and yogurt but as you pointed out that is only for the first two weeks. Even switched to decaf coffee.

I have really been paying attention to the carbs on the Fitday.com calculation feature. Don't think I will ever return to many of the things I ate in the past.

Thanks for the encouragement
Marguerite
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/11/11, 02:26 PM
Hi! My roomies & I are just starting today. Anyone have any substitution ideas for the V8? I really don't like that or tomato juice...

Kirby
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/11/14, 12:45 PM
Kirby:
Don't think there is anything legitimate that you can substitute here as carrot juice is a no no! On the Prevention.com website there are some good suggestions as well as recipes and a support online message board.

One thing that I have found helpful was a fake maple syrup my son who is a bodybuilder introduced me to. I believe it is called Sobee and you can get it at Wal Mart. Great tasting and no after tase I believe it is splenda. I use it on my pretend french toast and to sweeten low fat Ricotta as a desert.

Another good sweetner is Stevia it is a natural product and no after taste. Usually found health food stores.
Be careful if you snack on nuts on phase one as I found that many had way too much salt.........like pistachioes and the garlic dried soyabeans I was eating. Made me retain water big time.

Good Luck
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/11/14, 12:45 PM
Kirby:
Don't think there is anything legitimate that you can substitute here as carrot juice is a no no! On the Prevention.com website there are some good suggestions as well as recipes and a support online message board.

One thing that I have found helpful was a fake maple syrup my son who is a bodybuilder introduced me to. I believe it is called Sobee and you can get it at Wal Mart. Great tasting and no after tase I believe it is splenda. I use it on my pretend french toast and to sweeten low fat Ricotta as a desert.

Another good sweetner is Stevia it is a natural product and no after taste. Usually found health food stores.
Be careful if you snack on nuts on phase one as I found that many had way too much salt.........like pistachioes and the garlic dried soyabeans I was eating. Made me retain water big time.

Good Luck
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/11/17, 02:58 AM
Stevia rocks! We have the plant in our herb garden :)

I'll have to check out Sobee. Good thing there's a Wal Mart right near my office. Good suggestion about the nuts. I did some early Christmas shopping today and brought some along as a snack - I really should have just stopped for lunch before I did :( Oh well...not bad for the w-e!

There's another good newsgroup on MSN - I actually just posted touting the wonders of Stevia!

Kirby
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2003/12/03, 11:10 PM
Hi South Beach Dieters. I have been on the diet for over a month now. Ive lost 11 lbs. I think its time to incorporate a weight routine as I dont want to lose my muscle mass. Not like there is much of that to lose but still so I started a new 8 week routine with FT. I would like to ask those on the SB Diet and training with FT how their energy is holding up and would appreciate any advice before I get started.

--------------
Audrey
(Dum Spiro Spero)= Latin-As long as I breathe I hope!
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/04, 10:43 AM
Since I have stopped losing weight and inches, my trainer told me last night to go on the South Beach Diet. I already have the book but did not know if there were enough carbs in the first two weeks to give me enough energy to do my workout (I workout hard). He said that should be not be a problem since it is only two weeks. I will not start until Monday, because I have to go shopping, but I am looking forward to it. I have heard a lot of good things about the diet.

--------------
Gramma
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/04, 03:23 PM
Hello:
I lost 6lbs on my first three weeks of this diet. Since adding back carbs in week three I am having a hard time losing anything. I am trying to stay away from the scales and go more by how my clothes feel and fit. I didn't take measurements at the beginning and now wished I did.

Deby I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. During my first week on the diet I found I really had to push myself on the aerobic workouts. Lift the weights was Okay. One day I jsut quit after 10 minutes I was so exhausted. That seemed to pass quickly. There are a lot of things going on that first week like no caffeine, no sugar etc. I even had some mild headaches some days. I think that was due to the caffein withdrawal and I am not a big coffee drinker 1-2 cups/day.

I have two friends who started with me. The male friend has lost 12lbs and his wife 8lbs. He excerxcises daily and also experienced some tiredness during exercise the first week.

I am going to tweak what I am eating a little. I think for a week I will return to eggs for breakfast instead of oatmeal and drop the apple and tangerine a day that I have been eating.

My caloric intake ranges from 1000-1200 calories a day currently I weigh 164 and want to be 140 so I have a long way to go.

Its easy to keep your protein intake up on this diet but you have to watch the fats. Make sure all the cheeses are skim or lowfat. I also had some problem with water retention. I was eating a lot of cottage chesse those first few weeks and had a hard time finding a low sodium one.

Good luck and keep us posted how you progress.

Margueeerite
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/12/04, 03:44 PM
Hey Deby,
I didn't do any more than 15 min of cardio during the first two weeks of SBD. Just didn't have the energy, even though I was eating plenty of veggies. Like ufo said, lifting wasn't an issue at all - just make sure you have a snack before you go to the gym (sf jello topped w/lf cottage cheese did it for me). I only lost 3 lbs during the first two weeks, but I don't have a lot to lose (10 lbs max?) either.

There's a really good SBD board off MSN...

Kirby
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2003/12/04, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. My first day with the weights was today and it went farely well. Even though I lost 11 lbs on the SBD. My trainer did a body fat test on me today and I still have the same amount of fat as I did b4. He tells me Ive lost muscle through this diet not fat. hmmm.. well Im incorporating weights 3 times weekly now and hopefully I regain some muscle and lose fat even while on this diet.

--------------
Audrey
Shane123
Shane123
United States
2003/12/05, 12:54 AM
The secret to a low carb diet: low calories and decreased water weight.
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/05, 09:09 AM
Hello:
I think that any diet that lets the calories fall too low and doesn't emphasize resistance excercise is going to be the same. At my gym they have this guaranteed to lose 6 week program. I looked a the the sample menu it was so calorie restricted and only maybe 20% protein. Of course anyone would lose they will also be straving!

I have mainatained my excercise program that includes some heaving lifting and I strongly believe that this is why I lose less pounds than my friends on the diet. I really have to pay attention to getting enough protein. As I tend to be a real carb person especially with the fruit.

I think that in the long run this is a pretty safe and effective diet that encourage good choices of food unlike WW where you can get into the habit of eating ridiculus stuff as long as you don't go over certain points. My friend used to skip a meal for two glasses of wine. She lost a lot of weight but after gained it all back and more.

Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/05, 12:17 PM
That is one thing I have found that Cottage Cheese really "tastes" like it has a lot of salt. I really restrict my salt because of water retention. I only do 12-15 minutes on the Stair Master anyhow on the days I do my Weights (Monday, Wednesday and Friday), so I guess I will be okay. I am going shopping tomorrow!!! I will let you know how things are going next week. Thanks for all of the help.

--------------
Gramma
kirby00
kirby00
United States
2003/12/05, 02:15 PM
there is salt-free cottage cheese, but it's way too bland for me. might be okay, depending on how you prepare it...
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/08, 10:48 AM
WELL, today is my first day on South Beach!! So far so good. Since my trainer is the one who suggested this, he is aware that my energy level may be a little lower for a couple of weeks. I do plan to go to week three when I am supposed to, unless I do not feel "less energetic" during the first two weeks.

--------------
Gramma
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/08, 02:36 PM
You will p[robably have the least energy by the 3rd or 4th day. That was my experience anyway. It didn't last too long and by day 5 or 6 I was OK again.

Do what Kirby suggests have something light cottage cheese before going to the gym. I enjoy it with a fake Maple syrup made from sucrolose I believce it is called Sorbee and sold at Walmart. Watch out for the fussy head for a day or two, especially if you are switching to decaffinated coffee as you are supposed to.

I don't have the book I seem to have found all the info I need online. There are support groups, recipes etc. etc. Just go to a search engine type in South Beach Diet and browse the info.
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2003/12/08, 05:08 PM
Good luck with Day one Deby. My energy level was low for over a month it seemed. I think Im finally getting some energy back now and its been a month and a half.I did weight training today and felt quite light headed. I ate a ceasar salad before working out does anyone have an idea why the light headedness happened?

--------------
Audrey
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/09, 09:17 AM
Day one went great!! I had some "deli" turkey before working out. I am going out to lunch today but will be having a Mahi Mahi salad! I am down 2 lbs, I know it is water but that is okay!

--------------
Gramma
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/09, 07:58 PM
Fan2c
A ceasar salad really has nothing substantial for your body before a workout. Perhaps because you had nothing substancial in your system to stabilze your blood sugar.
Try oatmeal with some egg whites and 1% milk sweetened with Splenda or Stevia.
Or an omelette with cottage cheese or low fat mozzorella before working out. Itf thats too much have a protein shake. My friend who has been on the diet about 6 weeks had some chocolate and something else sweet last week on an empty stomach she said she got the shakes and they lasted for about 10 min.

ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/09, 07:59 PM
Deby
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/09, 08:01 PM
Deby
The Mahi Mahi is great. Its one of my favourites.

Wow down two pounds....

hey even if its only water feels good though eh?
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/12/19, 09:38 AM
Thought I would post an update. The SBD is going well. My male friend who started at the same time as me has lost 16 lbs and reached his goal. This is in two months.

My female friend has lost 9 lbs and I bought here an introductory 21 day pass to my gym and also paid for here to have an assessment that included resting heart rate, body fat,lean body mass etc.

I am now down 8.5lbs. I have returned to phase one for 3 days as I seemed to be stuck.

The Juicy Gels, lowfat cheese strings and pistacheo nuts have been a life saver.
Deby
Deby
United States
2003/12/19, 10:09 AM
I am switching to Phase 2 for next week because it will make Christmas day easier. I am doing okay, having a few struggles but that goes with the holiday. I have worked out Monday and Wednesday this week and will be working out tonight. I will also being working out my normal 3 days next week!!! I really think I am losing inches again even if I am not losing the pounds easily.

--------------
Gramma
Candy21
Candy21
Bahamas
2004/04/23, 03:38 PM
hey boos
Candy21
Candy21
Bahamas
2004/04/23, 03:40 PM
hey boos
wacehawkins
wacehawkins
United States
2005/01/18, 06:33 PM

============
Quoting from fan2c:

Hi South Beach Dieters. I have been on the diet for over a month now. Ive lost 11 lbs. I think its time to incorporate a weight routine as I dont want to lose my muscle mass. Not like there is much of that to lose but still so I started a new 8 week routine with FT. I would like to ask those on the SB Diet and training with FT how their energy is holding up and would appreciate any advice before I get started.

=============
wacehawkins
wacehawkins
United States
2005/01/18, 06:36 PM
Sorry fan2c i didnt mean to quote you. I am still trying to figure this program out.
skeys
skeys
United States
2005/02/12, 10:19 PM
I was just wondering for all you SBDers. Has the weight stayed off? I am on the last 3 days of Phase 1. It is not that hard for me. I have been sick so I have not been in the gym since I started the diet. But I am going soon. Did you see faster results while working out? I have lost 7-9 lbs in the first 10 days. Just wondering how it worked for all of you.
carolt0604
carolt0604
United States
2005/02/15, 04:22 PM
I have been doing SB since August of 2004 and have lost 30 lbs. I had a little trouble around the holidays (no will power) but have got back on track recently and notice my clothes getting looser. You really have to take it slow. I try to have a carb for breakfast and as a snack midday, I lost a few more lbs., but when I added in the carb at dinner I stalled again. So I am going to take that out and just have protein and veggies for dinner. I have at least one fruit a day. Usually to stave off the sweet tooth I get right after my lunch. Good Luck and it does work. I mainly started it because heart disease and diabetes runs in my family and realized that I would also lose weight.

============
Quoting from skeys:

I was just wondering for all you SBDers. Has the weight stayed off? I am on the last 3 days of Phase 1. It is not that hard for me. I have been sick so I have not been in the gym since I started the diet. But I am going soon. Did you see faster results while working out? I have lost 7-9 lbs in the first 10 days. Just wondering how it worked for all of you.
=============
skeys
skeys
United States
2005/02/23, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info carolt0604. So far I have lost 12 lbs. 10 in the first two weeks and 2 in the 3rd. I am currently on my fourth week and just now having the cravings to cheat. Like at dinner tonight we went to eat Mexican Food, without even thinking I started eating chips and salsa as always. My boyfriend said hey are those on your diet? OOPS!!! I did not even know i was eating them.
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2005/02/25, 09:03 AM
I do a modified SB. I would never give up carbs completely while working out. I work out too hard and would hit the wall bigtime. I do more of a low glycemic carb thing. After 6 pm no carbs whatsoever just protein and veggies. Timing the carbs helped break my plateau. I also have hypthyroid and no metabolism and hardly lose weight or bodyfat. I do my workouts after work so I have my protein smoothie I make at 6 00 pm and that is it for carbs. At 7:30 supper. I found I responded to this very well as I actually lost bodyfat and inches and I see more definition on my body. And remember I am 50 so I have to be realistic. My age, medical conditions and genetics do not lean towards the muscular build. I think the SBD is healthy but for those who work out hard I would not do phase I.
diopatra
diopatra
Philippines
2006/01/03, 04:23 AM
i only started today. my problem is i go to work everyday and i dont have enough energy and im having a head ache. some says, this is effective if you work out, which is i dont have time because of work. i try to walk 30 minutes a day. i hope it will be enough as my work out
houseofdiet
houseofdiet
United States
2006/01/14, 12:31 AM
I found i didn't have alot of energy the first bit and i had headaches too (i think this was because i no longer drank soda and therefore got no caffine) The diet says you can have coffee but im not a big coffee person. I actually ended up using a lot of the principles of the diet instead of following it exactly. I hope it works well for you and that you find the energy to keep your work out. :) don't forget that it takes time for your body to adjust to a new "diet"
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/01/14, 11:46 AM
I like the frozen pizzas. Buy a couple of them every week.

--------------
Strength and Honor!
dnold
dnold
United States
2006/01/14, 01:22 PM
The South Beach frozen dinners and their other prepared foods seem to be not that bad for you. The ingredient list don't look bad either. The peanut butter cookies taste really good and I love the cereal.
blessedone30
blessedone30
Barbados
2009/09/22, 09:19 PM
hi everybody I'm from Barbados and i just joined ft last week. My younger sis and i plan to try the south beach diet, but i have a problem..........i DON'T eat eggs! is there another substitute available?
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2011/05/23, 04:14 PM
Just started SB again last week. Used it in the past and it works. I was also looking at bb1fit posts on dieting and they look remarkably similar except his places more emphasis on getting good fats such as fish oil and [possibly a higher protein content.

I like his notion of having a cheat meal once a week even if it only contains one of the things I miss like pasta with my meat sauce. Gonna stick with it until I lose 20 -25lbs.
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2011/05/23, 04:35 PM
Just started SB again last week. Used it in the past and it works. I was also looking at bb1fit posts on dieting and they look remarkably similar except his places more emphasis on getting good fats such as fish oil and [possibly a higher protein content.

I like his notion of having a cheat meal once a week even if it only contains one of the things I miss like pasta with my meat sauce. Gonna stick with it until I lose 20-25lbs.