Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Out of Control Too??

puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/08/11, 03:16 PM
I just seemed to notice by using FT's nutrition tracker that I have a bad habit (???) of compulsive overeating... I think, one day I'll eat like 1400 to 1800 calories, but then my body will tell me that it needs more or something else, I seem to crave fat and sugar, {even if i get "enough" healthy fats} so yeasterday I found out I ate 3200 calories !YIKES! :( How do I get my body "adjusted" to a bodybuilding diet when my craving and hunger are so strong? If I eat until I'm satisfied ~and not chewing paint off the walls~ its around 2200 calories... but then I maintain or gain, even with tons of exercise, I don't know what to do, maybe pills or something to keep the hunger/cravings away?? Do other people's bodies have such a hard time adjusting or am I just doing something wrong? please post suggestions and/or insight... Thank you...
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/08/11, 05:07 PM
1. Determine how many calories you need to achieve your goals
2. Begin eating 5-6 smaller meals a day - this will keep you feeling satisfied
3. For the severe cravings, find a good healthy alternative - I personally like appples with peanutbutter

Hope that helps!

--------------
There is no substitute for hard work
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/08/11, 05:53 PM
mmmm, apples with peanutbutter! i have this stuff called power butter that has flax oil as well as flax seed and it is amazing. it definitely kills my cravings, plus it has 9.5g of efa's per serving, so it's good fat.

i definitely get the sugar cravings, especially because there's a man that sits 2 desks away from me who always has chocolate out in a jar marked "prozac." you have no idea how hard it is to stay away from that thing. sometimes i'll have a dark chocolate kiss - it is, afterall, an antioxidant. but i digress.

if it's late at night and i'm not about to take zma, i'll have some cottage cheese, strawberries, and walnuts. that's another good, slow-digesting food that will burn through the night. otherwise i'll stick with apples and natural peanutbutter or a bowl of special k. it can be hard to stick with this lifestyle, but there are a ton of healthy choices to help you along. good luck!

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/08/11, 06:03 PM
Kat~ the nutrirtion on here says I should be eating only 28 grams of fat per day... is that right?? Thats like 1/2 cup of nuts and thats it for all day!!! LoL, also I would like to know more about ZMA i've heard good things about it... should I be on it???
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/08/11, 06:30 PM
the fats in nuts are essential fatty acids, so you can actually have these and not worry about it too much. i don't even count efas in my daily fat intake most of the time. the fat that i do count comes mostly from lean meat, tri-o-plex bars, and the occasional spot of honey mustard dressing.

the nutrition counter on the site says i need roughly 30g of fat per day to lose weight. i usually take in more fat that that, but it comes from things like flax oil, olive oil, walnuts, almonds and things that are high in omega-3, -6, and -9 fats. i know i'm not eating too much because i've dropped 15 points from my bf% in the past 3 months. i can't argue with those results.

now, zma is a recovery supplement that's taken at night and aids tissue repair while boosting testosterone levels. it also increases the quality of sleep dramatically. if you are doing a lot of resistance training i would recommend taking it before sleep on the days that you lift. it's a great little supplement!

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/08/12, 02:12 PM
Thanks Kat!!! :big_smile: I am the same when it comes to my fats, the only saturated I get is from the meat in my diet, and cheese (and a small bit from lowfat salad dressings and other little bits). So you don't worry much about the fats- just saturated? You work more on the right grams of good quality protein, and complex carbs... am I right? :big_smile: So where do you get your ZMA? It sounds like a good product I might want to try... its ok for women right?? :dumbbell:
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/08/12, 06:29 PM
You can buy ZMA as one pill, I personally buy the Magnesium, B-6, and Zinc by themselves - it is much cheaper that way.
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/08/12, 06:55 PM
you've pretty much got my diet nailed. it's all about the quality of what i put in my body. getting it in the correct amounts/proportions comes naturally now.

i personally don't buy the individual supplements because the time it takes to make sure you're getting the correct amounts that will react at the correct times is not worth the money you save. zma is fine for women to take, we actually just take a lower dose than the men. i take 2 zma at night on workout days, but a man would take 3. this is another reason i don't take "homemade" zma. i don't want to screw myself up. i buy a bottle of 90 caps for $17 bucks and it lasts me 4 months or so. not too bad.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/08/13, 02:02 PM
Cool, thank you for the info! You said the correct proportions you have come naturally now... can you tell me approx. how many grams of each you are eating?? I'm still having trouble trying to get the right proportions and still maintain my calorie defecit... ps. also how much calories & cardio are you at right now??? :big_smile:
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/08/14, 12:09 AM
right now i know i'm getting roughly 170g of protein, but that's the only thing i usually monitor. i eat carbs but i don't count them, and as far as fat goes, i get my efas and outside of those i probably get around 30g per day. supposedly, my macronutrient breakdown should be 60% cho, 20% pro, and 20% fat. i don't really abide by that, but what i'm doing works.

as far as calories go, my calories to lose are between 2,350 and 2,550. my maintenence calories are 3,000. for cardio i never do more than 25 minutes at a time and i keep my heart rate between 140 and 165 the entire session. i usually go for the elliptical, the bike, or the rowing machine because the impact of running does not agree with my knees. i do h.i.i.t once a week, twice at the most. it's a good way to keep your heart rate in the target zone while still hitting a good intensity.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.