Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Newbie in mass building program

qseep
qseep
United States
2002/04/19, 01:28 AM
Less than a week ago I weighed 159 lbs. at 12% fat. I started the 8-week muscle mass program, targeted toward building my chest. I have been following the exercise and diet to the letter.

Already I am at 165 lbs. and 14% fat, which suggests I have put on twice as much fat as muscle! I know you're not supposed to be afraid of putting on a little fat with this diet, but I already feel like a bloated pig. Will the fat gains taper off? Perhaps I should keep up some cardio, despite the recommendations, or cut back on the carbs a bit? I know it's early, but this is already freaking me out.

This follows 9 weeks of Body for Life during which I went from about 167 lbs., 14% fat, down to 155 lbs., 11% fat and back up a bit to 159 lbs., 12% fat. Now in one week I seem to have blown it all away.

It appears that I can either lose fat and muscle or gain both.

There was one question in the settings for Nutrition Program which confused me. It asks whether you can easily lose weight. I said yes, since I don't seem to have trouble losing weight. But after I chose the setting, it turned into "don't have trouble losing *fat*", which is not the same thing. I suppose I don't have trouble losing fat, but I do have trouble doing so without also losing muscle.

Help here? Thanks.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/19, 01:53 AM
Easily or trouble losing weight, is just a way to know if you got a fast metabolism or not.

You eat a lot of carbs?!! Okey, try to cut down your carbs just for about two days and then jump on the scale again..... Voila the weight is off again. Why? Because of all the water the high carb intake make you retein. If you take creatine as well, well then it's another reason why you might feel bloated.

Don't worry you cannot "blow away" results that fast.
How do you read your body fat %? What about in front of the mirror or when getting dressed, feeling any bigger?

--------------
- Nina :o) La vie est toujours aussi belle.....
qseep
qseep
United States
2002/04/19, 08:01 PM
I measure my weight and body fat % on a Tanita scale, first thing in the morning. This morning it read 164 lbs. and 13% fat, so that definitely sounds better. I guess you have to take the average over several days or a week to really get an accurate reading.

I have noticed in the past that if I weigh myself, then drink two cups of water and weigh myself again, it may show a higher fat percentage (as well as one pound more of weight), so I'm not sure what that means.

I do feel a little bigger, but my pants fit the same, so maybe I'm just imagining things.

As for creatine, I have been using the serum, just before workouts. It seems to be the consensus here that it's useless. You may be right.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/19, 11:18 PM
I always wondered about the accuracy of those combo scales that measure both weight and bodyfat. Guess I'll stick to my calipers for measuring bodyfat.

As far as creatine, you'll pay a lot less and gain more if you look for the Creapure stamp (signifies creatine purity). Prolab and Universal Nutrition are 2 companies that have this stamp.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/20, 02:09 AM
Yep, don't count on those scales...... I got one too and it changes every single day.

--------------
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/04/20, 07:33 AM
I have a Tanita scale with two modes..sedentary adult OR athletic (for adults involved in intense aerobic exercise programs 10 or more hours per week), and who have a resting heart rate of less than 60 bpm, excluding athletes and professional bodybuilders. Not calibrated for those weight training.
Body composition is calculated mathematically, based upon the speed at which the electrical signal passes through the body. This is also effected by the hydration of the body. The electrical current passes more easily through lean muscle than fat. These are the RULES
DON'T USE FOR SEVERAL HRS AFTER TRAINING, CARDIO, EATING, DRINKING, TANNING OR BATHING. YOU MUST BE WELL HYDRATED TOO. SHOULD BE THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY, LATE AFTERNOON EVENING BEING THE BEST.
By the way. When I last competed at 8 % bodyfat the Tanita told me I was at 14%. Today I am at about 14% and they say 18%. The normal adult mode has me at 24%! Don't count on they. Have a caliper reading !

--------------
Persistence and failure never stay in the same room......Leslie
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/04/20, 08:36 AM
Never thought about the water....... I mean being well hydrated and the electrical signal passes faster through the body.....
I always weight myself the first thing in the morning. Maybe I should take a big glass of water and then I'll loose 2% of body fat?!!! (o:

Great thing!!

--------------
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/20, 11:09 AM
Well, not being a physics major like Michael, but that makes good sense as water conducts electricity. LOL...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Boddhisattvha
Boddhisattvha
United States
2002/04/22, 01:35 PM
You learn something new every day...

--------------
And my soul must be iron, because my fear is naked. I'm naked and fearless.