Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

PWO shake recipes

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/02/13, 10:31 PM
What everyone throwing into their post workout meal? What should I be looking for, and what should I avoid?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/14, 06:08 PM
Depends of course on goals.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/02/14, 09:15 PM
Training for strength and power; not going for mass.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/15, 11:59 AM
Well, training for strength and power is typically the same as mass. Very few of your 'little' guys are strong and powerful. We all know that exception to the rule, that one little guy that is strong as an ox, but really this is the exception rather than the norm.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

merrillj
merrillj
United States
2008/02/15, 12:40 PM
Agree totally. Increased muscle mass increases leverage as well.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Well, training for strength and power is typically the same as mass. Very few of your 'little' guys are strong and powerful. We all know that exception to the rule, that one little guy that is strong as an ox, but really this is the exception rather than the norm.

=============
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/02/15, 02:58 PM
*sigh* Are we gonna get back onto this? Let me restate that ALL mass gains are not unwelcome, but I'm not looking to increase my weight class, alright? I might not be maximizing my potential from a strongman, or even powerlifter point of view, but why would I care? Yeah, the little guy usually isn't as strong as an ox, at least on an absolute scale, but the smalller athletes are usually lifting more per pound of bodyweight. Have you ever seen a 250lb+ guy do a one armed pull-up?

So let's just say, for the sake of argument, that there was some magical training method, in some far off, fairytale land, that could make you stronger without making you look like a frog.

My original question wasn't about me specifically anyways; I just wanted to know what type of nutrition is usually needed immediately after a workout. Perhaps I was under the impression that it was more or less universal.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/15, 09:01 PM
Sorry for trying to answer your question. Simply making a point that I thought you may have overlooked. No arguments here. I will forgo and let others respond.

--------------

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2008/02/15, 09:49 PM
I have to say the stronger I get any anyone else I know the bigger the get and this doesn't mean massive size gains but the scale will go up if not 5 or 10 pounds.

I for one am just like you I train to get stronger but don't eat to gain massive gains but I do gain and at some point will have to eat more or I'll plateau!

I have 2 PWO Shakes and they are for fast recovery!

Immediately after I stop lifting I taken in Some Waxy Maze Strarch in water and with added BCAA's, 20 to 30 minutes later I have Shake of 1.5 scoops of Whey Isolated Cold Filtration with add Beta Alanine.

You can learn about this type of PWO at trueprotein.com in the forums.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
Tinnuk
Tinnuk
Canada
2008/02/16, 03:29 PM
I didn't mean to sound so...aggressive in that last post; I tend to get frustrated whenever that aspect of my fitness pursuits comes up. It always either becomes a series of questions, or a debate about how plausible it is. As far as I understand, from research and personal experience, high intensity, low volume training, seems to bring about the results I'm looking for. I don't understand why my goals are so "out there", but apparently they're rather eccentric.
Anyways, despite that outlash, I do appreciate the input and I apologize for being a prick.

============
Quoting from bb1fit:

Sorry for trying to answer your question. Simply making a point that I thought you may have overlooked. No arguments here. I will forgo and let others respond.
=============

Thanks for the link, but I have no idea where to begin with all that...I wonder, are all those supplements neccessary? I was hoping that I could get all that I needed at a grocery store; this may be a lot more complicated then I first expected.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/02/18, 02:56 PM
Tinnuk - you really can benefit just from a postworkout shake that has whey ion it and then some simple carbs, this is a time you can get away with a bagel or some pasta.

My pwo shake is 1 scoop whey and 2 tbsp heavy cream, an hour later I have a small meal of protein and some fast absorbing carbs.