Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder injury. (The OTHER one!)

lawdawgnm
lawdawgnm
United States
2003/09/27, 12:52 AM
I got pulled off a ladder by my dog at work and landed on my left shoulder about the 15th of Sep. Under Dr's care; and I start phys therapy on Monday.

In the gym today, I couldn't even do incline db presses without water shooting out of my eyes, so I decided a better quit. Pushups are a whole new adventure in pain.

So, my thinking is that I'll do what I can do in the gym and try to increase my running. Once recovered, I'll hit the weights again.

But I'm so dang depressed that I could stuff my face with Oreos and ice cream! After all my hard work, well, RASPBERRIES!

Has anyone had shoulder surgery and how long does it take to get back to lifting a respectable weight? (Respectable meaning close to pre-surgery weights.)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/27, 12:00 PM
Haven't had shoulder surgery, but just thought I would say, keep your head up!
Look at this as a challeneg to be met. Focus on how you can remain disciplined in the face of such a hurdle.
Oh, and tell your dog to stay away from ladders!
The more gradual you are in upping your weights again, the better. Let those muscles heal and keep icing, heating and stretching your shoulder in all directions so it doesn't get all frozen internally.
Good luck!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
2003/09/29, 02:25 PM
My shoulder surgery was 6 weeks of do NOTHING 8 weeks active rehab and then start over. Sorry to hear it. Keep training legs and abs though if pain allows.

Good luck
borpillicus
borpillicus
Canada
2003/09/29, 05:32 PM
Don't worry about it! Use this time to train your cardio, and like charlie826 said, your legs and abs if pain permits. When your healed and ready to come back your body remembers everything! I still can't believe the results I have had in the last 3 weeks and I was out of lifting for 8 MONTHS straight! Muscle memory! W00T!

The best advice would be don't do anything thats going to make it worse. Its something you will regret for months down the road. And keep on your diet! You don't want to waste away too much muscle with all that cardio.

Train smart and good luck!

--------------

- Its never about how much you can lift, or how many reps you do. Its just about doing it, and doing it right.

~Brad~