Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

overwhelmed

CHRISSYTIM
CHRISSYTIM
United States
2008/11/11, 08:25 PM
I am afraid if I don't have a specific time-frame for results, I will give up. I know nothing is exact, but with a change in diet, cardio and weight training, is it like 2 months, 6 months? And if I'm starting from scratch, how much training of each kind should I be doing? Also, is it a good idea to plan out a meal plan in advance or on a daily basis?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/11/12, 08:31 AM
Women tend to take a little longer to see results. This will vary depending on how much fat you have to lose, how good your diet is, genetics,age, metabolic state, as you can imagine a lot of factors come into play. 8 weeks is usually a reasonable timeframe as far as when you will notice changes in your physique. BUT could be longer...hard to tell. sorry.

One to two punds a wek is a reasonable weight loss goal. As long as you are realistic about goal weight and physique possibilities. Some of us will never look like a brazilian supermodel, no matter how much weight we lose, so that is not a realistic goal. Your goals need to be based on your body and your life needs.

As a total beginner - you can do a light total body workout 2-3 times a week and begin doing 15-20 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week, preferably on alternate days but not necessarily. in about 5 weeks you can bump up the intensity pf your resistance training by adding the 3rd session or by splitting it into upper and lower body routines, 4 days a week. the cardio you can add either time or aditional sessions. when you add time, add a minute or two a week. when you ad sessions, add one session every few weeks. easing into all of this will help you feel les stressed and prevent overuse injuries down the line. you want your body to gradually build up a foundation of fitness.

Planning your mealsin advance can be very helpful - if you know what you are going to eat and have your meals all packed you are less likely to hit the vending machine or drive thru. Sit down one day a wek and plan meals, tyen cook in volume and package up your meals. this is a big factor in successful dieting.

good luck and keep breathing :)

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield