Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder pain/burning

briany
briany
United States
2007/08/26, 12:06 PM
I have had this problem for years and its back again. I started doing push-ups lately and the pain is really bad now.The pain is in the front of my left shoulder, no popping or anything just a sharp burning pain.It only hurts when its being stressed not a constant type of pain. Also did I mention I just started working out again,have not worked out consistently in years.The pain kicks in after the 3rd set of 10 in my routine so its not like I am overtraining. I am starting out slow I do four sets of 10 and thats it for weight bearing exercise every other day. Does this sound like something I should work through,or is it serious and should I see a doctor. What do you see as a treatment for this. Its very frustrating because I have not been this motivated in years to work out again and I don't want to give up and be a couch potato again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Brian
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2007/09/04, 07:40 AM
The post above is good info but I quit trying to "work through" pain a long time ago. If something hurts, quit doing it. You should be able to identify the problem moves and if correcting your form doesn't do it for you, substitute different exercises. You can also go with a little lighter weight till you've given yourself time to heal.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/09/04, 08:56 AM
Do you flare your elbows out? I am 80% sure that you do. Try tucking your elbows a little closer to your body. Also, make sure you are pushing up strait up and not up and back to the j-hooks.
rudk
rudk
Estonia
2007/09/07, 06:56 AM
You should give your shoulders some rest. If the pain goes away you can start working out again (with proper form). Howewer if the pain presists you need do see a doctor. That type of pain might be caused by a torn ligament or scar tissue.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/09/08, 06:49 PM
Work on scapular retraction and eliminating protraction (wiatt's first post) during exercises.

Scapular wall slides: stand with your back against a wall and your shoulders pulled back and DOWN. Back of your hand goes against the wall, and begin to do what resembles a standing overhead press without weight. The key here is to practice this without moving your shoulders at all, the wall serves for proprioception.

Face pulls (look them up) and low trap raises (number 9 in this article http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1507006) would also probably be helpful.

It would be really helpful if you could post or send a shirtless back picture, taken while you are standing in a relaxed position.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk