Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Post Menopausal Weight Gain

kathyhaney
kathyhaney
United States
2005/08/19, 12:32 PM
Hey! Any ladies out there over 50? Have you run into the problem of slower metabolism? I didn't have a problem with my weight until I went through menopause and stopped smoking at the same time. Within 8 months had gained almost 60 lbs:(!!! Now finding it a whole new ballgame trying to lose this weight! Anyone have any diet or exercise program tips to jump-start slower metabolism? I am currently 55 yrs. young 5'3" an weigh 155lbs. Anyone else in this boat?

Kat
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/08/21, 11:48 AM
hey kat,
i am currently taking a course on women, menopause and fitness...

Your metabolism starts slowing down in your late 20's, early 30's..

The best way to rev up your metabolism is to get on a good weight lifting routine and do cardio every other day (walking is a great form of cardio).

Eating smaller meals and snacks during the day, so that you are taking in fuel about every 3 hours will help stimulate your metabolism.

Make sure you are eating enough protein, not too much 'bad' fat, and lots of fibrous vegetables. Also make sure that when you eat grains they are whole grains.

drinking lots of water will help, and ice water will require your body to burn more calories because it has to heat the water.

Green tea has been shown to be beneficial for metabolism, as well as being an excellent source of anti-oxidants.

i hope this all helps!

Welcome to freetrainers!

--------------

Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think.

Benjamin Disraeli

There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not help themselves. You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he be willing to climb himself.
Andrew Carnegie