Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder injury

jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/02/18, 12:03 PM
Hi all,
I've searched for shoulder injuries but there are so many that come up that it's difficult to know what I have.
I thought I'd post my symptoms in the hope that someone experienced could point me in the right direction.

My right shoulder is the problem. The sort of activity that cause it to flare up is swimming breast stroke and certain fixed resistance machines. Basically anything that involves a pulling down and round motion.

Once it flares up, it feels like an ache in the shoulder joint, running down the tricep to the elbow, but centred in the shoulder. I have no strength in the arm and it is difficult to raise it above the elbow. Actions such as putting on a seatbelt (from the right) or even lifting a cup to my mouth become very difficult. The sensation makes me want to rotate my shoulder to try to relieve it, and it feels like it could 'click' back.

I rested the shoulder for the last three weeks, lowered weight and avoided excercise that had previously caused it and it had been gone for the last two weeks. Then yesterday I went swimming and bam, it's back.

This is very frustrating as I want to continue training my upper body but I'm not sure what the long term care of this unknown problem is. Anti-inflammatories lower the immediate pain, but that's obviously no substitute for prevention or cure.

Sorry to put so much detail, but I hope it helps identify what the problem is.

Jon

karihynn
karihynn
Australia
2007/02/19, 07:04 AM
Hi I'm an old hand at getting shoulder injuries as i'm a surfer with a death wish of sorts. anyway total rest for at 10 days with ice and heat packs, stop any workout with your arm to let any tears heal. Then slowly each day light warm up exercises and stretches until you have some strength back, then try building it back up cause it's probably lost a lot of size and power, don't over do and if pain persists see your GP, get it?
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/02/19, 09:25 AM
Thanks,
after driving to work today it was very weak an painful. So much so that I visited a local hospital to have it looked at. They feel I have damaged the Supraspinatus and I've been referred for physio.
I'm hugely disappointed, I'm worried this will set me back from my goals. :(

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/shoulder/supraspininflam.htm
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2007/02/19, 09:59 AM
Physio is a very good idea and it has worked for me. It is likely getting irritated by poor form, so get your form checked...especially for the swimming! I have a classic error in my swim form doing freestyle, which aggrevates my shoulder. Now that I know what I'm doing wrong, I've worked on correcting it (not easy to do) and it's making a huge difference! Same goes for the resistance machines (free weights would be a better option for you.) I can totally relate to your problems (although mine is more tendonitis related) and my shoulder remains very weak and still flares up...but I now know what aggrivates it! Make sure you get it taken care of ASAP or it can become very debilitating, as I'm sure you've already found out. (I used to scream everytime I had to turn the steering wheel of my car!) It will not be a quick fix, but should improve with physio.