Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Questions from a Skinny Girl

DaintySabrina
DaintySabrina
United States
2007/08/13, 09:15 AM
Since I turned 20 this past month, I've been meaning to kick the fitness level up a notch. However, everything (most things) I have been reading on these forums is targeted for weight loss. Standing at 5'6" and 110lbs, I feel like a stick figure that can't lift anything.

My first day at the gym was a complete embarassment. My younger brother does weight and conditioning at school, so he tried to show me the ropes. We just discovered that I am a major weakling. Haha.

I'm wondering...
1) Should I start training simply with push ups and sit ups (at home exercises) or lighter weights at the gym?
2) Will muscle development show up quicker on me as opposed to people with a higher body fat percentage?
3) Is it realistic to drop clothing sizes without weight loss?
4) Will I be a weakling forever... how long should it take me to increase weight? (mind you, I'm a whimp).

That is all for now. Thank you so much for the help!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/08/13, 10:23 AM
You will not be a weakling forever! Start lifting the weights you can amange and aim for one more rep the next workout with the same weight, until you are ready to go up.
Everyone has to start somewhere - you will egt stronger and shaplier if you stick with it and eat enough to support your efforts. And yes, it is possible to lose size without losing weight - when you add lean mass you may actually gain weight, but you will be firmer and denser, so you may be a samller size at a higher wiehgt.

Your definition should show sooner just because you have less bodyfat covering it, but being skinny does not always mean you aren't 'fat' you can be very thin, but be very mushy - we call this 'skinny-fat'. If you start lifting consistently you will change the mush into nice firm muscle, which will look good and be functional!

--------------
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle