Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Question - Active Rest?

rwbowle
rwbowle
United States
2006/12/30, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know what the definition of "active rest" is? I ran across this in the "Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength" book by Jim Stoppani.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/12/30, 11:23 PM
From www.bodybuilding.com

"Active "Rest" - Don't let the word rest fool you here, this actually refers to using light activity to hasten recovery, most notably your cool-down period. By taking 10-20 minutes after working out to do some light aerobic activity and stretch you help to boost your recovery immediately. Consider this - 10 minutes of light jogging (no more than 60% of estimated max heart rate) will help remove around 60% of the lactic acid built up in your muscles, another 10 minutes will clear out an additional 25%.

If you don't cool-down, it can take up to 4 hours to completely clear the lactic acid and other metabolic wastes from the muscle tissue. Stretching helps as well to "wring" the metabolic wastes from the muscle tissue in addition to helping to restore the muscles to their normal length."

Besides your warm-up, active rest also refers to light workouts between heavy ones and periods of less structured training in a periodized program. Light activity will speed recovery faster than complete rest alone.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol