Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Reps?

DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/11, 09:56 PM
In my training I've been doing 5 sets (12, 11, 10, 9, 8) of medium weight per exercise and do about 4 exercises per muscle group.. Working each group only once per week. Is this bad? Is there any way to increase my training so that I safely (low risk of injury) gain more muscle? I've been using this program type for the past 3 weeks in an attempt to show more definition. It has worked surprisingly well, but I still feel as if there is a way to boost progress.. My training looks like this-

Mon. - Shoulders & Triceps
Tue. - Back

Thurs. - Chest and Biceps
Fri. - Legs

I was wondering if maybe I could change my schedule to a

Mon. - Shoulder, tri, back
Tue. - Chest and Bi, Legs

Thur - Shoulder, tri, back
Fri. - Chest, bi, legs

I'm not saying this is a proposal, but rather a model question.
Also was wondering if anyone has a proposal on the changing on reps, weight, & or sets.
I've recently became extremely confused through the complete mixure of information I've been recieving from different sources.. I know there is some way to obtain greater results.

ANY help is much appreciated.
2008/12/12, 08:26 AM
If I am reading this correctly I feel that you are doing way to much. 5 sets at your rep scheme for 4 different exercises would be 200 reps per what you call a muscle group. IMO you need to scrap this work out and start over. Now, are you trying to gain more muscle or lose body fat and get defined? These are two different goals both of which require a different type of diet. I think you need to re-evaluate your goals and get a diet plan and work out plan to meet those goals. Just curious, where did you get that routine?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/12, 03:26 PM
I agree with KA...you are overtraining your muscle groups.

Pick a goal.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DcMoody23
DcMoody23
United States
2008/12/12, 04:42 PM
When I started the program I thought I'd be overtraining too.. But my muscles are never even sore next day.. So I just continued the training.

But currently I'm trying to cut bodyfat and become defined. BUT as an athlete I'm questioning my decision.. I want to be tone, but I also want to still be able to build muscle in the future. Will defining now affect this in the future? Because if so I'll put the defining on hold.. I should naturally tone up some through musce building too.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/12/13, 10:23 AM
Cutting and getting more defined wont affect futrue bulking negatively, many athletes go through these cycles endlessly. You gain muscle and then you cut down to see it...and repeat.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield