Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Plant vs animal Omega 3s

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/04/08, 03:19 PM
One of my coaches is writing a lit review article on Omega-3s; as soon as it's done, I'll post it here. In the mean time, she forwarded to me this little tidbit, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

"The plant form of omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid?is an essential fatty acid that can be converted to EPA and DHA. The conversion?is very inefficient though with estimates of only 0.2% to 6% of consumed alpha linolenic acid being converted to EPA and only approximately 63% of EPA being converted to DHA. Furthermore, increased intake of linoleic acic also decreases the conversion of alpha linolenic acid to EPA through competitive inhibition."*

*E. Clayton et al, Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2007:19:92-103

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/08, 08:26 PM
Your coach is right on. Marine sources of Omega 3's are far superior. Have made quite a few posts on it. Can't wait to hear a 'professional' opinion, love it when my positions are backed up by people held in high esteem. Sometimes no matter how much you preach, folks will not listen until someone in some 'authority' states it.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/04/08, 11:48 PM
Thanks. It looks promising, and interesting as well, so we'll see what happens.

Trust me, Ron, in this industry, you can have a ton of experience and education with letters after your name, and people will still tell you that "your research doesn't apply," that you have no idea of what you're talking about, or that you're just plain out right wrong. I know both you and I have run into that on several occasions....

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/10, 01:53 PM
Forgive my remedial questions here. I always get confused in the Omega 3 bit. I take a fish oil/omega 3 supplement every day, but used to take a flaxseed oil/omega 3 supplement. I don't remember why I switched. Am I understanding that I am better off with the fish oil supp. rather than the flaxseed? I get confused. thanks!
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2008/04/10, 04:43 PM
Yes, most indubitably! :big_smile:

============
Quoting from amyksmith76:

Forgive my remedial questions here. I always get confused in the Omega 3 bit. I take a fish oil/omega 3 supplement every day, but used to take a flaxseed oil/omega 3 supplement. I don't remember why I switched. Am I understanding that I am better off with the fish oil supp. rather than the flaxseed? I get confused. thanks!
=============

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2008/04/11, 02:24 PM
YAY! Thanks!
kimmci
kimmci
Ireland
2008/04/12, 04:50 PM
I have a question about fish oil supplements. I am allergic to some types of fish. I've tried and have had bad reactions to cod, whiting, mackerel, but not tuna. Would it be safe for me to take the supplements?