Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

Newbie Question on Glutamine

tylerjb1
tylerjb1
United States
2002/04/26, 12:15 PM
I recently purchased a 90 capsule bottle of the GNC brand of L-Glutamine. The directions say to take 1 capsule 3 times daily. Well, each capsule only has 600mg, which means by the end of the day, I'm only taking 1.8g of l-g. When I look at other brands or learn about how much other people are taking, I see doses as high as 20grams a day. Now, I'm quite positive that 20grams is a little excessive, but it seems to me that 1.8 just isn't going to cut it. Any recommendations? Why would GNC's brand recommend such a small dosage? I'm mainly taking it for its anti-catabolic effects, and if 1.8 is enough for that, then so be it.

Please help ;) .

Thanks
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2002/04/26, 02:06 PM
1.8g sounds REALLY small. i used to take 5g servings several times throughout the day. 20g is not excessive if you r doing heavy training, and this needs to b in addition to what u already get in ur diet. its the most abundant amino in the body, and also one of the most used (anti-catabolic, cortisol suppresant, immune system builder, etc, etc.). at the same time, its not one that the body can readliy hang on to. this is why it's so important to supplement with glutamine when ur busting ur butt in the gym; and any excess taken in will just be passed in the urine. i would suggest a powder form of glutamine from a reliable company: it tends to be a little cheaper, and is more versatile with your diet.

hope that helps.......

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/04/26, 11:09 PM
I take it in powder form...5 grams in the morn after training and before bed. If I remember I add to my mid day protein drink. Up to 20 grams if training heavy is okay.

--------------
Persistence and failure never stay in the same room......Leslie
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/04/26, 11:21 PM
Unless there is some sort of incredible delivery system in your glutamine, 1.8 grams a day is ridiculous. You should totally disregard the serving size and take 8-9 capsules on an empty stomach before you workout (glutamine uptake is greatest on an empty stomach - has something to do with enzymes) and 8-9 capsules before bed. When you finish the bottle, go get some Labrada glutamine powder. Its the finest powder you'll ever see and it dissolves very well. Of course, glutamine from any reputable company (like EAS, MetRx, etc) should be fine.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
RomeoLives
RomeoLives
Belgium
2002/04/29, 05:15 PM
Strange nobody makes the remark that Glutamine in pills are a rip-off. It's just a way to boost up the price, you better buy the powder and take a teaspoon of it just after your training, best with an orange juice.