Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

proteins

demonium
demonium
Ireland
2012/02/12, 04:32 AM
hi guys id like to know ur opinion about proteins,shakes,creatine ecc....
Do u think that this stuff work for real...i mean is it something that u should include in your training program,or is ti something made up just to make us spend more money?
george
george
Canada
2012/02/12, 06:58 AM
Yes, protein is essential to maintain your muscle mass as well as repari and rebuild new tissue. Whether you need shakes or can get it from real food varies from person to person. Ideally, you should consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and 1.2 to 1.5 grams of protein if you are active and aiming to gain muscle. If you are going to take a protein supplement, the best time is to use a whey isolate protein right after your workouts, and then follow that up within 60 minutes with a solid meal.

Creatine is also very beneficial for weight training. It is one of the few natural supplements that have proven results. Your muscles general will hold more water with creatine but due to Adenosine triphosphate (ATP)  which is found increatine you are able to increase strength, build more muscle, blood flow to transport key nutrients etc.

If I were to suggest basic staple supplements that work and are safe I would recommend:

Whey Protein
Creatine
Glutamine
Multi-Vitamin
Fish Oil
2012/02/12, 10:53 AM
I take fish oil, a calcium-magnesium-zinc combo and eat plenty of protein. Be sure that you read labels on your whey protein. Some of it is loaded with sugar. Cottage cheese is a really good protein source and especially good at bedtime because of it's slow release properties. I also take glucosamine and condroitan because it helps my joints. From what I've read about 30% of those who take it can feel the benefit. My wife says it does nothing for her but if I stop taking it for a couple of weeks I can tell a difference. I used creatine with good results years ago but I stopped. I don't know why. We eat a lot of lean meat, fish and bird for protein as well as a good number of high protein vegetables.We're retired and have the time to grow our own veggies and prepare scratch meals but that's hard to do with a full time job. Walnuts and pecans in moderation provide some protein and good fats.
demonium
demonium
Ireland
2012/02/12, 05:44 PM
ok i understand...so i weight 78 kg wich is should b 172 pound pretty much....so u r sayng that i should take around 250 gr of protein per day...what do you suggest me as supplement...consider that i honestly can't afford more than 1 product since they r quite expensive...do u think i should get whey protein or a blended protein,like a mix of stuff..
2012/02/12, 06:50 PM
That's kind of up to you and your wallet. A simple whey powder is pretty much all I've ever used. Just be a label reader. The powder should have 35 grams of protein per scoop and minimal fats and sugar. It's best to get it into your system as soon as you can post workout. Mix with water, drink half of it quickly and then sip it for a bit until it's gone. Pay attention to the total calories and sugars. Count the calories in your daily count. You look pretty lean in the photo. Are you trying to gain or lose?
demonium
demonium
Ireland
2012/02/13, 05:52 AM
im trying to gain muscle,and with my job its impossible for me to count the calories since except when im home,when i work i can't eat what i want.
2012/02/13, 09:56 AM
Got it.  Eat as clean as you can and lift as heavy as you can.