Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Run sprints for cardio........

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/14, 11:32 PM
I don't do much cardio at all because my main goal is simple: mass, and lots of it. But, I have found (personal experience) that instead of jogging a couple miles for cardio or immitating a hamster on a treadmill for a half hour, sprints seem to work much better for overall size and definition. When I was in college, I used to run 3 miles 4X a week. I had good overall definition and my endurance was pretty good. Now, istead of a brisk jog, I do sprints of varying distances 2 days a week. Since its an anaerobic excercise, it will actually increase leg strength and size, as well as increasing vasularity (better blood flow). My lungs burn and my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest after I'm done, so it definately gives you a great cardio workout.

I've also made some observations to support this. Take a look at Olympic sprinters compared to marathon runners. Sprinters have better overall muscle tone, size, and strength. Distance runners appear to have less muscular bodies, but have much better endurance than I could ever dream.

I'm not trying to say sprinting is better than jogging in everyone's case. This is my experience and observations, and I thought I'd pass it along to the rest of you.

---JBennett
merlinhog
merlinhog
United States
2001/07/17, 10:54 AM
You always have good observations JB! I have noticed that myself. Just look at the size of Michael Johnson's legs. Holy SH**. I too want mass but know that increasing max. O2 capacity in the lungs and body is key. How many sprints do you do and how many days a week? I would like to try that and compare notes with you. You take eas zma hp right? Have you tried zmass pm and if so how do they compare? Thanks. The Hog.
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/17, 12:46 PM
jb, what is the distance you sprint? My brother was a great marathon runner, but had a huge belly (never could figure that one out), so I believe the point your making was very accurate.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/07/17, 01:01 PM
I jog a bit to warm up, stretch, then start with short 40 yard sprints first (usually 6, with 30 seconds of rest in between). I'll do 100's next (4 with 30-45 seconds rest in between), and finish by sprinting the length of my street twice, which is just shy of 420 yards (I rest about 2 minutes between the long sprints). Be sure to keep moving during your resting periods and after you finish to avoid cramping. My neighbor and I measured the distances. I never time myself because I'm not trying to beat the clock; I'm trying to do whatever I can to get bigger.

As for the ZMA, yes I'm still taking it. I like the EAS stuff because the N-acetylcysteine (NAC) has great antioxidant properties. Z-Mass is probably good, too, although I've never tried it. It does contain 20-Hydroxyecdysone, which is awesome stuff, but there is no reference I've seen to tell me how much is actually in it.