Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Resting heart rate

snake69
snake69
United States
2003/03/06, 05:29 PM
Im curious to know everyone's Resting heart rate. My Heart rate is constantly over 85 to about 90 (for as long as i remember). I just finished Drill sergeant school and relaized this isnt a good resting heart rate. im in great shape but im wondering what can i do to lower it.
I bodybuild and am not a big fan of running and I also have a high metabolism.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/03/06, 09:24 PM
How much caffien do you consume? My resting HR is at 69-72.
I do alot of cardio, and of course resistance training.

--------------
Peace on earth

Ivan Montreal Canada
bigdavid
bigdavid
United States
2003/03/09, 01:15 PM
MY HEART RATE ALSO IS IN 90'S EVERYTIME I CHECK I THINK IS
DUE TO WALKING AND TAKING SUPPLEMETS LIKE FAT BURNERS AND GINSENG CAN ALSO INCREASE YOUR HEART RATE .
THE BEST TIME TO CHECK FOR YOUR HEAR RATE IS AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP .
HERE IS A SITE THAT CAN BE HELPFUL .
http://www.heartmonitors.com/heart_rate_basics.htm
GOOD LUCK
skennel
skennel
United States
2003/03/10, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, my resting heart rate is 52-56, and though I'm in pretty good cardio shape, its not THAT good. I've heard that some of it is just plain genetic--i'm also hypothyroid, and tho i'm on meds, it does affect it (and I know the hard way that I don't have a fast metabolism!).
also, if you overtrain (cardio) you know because your heart rate will be higher than usual (take upon waking up over several days to get your baseline).
barneyrubble
barneyrubble
United Kingdom
2007/06/25, 09:31 AM
12 years ago when i used to play football afterwards for 12-18 hrs my heartrate used to not fall below 90 beats per minute
Years later i was diagnosed with angina (narrowing of the coranary arteries get it checked

============
Quoting from snake69:

Im curious to know everyone's Resting heart rate. My Heart rate is constantly over 85 to about 90 (for as long as i remember). I just finished Drill sergeant school and relaized this isnt a good resting heart rate. im in great shape but im wondering what can i do to lower it.
I bodybuild and am not a big fan of running and I also have a high metabolism.

=============
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/25, 05:58 PM
Yeah, maybe a good idea to get it checked.

Lets be clear on what resting heart rate is - it is taken before you get out of bed in the morning - take it for a full minute. A lot of people think that their resting heart rate is the number on the machine before they start doing cardio - this is your heart rate elevated from moving around in daily activities, not your resting heart rate.

Normal heart rates range from 60-100 beats per minute, if you are below that you are considered fitter than average.

Lowering your resting heart rate means you have increased the efficiency of your heart - it is stronger and able to pump more blood with one stroke, so it doesn't have to beat as fast.

To lower your resting heart rate you need to increase your fitness level - this does mean cardio - but you have to ease into it - if you do too much too soon you will exhaust your heart and this results in a higher heart rate .

To see if you are over or under training you should record your resting heart once a week and watch the number - if it is increasing you need to cut down on the amount of cardio you are getting and let your heart recover, if it is staying the same you are not working quite enough, if it is gradually decreasing you are doing great and increasing your fitness level. You will reach a point where you cannot increase your heart's fitness anymore - this is genetic and unchangeable, but most people can be fitter than they are.

If you heart rate is constantly elevated you may want to get checked out by your doctor, and you may need to cut way down on activities until it gets better.

When increasing cardio it may seem silly, but adding 2 minutes every other week is really enough when you start out, so begin with 15 minutes and gradually add two minutes to that time every other week. start with 2 sessions a week, then add a third session a few weeks later, and gradually work up to 20-30 minutes most days a week.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
Suntrucker
Suntrucker
United States
2007/07/06, 10:45 PM
My typical resting heart rate is 50-60, but during periods when I'm really training hard with cardio (after months of training) my hr will drop to around 44-48 at rest. I've been told by the doc that its a genetic thing. Of course, years of lifting, swimming and a couple of marathons hasn't hurt.