Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Pinch feeling in the shoulder

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/14, 07:34 PM
I tried to find some info on this in Fit Buddy, but nothing seemed to fit what it is I feel..

When I do some exercises, DB Kickbacks for instance, I feel a pinch feeling in the top of my shoulder, sort of where the shoulder joint is (sorry, don't know the correct term).

Also, when I'm done the exercise and I go to put the weight down, it feels quite tight in the same spot.. the pain lasts for a few seconds...

I do plan on seeing a doc (yay) soon, just kinda looking for a heads up as to what I might be in for...

I don't think it's the rotator cuff, but then again I'm not a doctor... ha...

Thanks,
t

--------------
Tim

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle

You have the power to change a life right in your own hands. - Paul Brandt
roviaro
roviaro
United States
2004/06/15, 10:40 AM
i think i have something similar to yours. its been 7 weeks now and is not completely better - though does feel much better than the originally pinch sensations i was feeling. i never got an answer to what it really was, and of course "rest" is always prescribed. i saw a PT who showed my some exercises to do - as he thinks it might be the scalene muscle in my neck (which actually can cause pain all the way down the arm in some instances!).

do you have pain when you do chest exercises too, or is this strictly shoulder related?
2004/06/15, 10:50 AM
Tim, these are exercises I did to rehab from the cuff surgery. They will strengthen the entire shoulder. They are done daily with very light weight and high reps. Hope this helps. The therapist said the exercises were the same for strengthening as well as rehab. Hope this helps.

Jayhawks, I'm rehabing from rotator cuff surgery. It wouldn't hurt to have a Dr check it out. You may just have a strain but if it is torn you need to know.

From what the therapist has told me, the strengthening and rehab exercises are about the same. All should be done with very light weights

1 Lay on your back with a towel folded under your elbow to keep it in the same plane as your shoulder. Bend forearm 90 degrees up. With about a 5 lb weight rotate the forearm out sideways and down until it touches the floor. Do 10 reps 3 sets. Build up to 30 reps 3 sets.

2 Lay on your side with forearm in same 90 degree position. Move the weight up until your fist points at the ceiling. Same weight reps and sets. Therapist said 8 or 10 lbs was the MAX ever needed for these exercises but build up to that.

3 Cable pulldowns with light weight/ high reps

4 Cable pulldown behind the head kneeling on floor.

5 Lay on floor with broom handle Straight armed lift handle up and back to floor. Hold for 10 seconds and lift back up over and down till the bar is touching your thighs.

6 Closed grip pushups. Start by doing 1/2 push ups at first and build to complele ones with time.

These exercises require very light weights high reps and good form. If you haven't torn the rotator cuff, these may help but you won't know unless its checked. If you can, consulting witha physical therapist is very helpful

Good Luck, Charlie

Good luck

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/15, 11:03 AM
Thanks Charlie!

t

--------------
Tim

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies, for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/30, 12:14 PM
Those exercises really burn the shoulder, Charlie... wow...

Anyhoo... went to the doctor today... basically said there isn't much that can be done if it's not restricting the movement, which it isn't.... he suggested if it gets worse a shot of Cortizone (I believe that's what he suggested) or Ibuprophen...

I go for acupunture... I'm gonna ask her....

t

--------------
Tim

2004/06/30, 12:21 PM
Cortizone was a wonderdrug for me. It stopped the pain before i got back to my car. It doesn't repair a tear though. MRI is the only way to be sure.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/30, 12:48 PM
Well, the only thing is the pain isn't constant... just seems to appear when I do certain exercises... although it is becoming more noticable as time goes by... I may try and get a second opinion from one who calls him/herself a doctor... :)

I may eliminate those exercises from my routine till I can figure this thing out... dammit... In the meantime, I'll use those exercises you provided...

t

--------------
Tim

dfly411
dfly411
United States
2004/06/30, 01:41 PM
No doctor here either, but I got two of the most educated massage therapists in the world on staff Tim. Usually "pinching" and "burning" sensations are associated with nerves. It is possible that you have a trigger point hidden somewhere in there. It wouldn't hurt to find a good one and see if they can give you any relief.

If you feel up to a special trip, I'll hook you up!!
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/30, 01:49 PM
Where do ya live... ? haha.... I was actually thinking abou that... we get a short 'relaxation' massage here at work (tough gig, eh) but I don't think it's long enough to solve the problem...

Now, I do have a know in my shoulder right near the shoulder blade.. could that have something to do with it?

t

--------------
Tim

dfly411
dfly411
United States
2004/06/30, 03:09 PM
More like specific enough...if you have a trigger point then you will need trigger point therapy (NOT for the faint or tender bodied)

Yes...even if it is not right on top of your shoulder, pain in the muscles can transfer...I have a trigger point in my right trap that causes me pain all the way down on my arm.

You really should investigate a good therapist in your area, make sure they do deep tissue and/or trigger point and have a go at it, you might be surprised how much good it will do!
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/06/30, 03:14 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out.... soon...

t

--------------
Tim

yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2004/07/09, 06:39 PM
The pain got worse, for one reason or another... my wife gave me a back rub and that didn't seem to help.. in fact, more or less agravatted it more...

I had an acupunture appointment yesterday afternoon, told her about the pain... said it was from and area near the spine... had me turn my head, raise my arms and then put some needles in the apporpriate places and now the pain is 90 percent gone!

What a wonderful feeling! Still gonna look for that massage though!

t

--------------
Tim