Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Recipes - Fish and Seafood

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/08, 10:32 PM
My favorite, easiest, way to have fish in a flash -
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

spray a baking dish with cooking spray, then place frozen pollock fillets in the dish, sprinkle with the seasoning mix of your choice - Emeril's southwestern or asian are both great!

Spray top very lightly with cooking spray and bake about 12 minutes, until fish flakes easily.

Really good with salsa on top!

--------------
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
- David Viscott

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/01/12, 09:26 PM
I am a personally a fan of dousing my fish in lemmon and pepper salt. I like to cook in olive oil, as this is one of the best way to get healthy fats in your diet. A tablespoon a day is often recommended.

--------------
Pain is only temporary, it is in your mind. If you can still walk, then you can still run.

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:
The squat cage is holy ground.
============
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/01/17, 07:46 PM
skewered mustard beer(shame I know) shrimp
To make this recipe quickly and easily, buy already-peeled shrimp.

2 pounds (about 48) unpeeled large fresh shrimp
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup light beer
Vegetable cooking spray

Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Thread 6 shrimp onto each of 8 (12 inch) skewers. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with garlic powder and pepper.
Combine mustard and beer; stir mixture well.
Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-hot coals (350-400 degrees) place skewers on rack; grill, oncovered, 5 minutes on each side, basting shrimp often with mustard mixture. Yield: 4 servings (2 skewers each)

Calories 136 (16% from fat) Protein 24.8g, fat 2.4g (sat 0.3g) carb 1.6g, fiber 0.1g, chol 221mg, iron 3.5mg, sodium 400mg, calcium 46mg

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/24, 10:24 PM
My version of South beach Diet's Cod en papillote
(thats fancy for fish in parchment paper...)

1 pkg cod fillets (there were five in mine), thawed.
1/2a lemon
1c thinly sliced mushrooms
1 small zucchini, cut into matchstick strips
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced

1 1/2 tsp smart balance, divided

preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cut two 2-foot lengths of parchment paper and fold each in half to make a square (i made one extra and baked one fillet with just a 1/2 tsp of smart balance for my dauighter, no veggies). Place 2 fillets slightly below the center of each square, Over each packet, squeeze 1/4 of the lemon, then divide the mushrooms, onion and zucchini evenly between the two. Top each packet with 1/2 tsp smart balance. Fold the papaer up over the fish and veggies and crimp the edges to stay shut (I stapled the ends) Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes - to serve just cut open the packets after placing them on plates.

South beach uses cod steaks and adds red peppers with the veggies and uses more butter sub than I did.

Their totals per serving (this was two servings)
370 calories, 56g protein, 7g carbs, 12 g fat, 2g sat fat, 2g fiber.

My totals were lower in fat and protein.

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:55 PM
Garlic Shrimp Pasta
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine, or low-fat chicken stock
1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated soft margerine
6 ounces whole wheat linguine or fettuccine

1. In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook garlic and red pepper flakes for 1 minute or until garlic starts to turn golden. Add wine/stock and bring to boil. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Add parsley and margerine and cook until melted.
2. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and add to shrimp mixture. Toss to coat with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 11:56 PM
TUNA SALAD

1-2 cans of tuna
1-2 tomatoes
lettuce
1/2 tbsp of olive oil
a little bit of vinagre
salt
pepper
cottage cheese
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/20, 09:49 AM
This is from the South Beach Diet newsletter.

I love coconut curry!!!!

Coconut Shrimp Curry

Phase 2

Serves 2

Description
When making a curry, toast or warm the curry paste in liquid first, before adding other ingredients, to bring out the fragrant, complicated flavors. Opt for red curry paste as opposed to green, which is spicier, and make sure you use unsweetened coconut milk; not the thick, sweetened kind. We like to serve this over brown rice, but watch the curry — it cooks quickly and it will be done before the rice is finished cooking.

Tip: Since there's no oil in the pot, you must keep stirring the peppers and onions as they cook.

Ingredients
1 cup unsweetened light coconut milk, divided
1 teaspoon red Thai curry paste
1/2 large red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Splenda® or sugar substitute
1 teaspoon fish sauce
10-12 oz extra-large shrimp
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Sliced fresh basil leaves and fresh lime wedges for garnish

Instructions
1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and the curry paste to simmer. Add peppers and onions; cook 4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk, Splenda®, and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer; let cook 1 minute.

2. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through, stirring once to flip shrimp. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Serve over rice, garnish with basil and additional lime.

Nutritional Information:
399 calories
19 g total fat (13 g saturated fat)
235 mg cholesterol
19 g carbohydrate
37 g protein
2 g fiber
520 mg sodium

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/01/22, 11:25 AM
two words when doing fish of any kind: FOIL PACKETS

wrap your fish fillet skin side down on a non stick foil or sprayed with cooking spray, season with favorite seasoning and throw in the packet about a cup of fresh or frozen veggies cooking depends on size of fish but for your general serving wrapped tight in foil 325 at about 15 mins

personally I like wild pacific salmon with lemon pepper and sprinkled with fresh or dried dill with cauliflower and broccoli florets
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/06/12, 05:52 PM
Being from new england, you can only imagine how many seafood concoctions ive tried over the years, some very tasty, others, well you get the point, anyhoo my all time favorite is blackened swordfish on the grille, with a lemon pepper butter sauce used as a marinade before and during cooking...

my grille has a spot on it to sear foods, high temp in a short period of time, marinade fish for 1-2 hours, get grille smoking hot, extra virgin olive oil the cooking surface, drop swordfish filet on grille, let sear for 2 minutes each side ( thats how you get the blackened surface ) turn heat to low-medium, continue to cook while basting with the lemon/pepper/butter for additional 10 minutes or until fish become opaque and/or flaky, remove, baste once more to taste, voila.....

i serve it with grilled red/yellow/green peppers, asparagus and top off with grilled pineapple slices and white wine...

yummy .:love:

--------------
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/13, 09:55 AM
(drooling on keyboard...) Bill - that sounds fantastic - on of my main gripes about living in the landlocked midwest is the lack of fresh, affordable seafood...boo hoo. I sit around (eating tune salad..)and read seafood cookbooks and dream about the sort of things you just described.:)

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/06/13, 06:42 PM
i also like the tilapia, has a taste similar to a fresh water fish we catch here called horned pout, or catfish for those non yankees. i also love mahi mahi or dolphin its called outside the grocery store, who would buy it if they hear the " they call him flipper, flipper, faster than lightning " song in their heads :laugh: actually flipper is a dolphin and mahi mahi is a dolphin fish, i know, its confusing . google mahi mahi and you'll see....

--------------
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer.

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/01/02, 11:38 AM
Easiest Orange Roughy

Preheat oven to 400.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray,
place frozen orange roughy fillets in dish and sprinkle with seasoning blend of your choice. Cover with foil, bake 1/2 hour.
While it bakes, make some brown rice and then steam some broccoli - quick, easy, healthy!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Tolman24
Tolman24
United States
2008/12/03, 08:35 PM
quick fish. I like fried fish but not the extra calories. The following is a favorite for fresh halibut. (Hey I'm from Alaska so I have to eat halibut)

Makes 4 servings

1 pound thin halibut filets (you can also use tilapia, sole, orange roughy, sea bass or any white fish)

Coating:
1 1/2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
2 teaspoons All Bay seasoning
(or any seasoning you like, I also just use lemon pepper or Mrs. Dash's)

Egg Wash:
2 large eggs, (higher omega-3 if available)
2 teaspoons water

4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian or regular parsley (optional)

1. Pat fish dry with paper towels and set aside. Add coating ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add egg wash ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix.
2. Start heating olive oil in large, nonstick skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Quickly dip each fish filet in the egg wash and then the crumb coating (making sure there is plenty of crumb coating sticking to the filet). Place coated fish in hot skillet and continue with fish filets until all have been coated with egg and the crumb coating and placed in the pan. Coat the tops of the fish with olive oil cooking spray.
3. When the bottoms are nice and brown (about 4 minutes), flip fish filets over to brown other side (about 3 minutes more). Remove to serving dish and keep warm by covering the fish with a sheet of foil.

Pretty simple and fairly healthy. Goes great with rice or a steamed veggies.