Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Overtraining.

dchinnici
dchinnici
United States
2002/03/28, 07:33 PM
So, I go to the gym and absolutely am obsessed with working out, eating well, the whole nine yards... Here is the thing though. How many exercises are too many. I try not to overtrain but want to make sure that what I think is overtraining is actually overtraining. (who knows if that made any sense.) Anyway, for example, today I did Tris. They are one body part that I absolutely love. So , I did about 4 exercises of about 3 sets of 10,10,8 reps. Is four exercises too many? Is there any way to tell when you are overtraining and the workout is actually hindering your performance. I try to only work out one part of a body once a week to let it fully heal. ALso, what about bigger muscle groups like the chest and back where you could do four exercises that work out toally different parts.... This is way to long, but maybe we can get some responses and have a dialog...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/03/29, 12:13 AM
Do you currently follow an ft program? Most of ft's program are fairly progressive and target 1 or 2 muscle groups per day, depending on the number of days you can train.

One sure sign of overtraining is fatigue and the inability to work on additional exercises the next day or two. Are you experiencing this now?

Anyway, my general rule (something I learned from Ian King) is to keep your total number of sets between 12-15 per day. Also, your workouts should generally last about an hour (give or take, and not accounting for warm ups like stretching). One last thing to remember is to listen to your body.

Hope this helps...

--------------
**_Robert_**
dchinnici
dchinnici
United States
2002/03/29, 01:47 AM
I have not had a problem yet about triaining the next day or two. I just have a hard time knowing when to stop. I love working out so much I can work and work and work, and then I am done, I get changed and leave and all i want t odo is do more. I am a little fatigued by the end of the day, but I love it so much I just want to keep going. You know waht i mean? Once that blood starts to flow it is like a release and makes me feel amazing. I dont think i am overtraining right now, but for the most part, three sets just dont cut it for me. I just love the exercises too much. I am on an ft program and they are great. But when I am done a workout I just miss certain exercises so much that I still wantto do them. I don't skimp on the ft programs workouts, they are REAL tough, esp. with 16-20 reps, but I still want to do some of the others... i dont know, i am rambling, i tend to do that... i will stop now! :)
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/03/29, 01:51 AM
For fast recovering one needs the right rest, diet and supplements. It also depends on what type of exercise you have been doing -working fast, slow, heavy, excentric, plyometric etc etc.....

As Rob says, try listen to your body. It's the very best way to know if you are over training or not. If you feel tired and too many sore muscles and take another rest day.

It's different the number of sets every individual does. I sometimes do a little more if I feel great and also a little less if I'm feeling tired.
That's how it should be, and that's how you'll get results.

Good luck.

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
yakuza005uk
yakuza005uk
United Kingdom
2002/04/20, 10:25 AM
well hope i can be of help, but i tend to train in the morning concentrating on 1 or 2 body parts, for example one day i do the chest, doing the chest my triceps also get a good workout so i stick to the triceps as a second body part to train. Well i do about 6-7 sets of each body part then again at night to stretch and warm down the muscles i do about 3-4 sets of the same two muscle parts but this time using slightly lighter weights but more reps. This definatly helps cut me up at the same time it probly works my muscles out more and makes them more relaxing and loose.

hope that cud b of any help for ya
fireloard
fireloard
United States
2002/04/20, 10:43 AM
I would guess that working the same body part twice in one day is overtraining a bit.. maybe your first workout (in the morning) wasn't as intense as it could be.. but then again I remember on another forum someone said they did this and someone eventually said if that works for you then go for it.. so I guess try it for a while and see if it works...
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/20, 11:00 AM
Dchinicci, I think we all know what you mean about not being able to stop! Once you get that "pump," you've gotta feel that way for a long time!

Just be careful of overtraining, though...it's very easy to do.

--------------
**_Robert_**