Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

please help

rfield
rfield
United Kingdom
2002/05/20, 10:51 AM
im 17 and hav been weight training for about 2 years however i have not yet managed to achieve the pecs that i want, my chest routine consists of
bench press
pullovers
flyes
dumbell press
pec deck
cable crossovers
and dips
i have been doing this routine once a week for about 10 weeks and perform 4 sets starting at 12 reps and going down to 6 reps increasing the weight each set, but still have not noticed a great change. please tell me what i can do to build more muscle mass and get great pecs
jsambu
jsambu
United States
2002/05/20, 11:15 AM
how long are you resting btn sets? make sure that or rests are btn 30 and 75 sec. also try to use more of power movements, like incline presses and bench presses. flyes and cables are used more for definition. but everything else seems ok, training onnce a week, and enough sets to completely overload the muscle.
rfield
rfield
United Kingdom
2002/05/20, 11:25 AM
i rest for about a minute between sets, i guess that im just stuck in a rut at the moment, besides incline presses is there any other really good chest exercises to help me achieve good levels of size and definition

qualters
qualters
United States
2002/05/20, 11:54 AM
To gain mass the compound movements are key. Try looking over the mass programs here at ft. See if it helps you.
The chest workout i use is from the 12 week mass program I signed up for and I am noticing some real changes only after 5 weeks. I also have been working out for about 5 years.
BQ
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/20, 03:41 PM
To me it sounds like you are really overtraining. Doing all those exercises one day a week isn't enough. You need to incorporate some compound exercises like Qualters suggested, but also if you're trying to put on mass your diet is crucial. You need to eat about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of your bodyweight to grow. You also didn't list any incline or decline presses or exercises which are necessary to train all three parts of your pecs. Why don't you sign up for an ft program and select chest mass as a specialty?

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.
jsambu
jsambu
United States
2002/05/20, 05:32 PM
1.5 grams of protein per pound? cainsands thats a ton of protein, you only need that much if your doing strictly power lifting, and by the looks of his workout it doesnt look like thats hes routine. all that extra protein is just gonna turn into fat. all you need is btn 1.5 and 2.0 grams per kg. 1 kg = 2.2 pounds. i didnt know that there was three parts to the pecs? i only know of the pec major and the pec minor, whats the other one?
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/20, 06:21 PM
Freetrainers recommends 1.5 per pound for adding mass. If you look at their nutritional guide during a mass program it'll show you. And you're right, most people break down the pec workout into three groups. Not necesarily three parts. Middle, upper, and lower. Flat works middle, incline works upper, and decline works lower.

--------------
lewdog_55
lewdog_55
United States
2002/05/20, 06:36 PM
Cainsands is correct about the protein. FT says about 1.5 per pound to add mass.
jsambu
jsambu
United States
2002/05/20, 08:46 PM
do you guys follow ft like its the bible? you do know that not everything in here is correct. lets think about this one. what does the body use protein for? build and repair tissue structures of the body. i weigh 180 pds, so ft is telling me to consume 270g of protein, even though the avg 180pd person only needs 65g, if they are sedentary. there is no possible way that my body needs 200 more grams of protein to rebuild my muscle tissue. this means that all that extra protein turns to fat. im just trying to help everyone out in this forum. if you dont believe me just ask a doctor of exercie phis, he ll tell ya the same.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/05/20, 09:29 PM
This is one of those arguments that can go on forever but I have to say that I don't place a whole lot of faith in your doctors premise. Body builders have been working with nutrition and exercise this way for longer than I can remember. I don't put anything into my body that I haven't researched and most of the studies that physioligists cite are based on sedentary (average) people. FT isn't putting anything out that isn't accepted practice.
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/20, 11:16 PM
Also, do you really think that this is the only place some of us get our information? It's also really uncool to to outright challenge what someone else says. There is a polite way to correct someone and then there's causing problems. Instead of asking people about things try reading, ALOT.

--------------
jsambu
jsambu
United States
2002/05/21, 11:33 AM
i appoligize if i made anyone angry but im just trying to help you people out. i guess its all right to follow your own belief, i was just like you guys for more than five yrs. but then i started to really study how the body works and reacts to what we put into it and now i have made more improvements in just 2 months than i did in my previous years of training.
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/05/21, 12:20 PM
It's all gravy, just remember that to most people it's not what you say but how you say it. In this environment it's probably about equal. Also alot of people feel that 1.5 grams is too much. Like EVERYTHING in life, everyone has an opinion, and everyone will have different results as everyones body is different. It's good that you learned to listen to yours.

--------------