Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Protein Bar Recipes

1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last
ZackDarnell
ZackDarnell
United States
2001/12/13, 12:23 PM
Anyone know any good recipes for homemade protein bars, or a website that might have some recipes? let me know.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/14, 02:48 AM
Good question Zack, never heard about anybody making their own protein bars...... I guess you need lots of different kind of stuff (that's maybe not that easy to get)to do that... Please let me know also if you find something.
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/12/14, 01:46 PM
That would be very interesting to find....have yet to hear of any recipes...will try to find something...and it someone else does...LET US KNOW!!!!!

Good Luck!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/15, 02:54 AM
Well something about peanut butter, honey, oats and whey proteins all mixed together.....
I even found somebody putting banana, milk, cinnamon and eggs in it too. I guess those homemade bars are good for people trying to gain muscle mass, but not for people who wants to loose weight.
(by the way you guys have a good alternative to peanut butter?!!! Something with a far better taste and who can clue a big mixture like home made protein bars together?!!! lol)
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/15, 06:39 AM
I have a recipe that calls for Lowfat Tofu (kind in the box whipped to cream consistency)egg white, protein powder, sucralose (Splenda)cinnamon, oats and oatbran (and optional raisins and almonds or soynuts.) Not like a cookie but not bad either my husband eats them (I am allergic too eggs)High protein little to no fat
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/12/15, 06:47 AM
How do you cook it? You blend it all together and then owen? Does it work in a microwave too?!!! (that's all I got in the gym lol) The egg whites are enough to make it all stick together?!!!
lol, stupid questions here I know, but now I got too curious!!
ZackDarnell
ZackDarnell
United States
2001/12/15, 09:20 AM
can you put that recipe on here? id like to see it
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2001/12/15, 04:52 PM
Gee I would love too but well.. I modified this recipe years ago by experiment and its in my head. (a baking talent inherited from my mom) I guess and adjust till it seems like the right consistency! So what I will do is make a batch with in the next week and write it down! I bake it in the oven, store for a couple days. I have the profile in my recipe program I think its like 50% protein 40% carb 10% fat no wheat or sugar (unless you add raisins) you can use sugar instead of Splenda I don't cuz then you might as well have a real cookie.
ZackDarnell
ZackDarnell
United States
2001/12/15, 10:48 PM
thanks, that would be great. the sooner the better!
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/09, 08:51 PM
ZACK ...Do you still want that recipe?? I wrote it down. It is made with tofu. If you like the texture of tofu you might like it. Some people hate tofu, especially the feel of it. Actually tofu is tasteless that why it works well in recipes.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/10, 03:32 AM
I WANT IT!!! please!!

Tofu is good, but you just have to mix it with something to give it some taste.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/10, 07:14 AM
I'll post it tonite ater work. thats like 10 pm for me Promise!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/10, 07:25 AM
Geez Leslie, I was sitting here ready with pen and paper and everything..... lol now I'm disappointed!! (o:
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/11, 07:29 AM
Tofu Bars
1 box Tofu, drained and whipped or mashed (I use low-fat MORI-NU)
1/2 cup egg whites (All White's Brand not Eggbeaters as they have flavors in them )
2/3 cup protein powder ( I use the multi blend like HDT, Muscle Provider, Ultra Size with 0-3 carbs in them. If I use 100% whey it will need an extra tablespoon of flour because 100% whey make the batter wetter!You can use part MPR powder like Met Rx (but it will increase the carb ratio )
16-18 Splenda packets(can use Nutra-Sweet Equal which will be sweeter)
*i have never tried with sugar but the eqivalent would be 1/3 to 1/2 cup.
1/3 cup regular oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour or oat flour OR grind 1/3 cup oats until very fine.
1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon
optional: 1/4 cup raisins and sprinke crushed almond slices
on top. Batter should not be thin like a cake more stiff like a brownie batter.
(I don't add baking powder because they get cake like with out it they are more dense)
Put in a small 8x8 pan spray with PAM (or other) bake about
18-22 min at 350. This is the tough part. They are done when they are firm on the top but still a little soft inside.
Tofu is a funny thing as it cools it gets firm. If you over cook it it will just dry out. You may have to experiment because of all the proteins on the market. Don't use soy they taste yucky with soy.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/11, 07:34 AM
with low fat tofu
this is about 40 % carb 45% protein and 15% fat
about 938 per pan so don't eat 1/2 of it like my husband does. let them COOL before cutting
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/11, 08:39 AM
Thanks Leslie, I've printed it out so I'll give it a try.

Let's see how it tastes....
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/13, 09:24 PM
please note, I didn't write this, and I haven't tested it. It came from the master chef on the BFL womens board.

BTW, congrats Leslie on becoming a smurf! One day, I hope to be a blue dot just like you and Nina!

Homemade Meal Replacement Bar
Makes 8 bars

1 c. raw oatmeal
1 ½ c. chocolate protein powder;
¼ c. reduced fat creamy peanut butter
½ c. nonfat dry milk powder
2 egg whites, beaten
½ c. raisins
¼ - 1/3 c. water
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Gradually add water to mixture . Spray a 9x9” square pan with cooking spray. Pour batter in pan and spread as best as you can . Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes .Let cool slightly; cut into 8 bars.
Nutritional stats per bar;
Calories:249
Proteins:24g.
Carbs:24g.
Fats:6g.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/14, 03:28 AM
Hi Leslie, I just tried your recipe. I did change it a little since I put in some apple and then less sugar, but it still came out very nice. I think I'll put some cinnamon powder on it the next time but that's it. Nice recipe thanks a lot (and congratulations for your new dress!!!!!)

Hmmm Alorle, I'll give yours a try as well. Just do you think I can change the peanut butter with honey? (I hate peanuts! lol)
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/14, 07:07 AM
Thanks. I look good in this color. I will wear it a while too! I will try Aroles recipe. I have tried it with apple but I forgot about that way. Thanks.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/14, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't trade PB for honey, but you might try molasses. I don't think that molasses are as high in sugar, and they may even have some protein in them like PB, but I'm not certain about that.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/15, 04:44 AM
What the h*** is that? Molasses?!!!!! Never heard about it.... ):
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/15, 07:18 AM
Yuck I think that molassas would be terrible. You never heard of Molassas??????Purely American I guess. It comes from trees like Maple Syrup only VERY Strong. I made these bars last nite. I overcooked them so they are dry. Actually I think you could just drop the peanut butter and it wouldn't matter and add applesauce or honey.
jeknee93
jeknee93
United States
2002/01/15, 07:00 PM
I haven't tried any of these but
this is a good search site:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=Protein+Bar+Recipe
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/15, 09:40 PM
from a distributor, so it promotes their brand:

The highest grade, pure molasses - like Grandma's - is made from 100% pure, natural sugarcane juices, clarified, reduced, and blended to get just the right color and consistency. But there's difference in grades of molasses.

The purest molasses is pure cane juice. If a manufacturer wants sugar, the cane juice will be processed. The result is a raw sugar and low purity molasses. But Grandma's Original Molasses (Gold Label) is the original, high purity, unprocessed cane juice without any sugar extraction. In manufacturing raw sugar, after the cane has been harvested and mashed, the raw juices are boiled to extract sugar. To produce table sugar, the manufacturer will further process raw sugar into refined sugar. The remaining syrup - after the sugar has been crystallized - is called first molasses. Grandma's Robust Molasses (Green Label) is a blend of first molasses. First molasses, a thick brown syrup, is then thinned with water and re-boiled so that more raw sugar can be extracted.

The leftover syrup from the second boiling is second molasses, and so on. The more boiling you have, the less sweet molasses becomes until you get down to three or more boilings. By this time, molasses has almost no sweetness and is called blackstrap, which has a really bitter, unpleasant taste, and is used primarily for cattle feed and industrial purposes.

Grandma's Original Molasses is pure, concentrated cane juice, and retains its natural sugar content. What's more, it's made from special sunripened sugar cane grown in the West Indies - the only molasses made from premium quality, imported sugar cane. It's sweet, light and never bitter. Grandma's Molasses is a rich, amber-color that blends beautifully with other foods and enhances the natural flavors of the ingredients with which it is mixed.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/15, 09:51 PM
Boston Molasses Flood, 1919

The United States Alcohol Company owned the largest molasses storage tank in Boston. The steel structure was ninety feet in diameter, fifty-two feet in height and was filled to the top with 2.3 million gallons of molasses. Then, shortly before noon on January 15, the vat exploded with a tremendous roar.

Chunks of metal flew everywhere, piercing into people and buildings for hundreds of feet around. One huge chunk of steel smashed through a massive stone pillar supporting an elevated railroad. A piece of the railway sagged and fell. An alert train driver had his locomotive come to a screeching halt just moments before it would have plunged over.

The disappearance of that huge tank sent out a blast of air that pushed people away. But seconds later a counterblast rushed in to fill the vacuum and pulled them back in.

But most of the damage was caused by the molasses itself. It splashed onto city streets in all directions, speeding as fast as a man could run. The molasses smashed freight cars, plowed over homes and warehouses and drowned both people and animals. A three story house was seen soaring through the air as well as a huge chunk of the shattered vat that landed in a park 200 feet away.

Rescuers were bogged down in the stuff and were scarcely able to move as the molasses sucked the boots right off their feet. Trapped horses coudn't be removed so they had to be shot to death. The black sticky stuff filled cellars for blocks around and it took months for the hydraulic syphons to pump it out. Salt water had to be sprayed on cobblestone streets, homes, and other buildings because fresh water would just wash off the stuff. For months afterwards, wherever people walked, their shoes stuck to the goo. Some people even claimed that on a hot day one could still smell molasses even after thirty years.

The distillery was brought to court; 119 different suits of damages were brought against them. The United States Alcohol Company claimed no responsibility for the mess. They accused anarchists of blowing up the molasses tank. There were some bomb-throwing anarchists around at that time, but there was no proof to show that any of them tossed an explosive at this particular structure.

Still, the distillery felt confident that they could win the case because most of the twenty-one people who died and most of the people who were suing them were poor people.

The court proceedings lasted 309 days with some of the hearings not ending until 10 p.m. on some nights. In 1925 the distillery had to pay out more than a million dollars in damages.

What happened? No one knows for sure. They do know that on the day of the explosion the weather was 40 degrees fahrenheit while on the day before it was 2 degrees fahrenheit. It is believed that the sudden increase in temperature caused the molasses to expand and the tank to explode.

And then there were the investigators. They went to city hall and looked at the plans that were filed when the tank was built years earlier. They couldn't find any building plans. The building inspectors said that building plans were not required because the vat was not a building but an industrial device. The industrial department people said that it was not an industrial device but a structure. The tank was built with no plans approved and no government inspectors involved.
sanddevil
sanddevil
United States
2002/01/15, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the recipes guys.I will indeed try them my work schedule doesn't enable me to sit for all my meals so its been shakes and bars and that was getting expensive. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Dave
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/17, 10:56 AM
The woman I'm getting these recipes from is publishing a cookbook due out in April. I'll let everyone know when it comes out and what it's called!

Joann’s Tweaked Fool Yourself Cookies
Makes 8 cookies

1 T. fat free cream cheese
1 pkg. sugar free/ fat free hot cocoa mix
1/3 banana
1/3 c. oatmeal, raw
1 scoop either chocolate or vanilla protein powder
1 egg white
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mash together banana and cream cheese in a med. bowl. Add egg white, vanilla and beat. In a separate bowl combine the 1/3 c. of the powdered oatmeal, hot cocoa mix, protein powder and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients batter should be the consistency of thick cake batter. Spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray. Drop batter onto cookie sheet into 8 mounds . Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove cookies immediately to a wire rack to cool . The cookies rise slightly in the oven and the end result is a cake like texture.
Makes 8 cookies. Nutritional stats per cookie;
Calories:38
Proteins:4g.
Carbs:5g.
Fats:1/2g.
So eat the number of cookies that will give you your portion size.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/17, 10:57 AM
Joann’s BFL Brownies
Makes 9 brownies

1 T. canola margarine
7 T. fat free cream cheese
½ c. Splenda sugar replacement
1 tsp. butter flavored extract
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
3 T. fat free miracle whip
½ c. uncooked oatmeal, blended to powder
¼ c. whole wheat flour
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1/3 c. Hershey’s Cocoa
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 T. water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a med. bowl and using a hand mixer; mix together margarine, cream cheese, and miracle whip until light and fluffy. Add Splenda and butter flavored extract. Then add whole egg and egg whites; mix well. Set aside. In a separate bowl combine oatmeal powder, whole wheat flour, protein powder, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix well to combine. Then add to liquid mixture and add the water. Pour batter into a 9x9” square pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Smooth batter evenly into pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool; then cut into 9 pieces. Nutritional stats per brownie;
Calories:99
Proteins:9g.
Carbs:9g.
Fats:3g.
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/17, 09:18 PM
HEY ALORLE you are one amazing girl! So much info that Molassas stuff was COOL. I think molassas is only good in Grandma's Cookies(opps don't eat those anymore) got to try your recipes instead!!!!!!
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/17, 11:10 PM
Just to clarify, they aren't 'my' recipes. :)

I got them off the Body for Life women's club site, and they are approved foods as far as being well balanced and good for ya. The resident chef over there has bunches of them, and said I could dole them out to whomever I wish.

The molasses stuff was kind of neat though. I'd never heard about the molasses flood until I tried to find a good molasses definition. :)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/18, 09:14 AM
I still don't know this molasses thing. I guess I have to taste it in the States. But it's quite dangerous!!!!!! Are we suppose to eat or swim in it? (o:

I'll give your cookies a try to. Thanks
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/02/09, 12:15 PM
~~Strawberry & Banana Meal Replacent Bars~~
Makes 6 bars

1 c. raw oatmeal
5 scoops of Strawberry protein powder
1/4 c. fat free cream cheese
1/2 c. non fat dry powder milk
2 egg whites
1/4 c. water
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
2 tsp. Canola oil
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9" square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a med. bowl combine oatmeal, protein powder, and dry milk. Set aside. In another bowl beat together with an electric hand mixer; cream cheese, egg whites, bananas, water and oil. Add the oat mixture and continue to beat until the two are combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 6 bars. Nutritional stats per bar are;
Calories:203
Proteins:22g.
Carbs:22g.
Fats:3g.
ZackDarnell
ZackDarnell
United States
2002/02/09, 04:18 PM
I created a great new protein bar recipe last night. Here it is:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) Fat-free cream cheese
6 tbsp Reduced-Fat Natural Peanut Butter
4 scoops Chocolate Whey Protein (i used isopure)
about 1/8 cup Eggbeaters Egg Substitute
1 packet Nestle Carnation Fat-free hot cocoa mix
1/2 cup raw oatmeal (regular, slow cooking)
Splenda artificial sweetener (amt. depends on how sweet you want them)

-Heat cream cheese and PB in the microwave until soft. Mix well
-Add splenda until it's sweet
-Add a little of the Eggbeaters
-Add Protein and mix well. It will be hard to mix at first but will eventually mix in.
-Add Nestle Hot-cocoa mix and mix well. If it needs to be wetter, add more of the Eggbeaters
-When you get a nice, play-doh conssistancy, add oats and mix.
-Lightly spray wax paper with cooking spray.
-Place dough on wax paper and press out to desired thickness
-Chill in refrigerator for a while
-Cut into bars

**Nutritional info (for the whole recipe. divide as you like):
Calories- 1288
Fat- 36 g (8 g saturated)
Carbs- 74 g (16 g fiber)
Protein - 160 g

The ratio comes out to be:
Protein- 50%
Carbs- 25%
Fat- 25%

Everyone try this today, its very good. Let me know what you think.

--Zack
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/09, 04:41 PM
Sounds good Zack and Arole. I'll try them when I go off this strict (competition) diet.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/02/09, 09:14 PM
Yummy...both recipes sound very good! Thanks Alorle and Zackdarnell...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/02/10, 02:55 AM
When not competiting before October, why are you on a strict comp diet already ltroisi?
You'll just risk having no energy for the training and flat looking muscles......
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/02/10, 09:29 AM
Good question Nina. I have a "photo shoot" in May.
Doing some promotional work and need to be lean. I will probably stop at 9-10% where as for a show you need to get alot lower.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/02/27, 10:48 AM
1 square unsweetened baker's chocolate
2 Tbls. butter
2 Tbls. heavy cream
3 pkts Equal (I used Splenda)
3 scoops (1 cup) Chocolate Designer Protein (or any other chocolate whey protein)
1 cup chopped peanuts (I used 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut (hence the above!)
2 Tbls. Sugar Free Torani Syrup or maple syrup (or water, in a pinch...) --I used the maple syrup, as that, our market had!
Melt choc and butter in mike 1 min; stir until completely melted. Add Equal and heavy cream and stir til creamy. Add protein powder, peanuts, coconut and stir till mixed pretty well, add syrup (or water), and mix thoroughly(you may have to knead with your handsat this point, as mixture will be very stiff). Line a bread loaf pan with plastic wrap and press in mixture firmly and evenly. Chill till firm. Cut into 6 bars. These were huge, so I made it into 9 bars.
Approx 5 carbs/15 grams protein per 1/6 recipe.
Homemade Protein Bars

3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups dry milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cup lite syrup
2 scoops protein powder
2 egg whites
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup craisins (cranberry/raisins, or cranberries or raisins) or chopped apple and chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients as you add them to each other and then in a waxpaper lined cookie sheet spread the mixture out. After you do this and before you bake them, take a butter knife and cut them into 10 squares. Put them in a 325' oven until lightly browned (about 15 minutes) and store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks without refrigeration.

Makes 10 Bars 1Bar = 200 calories 12.2 g protein 25 g carbs.

Natural Health and Strength
This Make 16 Protein Bars

1 Cup of Natural Peanut Butter or LowFat Peanutbutter
1 1/2 cups Honey
2 cups of protein powder (I use vanilla whey protein) (Chocolate is great too!)
3 cups dry,uncooked oatmeal

Directions:

Combine peanut butter and honey in a large nonstick pot, and warm it up over low heat . I start out with just the peanutbutter and honey, then add the protein powder,and finally the oats. You don't want to cook it, just heat it up enough to be able to stir it together.

Press into a 9" x 13" pan. Let them cool, and cut into 16 equal bars.(I cut them into 32 bars). Wrap each bar in foil or saran wrap and store in plastic baggies. No need to refrigerate, the ingredients are all natural.

Nutritional Information:
(based upon using lowfat natural peanut butter) (Smuckers)
Serving Size: 1 Bar
Calories:267
Fat:8 g
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g
( nutritional info may vary depending upon the ingredients you use)

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/12, 11:29 AM
bump
smak67
smak67
United States
2004/02/12, 03:43 PM
Wow, I can't wait to try these, I too have a busy schedule and don't always have the time to eat well...Anything helps.
Thanks.

--------------
Sean...
strive for excellence
temort
temort
Albania
2004/02/22, 12:20 AM
Wow! Great Recipes, thanx!
temort
temort
Albania
2004/02/22, 03:54 PM
"Natural Health and Strength"

Made these today...they are YUMMY!!!!

I feel guilty eating them. They are ssoooo sweet!

Thanx again for the recipe. I will try the others next weekend.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/06/01, 06:32 PM
bump
KajiMaster
KajiMaster
United States
2005/03/04, 07:21 PM
Any thing I can do to decrease the amount of honey used in "Natural Health and Strength" bar's. Would like to decrease the carb count. It looks easy enough to make and simple ingredients.
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/04, 09:18 PM
Check the recipe thumb tac for some non-cook protein bars I posted, might be what your looking for.
italian_boxer
italian_boxer
Canada
2005/03/04, 09:23 PM
whats better home protein bars or ones u buy in the store?
italian_boxer
italian_boxer
Canada
2005/03/04, 10:55 PM
and also i just recently bought a tub of protein powder and i curious wethere its better to use it after i work out or before to get best results?
JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2005/03/05, 01:12 PM
Do a search at the bottom for protein bars, your good at that:dumbbell:
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2005/03/05, 07:45 PM
:big_smile:
cehrabehra
cehrabehra
United States
2006/02/12, 06:27 PM
Actually, molasses isn't from a tree - it is a byproduct in the process of turning cane sugar into white table sugar. It has a flavor reminicent of very strong brown sugar.

============
Quoting from ltroisi:

Yuck I think that molassas would be terrible. You never heard of Molassas??????Purely American I guess. It comes from trees like Maple Syrup only VERY Strong. I made these bars last nite. I overcooked them so they are dry. Actually I think you could just drop the peanut butter and it wouldn't matter and add applesauce or honey.

=============
1 2 of 2 pages resultset_next resultset_last