Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Questions on Workout

DarScull
DarScull
Ireland
2008/09/01, 08:34 PM
OK I have a few questions.

1. On my first day I have 3 exercises. Should I be doing all 3 exercises in a short period of time e.g. do the first and straight after do the second and then the third? or do I take a break in between each and if so how long a rest is acceptable?

2. What do I do if I don't have a specific machine to use such as the seated calf raise machine?

3. How long should I rest between each set?

4. Should I be doing the same amount of reps on each arm? Should I start with my bad arm and do the same amount of reps with my good arm or should I do as many as possible with both? If I do as many as possible how do I record the results?

Any replies would be great!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/02, 10:21 AM
1. assuming you are not doing a circuit routine - do all the sets of the first exercise with a minute rest inbetween sets, then go onto the next exercise. If you are lifting very heavy, low reps you may want longer rest periods - 2-5 minutes even. if you are going a little lighter and higher reps 30 seconds to a minute is sufficient.

2. seated calf raise - sit on the side of a bench, place your toes on a weight plate or 2X4 and place dumb bells on the tops of your knees, lower your heels towards the floor and then lift. I think you also have the choice to swap exercises in your routine, unless that is a pro member only option..

3. read number 1.

4. Same number of reps per arm. When you say bad arm - do you have an injury or disability on one side? or just one side is weaker (which is normal)? As far as recording..if you end up doing different number of reps on each side, keep a notebook with notes for yourself anf just enter the weight used and whatever reps you got with your 'bad' arm on the computer tracker, at least that makes sense to me...

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield
DarScull
DarScull
Ireland
2008/09/02, 11:15 AM
Ok thanks and I meant weaker arm.
One more question, what different exercise could I do for machine squats?
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/09/02, 12:16 PM
Look Here..
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/TargetsThighs3.jsp

To get to that page, at the top menu system, Click
Health Resources
Then -
Exercise/Fitness Resources - Enter
Then - Choose your muscle Group in this case...
Thighs & Glutes
Then -
Page 3 (The Info on Pages 1 and 2 are good info to know and understand also.)

Now look at the other available exercises which target the same body parts. Substitute as necessary.

OR, Do more research on www.exrx.net for alternate exercises.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

Cliff
Wilburburns
Wilburburns
United States
2008/09/02, 12:19 PM

============
Quoting from asimmer:

2. seated calf raise - I think you also have the choice to swap exercises in your routine, unless that is a pro member only option..

=============

Amy, I believe the option to actually change/swap exercises is only available to PRO/PAID users. However, he can still research alternate exercises as I have explained above. He just can't log the alternate exercises. I currently prefer Fitsync.com on my Iphone for exercise tracking/logging anyway.

Cliff
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/09/02, 03:55 PM
Thanks Cliff :)

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield