Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shin Splints?

lexballer13
lexballer13
United States
2004/03/02, 01:59 PM
Besides ice and heat are there any other helps or alternatives to making the pain any better?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/02, 02:04 PM
hey lex - I bumped some previous posts - there are a ton on this subject. if you can't find the info you need, let me know and i will post a treatment routine for shin splints.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 11:35 PM
strengthen anterior tibialis, posterior tibialis, and hallicus longus. How you ask? Try toe towel crunches with your bath towel after a shower. Lay the towel flat, and then crunch the towel up under your foot with your toes until the entire towel is under there. Repeat 3 times. Have some one put a towel over the middle of your foot while you are sitting on the floor or a bench with your legs straight. Pull your toes towards you face. Do 3 sets of 20 on each leg. Stretch your calves. Shin splints are caused by a weakness in the 3 muscles previously mentioned. They get overtrained and swell and cause pain. Tight calves cause them to constantly be stretched and if you don't strengthen them you will always be susceptible to shin splints.