Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

shoulder out of socket?

Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/13, 11:12 PM
I don't think this is the same as the others writing that their shoulder is popping, but it might be. I was doing lying tricep extensions with dumbells (5 pounds as I am a wussie). I brought my arms back behind my head, and my left shoulder locked up and popped out (maybe not all the way, but I felt it slip. I had to put my other weight down (which promptly tried to roll off of me and onto the floor), reach behind me to get the one in my left hand, then pull my arm back around. It popped back in, and I was able to finish my workout okay, but I wonder what caused this, improper form, or just not used to the weights?
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/14, 03:14 AM
8 years ago I couldn't do the pull overs....... Never really understood why, but I had sort of the same problem as you. It doesn't really hurts but it still makes one a little scared.
Anyway, I haven't been doing pull overs for so many years and then suddenly the other day I felt like trying it again. Well, I don't have any problems now....
I wonder maybe it's because my shoulders are stronger or more flexible today than when I was a young rebel ;-)

I cannot give you another solution Alorle, I'm sorry, but maybe somebody else in here knows more.

(If it keeps going on do other triceps and upper chest exercises.... -the dips for ex!)
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/14, 10:29 AM
Alorle, sounds like you may have hyper-extended your shoulder. This is somewhat common when one tries to do that exercise with heavier weights. As long as you don't experience pain, you should be okay to do this.

What you need to do is stretch your arms a little bit longer before working out. When you continue with the light weights, your shoulder should get a little stronger and you shouldn't experience that pop anymore.

Hope this helps...
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/14, 10:21 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. It was kinda funny though, me lying on that bench, my arm stuck behind me, and trying to figure out whether I should just let go of the weight and let it crash to the ground and be embarrassed, or if I could manage to get it back without seriously injuring myself :).
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/15, 04:42 AM
Hmmmmmm no no no and don't you start all over telling everybody that your arms fall off......!!!
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/15, 10:47 PM
rofl, can I come out of the corner yet?
sanddevil
sanddevil
United States
2002/01/20, 08:17 PM
You can come out now. My left shoulder pops out on me all the time now there is no pain when it goes out but when it pops my partners hear it and they get a little concerned. All I do is pop it back in and continue. I have noticed that when I do pull overs with a curl bar it wont pop out I guess the angle it restricts me to helps out. the supplement I take for my joints is MSM with Glucosamine I don't know if it is helping but my Doctor told me to take it. Try the movement without weight and slowely add weight but when you feel discomfort stop. OH and another thing don't worry about droping the weight and being embarrased I would rather you do that then have to pick your bloody arm off the floor.lol
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/21, 01:22 AM
rofl. Nina, I'm not scaring the newbies off this time! Sanddevil did it!
Actually, I switched exercises until I get a bit stronger. I do the single dumbell extensions and dips(of which I could only do 3 *blah*).
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/21, 07:11 AM
my training partner has the same problem so i do that exercise and see moves on to another.
sanddevil
sanddevil
United States
2002/01/21, 11:08 PM
I didn't scare them I am just preparing them psychologically when their brains start playing tricks on them. Think of it as a Public Service Announcement. LOL Besides If I wanted to scare them I would post one of my stories. I wish they were a dream. LOL
Dave