Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

shins and the treadmill

DaniDIEt
DaniDIEt
United States
2004/12/26, 09:35 PM
They hurt so bad! Is that ok or should I slow down? I just don't know if this is normal to feel this or not.
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2004/12/27, 07:55 AM
Depends on the pain, it could be shin splints or it could be how you run. When you run it should be a heel - toe movement. This allows you to propel yourself off with the ball of your foot. If you hear your foot "slap" down then your putting your foot down flat. This can cause pain in the shins as I've had this previously. Ask one of the gym staff to watch your form as you run - it may be something simple as this. Otherwise get it checked out. Hope this helps.
Miyu
Miyu
United States
2004/12/27, 11:39 AM
When I first started my weight loss I took a power walking class. I got the same pain. The coach for the class had me doing calf-raises (hold onto a bar and go up on your toes)every other day. Not a whole bunch of them (like 20) and then a ton a of stretching. I also cut down my "walking" days and subed in the ellipitical to take some pressure off my joints. All of that seemed to work.

--------------
I am an apathetic sociopath - I would kill you if I cared...
annmarie140
annmarie140
United States
2004/12/31, 03:13 PM
18 years ago (might be a better method now) a sports medicine doctor told me to spell out the alphabet with my feet prior to running to help avoid shin splints. Also to eat banana's for the potassium. I just quit running because I enjoy every other form of exercise. :big_smile:
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2005/01/07, 04:46 PM
I get REALLY bad shin splints too, and I can say from experience... get new running shoes... it helps... even if the shoes are brand new they might not be correct support for your type of foot/running. I went through 3 pair of new shoes before I found ones that didn't give me shin splints.

--------------
My mind tells me to win, my spirit shows me how, and my body delivers.

Cari
PureSnowChic@aol.com
Southern California
big_j_scf
big_j_scf
United States
2005/01/08, 03:01 PM
Hiohg arches are often the cause of shin splints, i get them to the point of tears and nopt being able to walk sometimes If this is the case, buy some arch support ionserts for your shoes. Every day, do 100 or more toe raises...this is done by standing with your back against a wall, and simply lifting your toes as high off the ground as possible. this strengthens the muscles that surrond the shins. Anti inflamatories ever day as well, and a good way to heal them is before you go to workout, put a dixie cup filled with water in the freezer, when you get home after running, take the dixie cup out and tear the half the dixie cup off, so that only the bottom is left with about an inch around the side. then massage the ice onto your shins all over...it can be really painful, but it helps. massage until all the ice is melted, then do the same with the other leg. One more piece of advice: really stretch those calves out a lot...another good preventative tip! good luck.

--------------
I have some good news! I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Gieco!
moune
moune
Mauritius
2005/02/03, 11:44 PM
well that weird cause i heard that flat foot are more prone to have shin splints pls explain!!