Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Rice and Breads

Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2008/06/10, 01:51 AM
Hey guys,

I have been weight training again for the past 4 weeks. I've been pretty good about it and see some small improvements. Obviously it's not like I am a chizilled machine.

However, I am starting to think that my diet may have an adverse effect on me. My typical breakfast might be 2 boiled eggs (take the yokes out) and a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter. Then for lunch I usually have a some rice and meat (usually chicken but could be beef). Snacks and small meals may consist of fruit and a meal shake. For dinner it's back with having rice.

Lately, I am starting to eat less rice and breads but I am wondering if eating much of this is causing me to not lose as much weight as I want.

My rice intake totals my usual less than 2500 calories but do you guys think it might still affect my weight loss training?

Thanks for your opinions and maybe helpful facts in advance.

Chris
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/06/10, 11:38 AM
Hi Chris - it looks like you could use a wdier variety of vegetables in your diet. As long as the rice fits into your caloric needs, you should lose weight while eating it. if you aren't eating brown rice, think about switching, or at least mixing half white/half brown until you get used to all brown. brown Basmati is often easier to switch over o , as it is more like th etxture of white rice. Brown is a little more nutritional and has more fiber, ewhite rice has had nutrients added back in, but they are not as well utilized by your body. Also brown rice will sustain your energy better than white, it has a lower GI.

What percentage of your total intake is coming from tsarchy carbs like rice and bread? For weight loss you may want to shift to alittle higher protein and less starchy carbs, more firbours carbs (vegetables), THIS DOESN'T MEAN DROPPING THEM COMPLETELY, BUT REDUCING THEM A LITTLE AND KEEPING THE VOLUME OF FOOD UP WITH MORE FIBER AND NUTRIENT-DENSE FOOD. Sorry - caps lock acident, not yelling:surprised:
Chris1980
Chris1980
Canada
2008/06/11, 08:29 PM
Hi Asimmer, thanks for the great info. Can I ask what you mean by nutrient-dense foods? I am assuming these foods you are saying should take more than strachy foods like rice. So having 2 cups of rice a day should be okay right? The kind of rice I am eating is white.

Out of the total amount of food I eat a day, I would say 50% is carbs that consist of vegetables, fruit, rice and grains. But I am starting to think that it should be reduced.

Thanks for your help.
Chris