Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Newbie's Competion Diet

Tofurky
Tofurky
United States
2004/04/19, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone! Though this is my first post, I've been lurking for a while and I feel as if I know you all!

Like many people here, I'm hoping to get a little help with my diet and training. My goal is to develop more defined abs and do a figure competion in the fall.

I'm 5 feet 4 inches tall and 100 pounds. The pictures in my profile should be helpful, but they are several months old (I was about 105 pounds in them but went down to 97 pounds from doing a ton of cardio). My bodyfat is approximately 8% (the trainer at my gym could not get an accurate percentage because his chart for women did not go below 9%, so he guessed somewhere between 6-8%, but I weighed 97 pounds then and I've been eating more and gaining weight, so it's probably at least 8% now).

I currently eat a pretty clean diet of 1500-2000 calories (I think) and 100 to 150g of protein per day (I'm pretty sure). I have no idea what my carbs and fats intake are, but I try to limit them as much as possible since my goal is to be cut and defined. However I do sometimes giving in to junk food like bread and desserts at restaurants, cookies or chocolate at parties, and various free samples in the mall (pathetic, I know). With that said, I've included a sample menu of what I usually/try to eat, below.

As for my training, I workout everyday, twice Monday through Friday and once on Saturday and Sunday. I take a day off only when something comes up and even then, I at least try to do some abs or go for a walk. I've included my current 5 day split routine below my meal plan.

Here is a sample of my current daily diet (it does vary with what I have in the fridge, how hungry I am that day, whether or not I go out to eat, get a craving, etc.):

5:00am (pre-workout): 1 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein (90 calories, 23g protein) with 3g Prolab Creatine and 5g Beverly International Glutamine Select PLUS 1 Prolab Caffeine Tablet AND 1 Beverly International Lean Out

5:30am-7:30am: WEIGHT TRAINING (see below for 5 day split)

7:30am (post-workout) - 1 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein w/3g Prolab Creatine and 5g Glutamine Select

9:00am - 6 egg whites with 2oz salmon lox or just mixed with 1 tablespoon of salsa

11:30am - 1/2 cup oatmeal with fruit and flax seeds OR 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese with strawberries OR 8oz strawberries with 1/2 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein powder sprinkled on top

2:00pm - 6oz Albacore Tuna Fish on top of 1 cup of mesclun lettuce w/a little balsamic vinegar or just mixed with 1 tablespoon of salsa

4:30pm - 8oz strawberries with 1/2 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein powder sprinkled on top OR another can of tuna fish with salsa OR 2 cups of veggies like baby carrots, mushrooms or broccoli OR 1 cup of edamame (soy beans)

5:30pm-6:30pm: ABS and/or LIGHT CARDIO (jogging)

7:00pm - a large mesclun salad with 1 mango, bean sprouts, tomatoes, a few walnuts, and 6oz shrimp, fish, or chicken. I use basalmic vinegar or apple cider vinegar or low-sodium soy sauce as dressing.

9:30pm - 1.5 scoops SciTec Whey Best protein shake (120 calories, 30g protein) with 3 frozen strawberries OR protein bar (Protein Crunch by Permalean) if I feel like "cheating" (170 calories, 22g protein). This is the meal that I sometime get out of control with and decide I really want a handful of peanuts or a banana with almond butter or turkey jerky or 6 pickles, or all of the above... so sometimes I just skip it to avoid the late night binge attack!

10:30pm - take my ZMA and pray I don't eat

11:00pm - Bedtime

Additional Supplements:
Source of Life Multi Vitamin and Mineral
Ultimate Nutrition CLA 1000mg, 2 softgels
NOW Omega 3-6-9 1000mg, 2 softgels
NOW St. John's Wort 300mg, 2 capsules
Twinlab Amino Fuel 1000, 2 tablets with every meal
Ultra 40, 2 tablets with every meal
Cytodyne ZMA before bedtime
1-2 gallons of water

Workout Schedule:
Monday - Hamstrings/Quads
Tuesday - Chest/Calves
Wedenesday - Back/Forearms
Thursday - Shoulders/Calves
Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Saturday - Abs and 30 minutes HIIT Cardio
Sunday - Abs and 30 minutes HIIT Cardio
If I have enough energy, I go back to the gym after work Monday through Friday to do abdominal crunches and/or light cardio like jogging.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! :)
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/04/19, 04:35 PM
Sounds to me like you have it all figured out. I wish I could be as dedicated as you sound. I have trouble keeping my diet that clean. Good luck!

--------------
My gym dues are not paid with money.
Tofurky
Tofurky
United States
2004/04/19, 04:45 PM
I actually just scarfed down 2 rice cakes with apple butter and 1 with almond butter - so I'm not really that good sometimes!! :(
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/19, 09:33 PM
I love your name, tofurkey!
Your diet looks really good, you could clean up some of the fruit in the later part of the day to be more effective. Since you are familiar with beverly Int'l. check out their free profile and diet, it is according to your goals and body comp and they will keep fine tuning it right up to your competition.

I would guess you are tending to crave at night because you are not getting enough calories earlier in the day, but i want to sit back and see what bbfit1 has to say, he has more experience competing than i do.

At least your cheats tend to be healthy cheats!

Welcome to Ft, I am going to go check out your profile now.:)

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
Tofurky
Tofurky
United States
2004/04/20, 09:44 AM
Is fruit really not a clean food? I thought at least strawberries were. Maybe I can switch to oranges or apples or grapefruit?? Man, that's such a shame, because I really love fruit and would love to keep them in my diet. I am also kind of afraid taking them out may lead to REALLY unclean sweet cravings. Though maybe they actually *give me* sweet cravings because of the fructose... hmmm...
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/20, 03:26 PM
Fruit like berries, grapefruit, apples are good foods, but keep them earlier in the day so that you have a chance to burn off the sugar content.

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/20, 08:48 PM
Your diet is great, a couple changes could well keep the late night hungries down and any chance of binging, plus help keep you in an anabolic state. I would switch my ZMA to 9:30, this way you are taking it on an empty stomach for the most part. 2-2 1/2 hrs. will pretty much constitute an empty stomach. Then at 10:30, have your last meal..pre bed. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, good slow digesting protein, even have your peanuts(fats will help slow digestion, just don't overdo it), though a tbsp. of flax oil would be better, or you could have some flax seed on top of the cottage cheese, good fiber. Or if you prefer a leafy green salad with an oil based dressing(olive oil is fine) with the cottage cheese. You will go to bed with a full stomach, have the ZMA in you at the right time, and nutrients to help through the catabolic nightime state and at the right time for GH release.

============
Quoting from tofurky:

Hello everyone! Though this is my first post, I've been lurking for a while and I feel as if I know you all!

Like many people here, I'm hoping to get a little help with my diet and training. My goal is to develop more defined abs and do a figure competion in the fall.

I'm 5 feet 4 inches tall and 100 pounds. The pictures in my profile should be helpful, but they are several months old (I was about 105 pounds in them but went down to 97 pounds from doing a ton of cardio). My bodyfat is approximately 8% (the trainer at my gym could not get an accurate percentage because his chart for women did not go below 9%, so he guessed somewhere between 6-8%, but I weighed 97 pounds then and I've been eating more and gaining weight, so it's probably at least 8% now).

I currently eat a pretty clean diet of 1500-2000 calories (I think) and 100 to 150g of protein per day (I'm pretty sure). I have no idea what my carbs and fats intake are, but I try to limit them as much as possible since my goal is to be cut and defined. However I do sometimes giving in to junk food like bread and desserts at restaurants, cookies or chocolate at parties, and various free samples in the mall (pathetic, I know). With that said, I've included a sample menu of what I usually/try to eat, below.

As for my training, I workout everyday, twice Monday through Friday and once on Saturday and Sunday. I take a day off only when something comes up and even then, I at least try to do some abs or go for a walk. I've included my current 5 day split routine below my meal plan.

Here is a sample of my current daily diet (it does vary with what I have in the fridge, how hungry I am that day, whether or not I go out to eat, get a craving, etc.):

5:00am (pre-workout): 1 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein (90 calories, 23g protein) with 3g Prolab Creatine and 5g Beverly International Glutamine Select PLUS 1 Prolab Caffeine Tablet AND 1 Beverly International Lean Out

5:30am-7:30am: WEIGHT TRAINING (see below for 5 day split)

7:30am (post-workout) - 1 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein w/3g Prolab Creatine and 5g Glutamine Select

9:00am - 6 egg whites with 2oz salmon lox or just mixed with 1 tablespoon of salsa

11:30am - 1/2 cup oatmeal with fruit and flax seeds OR 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese with strawberries OR 8oz strawberries with 1/2 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein powder sprinkled on top

2:00pm - 6oz Albacore Tuna Fish on top of 1 cup of mesclun lettuce w/a little balsamic vinegar or just mixed with 1 tablespoon of salsa

4:30pm - 8oz strawberries with 1/2 scoop Syntrax Nectar whey protein powder sprinkled on top OR another can of tuna fish with salsa OR 2 cups of veggies like baby carrots, mushrooms or broccoli OR 1 cup of edamame (soy beans)

5:30pm-6:30pm: ABS and/or LIGHT CARDIO (jogging)

7:00pm - a large mesclun salad with 1 mango, bean sprouts, tomatoes, a few walnuts, and 6oz shrimp, fish, or chicken. I use basalmic vinegar or apple cider vinegar or low-sodium soy sauce as dressing.

9:30pm - 1.5 scoops SciTec Whey Best protein shake (120 calories, 30g protein) with 3 frozen strawberries OR protein bar (Protein Crunch by Permalean) if I feel like "cheating" (170 calories, 22g protein). This is the meal that I sometime get out of control with and decide I really want a handful of peanuts or a banana with almond butter or turkey jerky or 6 pickles, or all of the above... so sometimes I just skip it to avoid the late night binge attack!

10:30pm - take my ZMA and pray I don't eat

11:00pm - Bedtime

Additional Supplements:
Source of Life Multi Vitamin and Mineral
Ultimate Nutrition CLA 1000mg, 2 softgels
NOW Omega 3-6-9 1000mg, 2 softgels
NOW St. John's Wort 300mg, 2 capsules
Twinlab Amino Fuel 1000, 2 tablets with every meal
Ultra 40, 2 tablets with every meal
Cytodyne ZMA before bedtime
1-2 gallons of water

Workout Schedule:
Monday - Hamstrings/Quads
Tuesday - Chest/Calves
Wedenesday - Back/Forearms
Thursday - Shoulders/Calves
Friday - Biceps/Triceps
Saturday - Abs and 30 minutes HIIT Cardio
Sunday - Abs and 30 minutes HIIT Cardio
If I have enough energy, I go back to the gym after work Monday through Friday to do abdominal crunches and/or light cardio like jogging.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! :)
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
fitinboise
fitinboise
United States
2004/04/30, 06:48 PM
Your pics look GREAT tofurkey!

Well balanced diet too. Good luck!:)