Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Soreness

300th
300th
Canada
2007/02/23, 10:53 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but from what i can gather being sore shouldn't be considered a sign of progress. Sure if you haven't done an exercise in a while you might get a little sore but overrall soreness isn't really a good thing.

"The human body is a machine that winds itself"
- Thomas Hardy

--------------
300th
Nyxtikal
Nyxtikal
United States
2007/02/26, 01:17 AM
i like getting sore......i heard somewhere, dont know if its true, that if you quit getting sore you are not progressing
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/02/26, 01:22 AM
NO PAIN NO GAIN! I personally ove DOMS but yet hate em at the same time
Nyxtikal
Nyxtikal
United States
2007/02/26, 01:24 AM
yeah......like when you cant bend ur legs to get out of bed after heavy squats....lol
Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2007/02/26, 01:29 AM
Two types of soreness:

The good - pushing yourself in a effective way to make improvements on your body, hence the sore feelings in your "muscles"

The bad - pushing yourself to feel the effects of soreness in your "joints"

Any results-oriented workout program is based on the overload principle. This means that to increase strength, flexibility, or aerobic power you have to push your body to work harder than it typically works. Your body responds and prepares for the next workout by making your muscle fibers stronger, bigger and more resilient. When you think about it, your body is really an amazing work of science. It likes -- welcomes, even -- the exercise challenges you throw at it and is always thinking up ways to meet those challenges.

But there are two common kinds of exercise-related muscle soreness. One is acute soreness, the kind that occurs during or immediately after exercise. This is the type of soreness cased by excess lactic acid flooding into your muscles. The discomfort usually subsides after a minute or two of rest. Once the soreness goes away, you can usually continue exercising without any residual effects.

The other type of soreness is known as delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS). It develops 12 hours or longer after exercise. DOMS is thought to be a result of microscopic tearing of the muscle fibers. The soreness you feel reaches its peak within two days after the activity and subsides over the next few days. A certain amount of DOMS is a reasonable and expected consequence of getting in shape; but if you are so sore that your legs buckle when you walk down stairs or you can barely lift a pencil, you have overdone it.

If you are prone to soreness (and some of us are more so than others), you might consider massage. This is an effective way of reducing soreness and may allow you to return to the top of your game a bit more quickly.

--------------
Bettia

\"Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open.\" - Lord Thomas Dewar
brachii
brachii
Canada
2007/02/28, 10:46 AM
Thank for the advice, folks!

--------------
\"I\'m not concerned with body building; I\'m just trying to make people normal human beings\" - Joseph Pilates

brachii
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/03/01, 05:10 PM
Not sure if it means anything or not, but since i started watching what I eat and making sure I get enough protein daily, I noticed that I am not as sore as before and it goes away faster than before.
brachii
brachii
Canada
2007/03/01, 08:27 PM
Im guessing thats a good thing, but im no expert

--------------
\"Gold medals aren\'t really made of gold. They\'re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.\" - Dan Gable

brachii