Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 102, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Omega-3 info...

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/03/01, 04:12 PM
I came across this article this morning. No, this is not the cure-all, get-huge breakthrough everyone wants; I don't believe an truthful article like that will ever be published.
----

Avoiding This Fat Will Stop Peak Muscle Building.
By Dr. Mitchell Fleisher, M.D. - 3/1/06

All your life you’ve been told to stay away from fats. We learn it from doctors. We see it on television. We read it in the federal government guidelines. We’re bombarded with so many negative images, it’s made us "fat-phobic".

But contrary to popular opinion, there are rumblings from some researchers who have discovered that there is one fat that may actually help your health…it’s called Omega-3. But since most bodybuilders are more health-conscious then the general population, they’re already aware of its benefits. By necessity, in their quest for the perfect body, they must be on the cutting edge of scientific research.

They know that Omega-3 is more then just good for health, it’s critical for good health. In fact, we simply can’t live without it. And since the body does not produce sufficient amounts on its own, it must be consumed as part of our diet.

Today, Omega-3 is considered by many bodybuilders as one of the "must-have" supplements in their training regimen. Clinical studies show that Omega-3 is involved in the proper functioning of every cell, tissue and organ in the human body. It naturally supports joint health, cardiovascular health, muscle growth, vitality and mental state. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are converted by the body to Prostaglandins, a hormone like substance which regulates steroid production and hormone synthesis; water retention; inflammation pain; insulin sensitivity… everything from protecting the arterial wall to supporting mens' sexual health.

It’s understandable, that the need for Omega-3 also increases with the stress of a heavy training schedule or competition. So if bodybuilders want to lose subcutaneous fat, Omega-3 can support them in achieving the desired result… with muscles that look shredded!

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/03/01, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the info, I had no idea that Omega-3 is involved in so many functions. Knowing this helps to remember to take the supplement and eat lots of fish.....:)

--------------
\"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them.\" -LOTR Trilogy
jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/03/01, 07:13 PM
I take a mega EFA fish oil every single morning. It really is a great thing to take
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/03/01, 08:59 PM
And the latest on the benefits of Omega 3's...

In various studies, they've been shown time and again to support optimum heart health, enhance brain function, slow dementia, and even help unruly children to be better behaved (sparing some from being hooked on Ritalin, I can only hope). In my opinion, Omega-3s from dietary fish, grass-fed red meats, and nuts are as close to a natural "cure-all" as anything on Earth...

And now, some Japanese research reveals yet another common affliction that Omega-3s helps to combat: COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). COPD is the 5th leading cause of death on Earth. It causes inflammation of airways in the lung, excessive mucous production, and obstructive fibrosis. There is no cure. But now, it seems, there's at least some hope.

The 2-year study, published in a recent issue of the Chest medical journal, divided COPD sufferers into 2 groups. One group was fed a diet rich in Omega-3s polyunsaturated fatty acids, the other a "normal" diet (what defined normal I could not deduce from the study's summary)...

At the 15-month point, the prevalence of pulmonary inflammation markers were significantly lower among the Omega-3 group than in the "control" group that ate normally. Also, shortness of breath and capacity for exercise also showed marked improvement among the Omega-3 eaters.

The study didn't pinpoint exactly WHY these positive effects manifested themselves in the Omega-3 group, but theories posited by the study's authors propose a variety of reasons - from enhancing gene _expression and cellular "signaling" to the repression of inflammation-causing cytokines.

Whatever the actual, biological reasons are behind Omega-3s positive effects on COPD, this study is just another feather in the cap of one of my favorite "cure-all" nutrients. And it isn't the first time Omega-3s have been shown to help the lungs - previous research from the University of Indiana showed that Omega-3 supplementation helped reduce symptoms of asthma and other forms of bronchial constriction.

--------------
Strength and Honor!