Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Progress Question

Jazzkhan
Jazzkhan
Canada
2008/02/02, 01:42 PM
Hi folks,
I am new here from Toronto, Canada. Reading this board for couple of months but posting first time. I just would like to know if my progress is normal and how can I improve things. I would greatly appreciate if I get some expert advices. So here are the details:

I am 37 working out for 8 weeks now. I used to weight 160lbs and trying to gain as much mass as possible. Started to keep the log from 4 weeks:

4th week:

weight 162.2
fat% 21.4
Mass 127.49
Fat 34.71

Today:
weight 165.6
Fat% 22.1
Fat 36.60
Mass 129

I weight every Saturday morning empty stomach

Routine:

Monday Chest/triceps

Bench press smith machine 2x8
Incline Press 2x8
Dumbbell Fly 2x8
Cable pull down 2x8
Triceps Extension 2x8
Dumbbell Kickback 2x8

Wednesday Back/Biceps:
Lat pull 2x8
Dumbbell Bent over Row 2x8
Seated Row 2x8
EZbar Curl 2x8
Cable Curl 2x8
Dumbbell preacher curl 2x8

Friday Shoulder/Legs

Military press 2x8
Lateral raise 2x8
front raise 2x8

Legs started from this week
Back squats 2x8
Leg curl 2x8
Leg extension 2x8
Calf raise 2x8

I am taking 100% whey from beginning and started to take creatine and glutamine since last week. I am using home fat calcualtors so maybe this gains are mostly water retention weight?

Looking forward to get some expert advices.
Jazzkhan
Jazzkhan
Canada
2008/02/02, 01:43 PM
Sorry Forgot some details I am male and 5.9 tall.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/02, 01:48 PM
If you see progress, you are going in the right direction. We cannot really give you a 'grade' on your progress, as we are all different physiologies and thus progress differently. If you are working out with intensity, have a diet that is in check for your requirements, and getting adequate rest, this is really all you can do to maximise your gains.

That being said, your fat mass may have gone up a bit too fast. Not knowing your situation, one thing that comes to mind is those who were at one time , shall we say heavy, and lost weight will have a tendancy to add fat mass faster than someone who is typically lean.

Another would of course be in your dietary macro intake. Adequate protein intake is a must.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Jazzkhan
Jazzkhan
Canada
2008/02/02, 02:22 PM
Thanx a lot bb1fit greatly appriate your input. my diet is clean and with enough protein also(whey, meats, cottage cheese, eggs). Only thing I changed is the milk I used to drink 3% now from this week using 2% milk. I am following your grocery list but maybe I eat too much carbs? at least 3 meals out of 6 (Basmati Rice, whole wheat pita/bread, cereal)

I am lean other than my middle section and am always like that, I was never fat or heavy.

One thing come to mind is I drink a lot of liquid since I started the routine(more than double than pre-workout). this could be one reason since I don't use calipers only home weight/Fat scale?

and you think If I am over/under training and my splits are ok?, I try to lift as heavy as I can and try to increase weight every week or so.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/02/03, 12:04 PM
The absolute number one way to 'energize' muscle growth is to progressively lift heavier. So, if you are doing heavy workouts progressively, and resting properly, you are most probably doing everything you possibly can.

Not sure your point on the liquids, other than more liquids can actually dull your appetite as I am sure you have found numerous times if you drank a ton pre meal, you of course are not as hungry. Many 'researchers' in the past and even now purport drinking a lot of water pre meal for dieting. While this does as I mention 'blunt' the appetite, the danger is most liquids get through the system rather quickly, and thus leaves you 'starving' at this point, and you tend to snack rather heavily rather than eating the good meal at the dinner time.

A bit off subject there, but it ties in.

As far as your training regimine, it is optimal to find your 'recovdry' threshold. By that I mean the optimal time between workouts where when you do that muscle again, you are just as strong at least or able to even think about adding more weight. If you are 'pooped', or just feel lethargic or weak, on a continuous basis, not just once in a while(as workouts vary with tons of things) chances are you need more rest.

So, get in tune with your body, find what is optimal for you over the long haul.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

Jazzkhan
Jazzkhan
Canada
2008/02/03, 03:49 PM
great advice bb1fit I will follow what my body tells me. About liquid what I meant is that I use fat scale which I guess is kinda inaccurate more water in my system bigger the fat ratio it will show. So maybe its not my real fat mass?