Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

ratios

Lindsay22
Lindsay22
United States
2007/07/11, 07:23 AM
I know there are websites for this, and if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a trainer at a local gym, and I have a woman who would like to know the ratios of calories she is "supposed" to intake for weight loss. She is currently about 5'3 and 245lbs, with about 41% body fat. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/07/11, 08:23 AM
There is a basic weight loss diet in this forum, one of the stickies. Read that thread.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/11, 09:36 AM
lindsay - if you want to follow the recommended guidlines, go to myfoodpyramid.gov ( I think).

The ratios we suggest here are not the government guidleines and are not what your certifying org would recommend, so you have to be careful when recommending them to clients - you aren't a nutritionist or dietitian so you are expected to be vague and go by the government recommendations. It is very frustrating.

I think the best thing to do in this case is first have her record what she eats right now for two or three weeks so you can establish a baseline. Then look over the food journal with her and begin to shift her towards healthier, leaner choices, then you can help her set healthier meal patterns, fluid intake goals, etc.

I would try to steer her initially towards a 40/30/30 ratio of protein/carbs/fats. many people lose weight with this ratio, simply because they have cleaned up their diet and are getting sufficient protein. f she fails to see results on that ratio, you can then try a diet like the one in the WSSC Food plan.

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle