Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Need help with stretching exercises.

HeroAtHeart
HeroAtHeart
United States
2010/04/01, 10:34 PM
Regardless of whether or not I go to the gym. I would like to start stretching a couple of times a day, but I need advice. I just want to do simple stretches and nothing that will take more than 10 minutes each time I stretch.

Can anyone recommend a good website with pictures? Just simple stretches that I can do for a few minutes no more than twice a day.

Also, if I do go to the gym, I have read conflicting things about when to do my stretches. Some people say stretch before your workout, some people say it's best to stretch after a workout, as stretching before can actually increase the risk of injury. So what's the real deal with when to stretch?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Mike
country_gurl19
country_gurl19
Canada
2010/04/10, 10:15 PM
hey mike, your muscles need to be stretched before a workout , if you dont you are more prone to injury's and sore muscles even more if you dont..Also it is ideal that after you only work out for 30 mins at at time, then stretch 2-3 mins, after a 5 min wait. also drink plenty of water before you go so you muscles will have oxygen .. and as for stretching ...yoga for begginers... buuy a dvd... and do it for 10 mins before you decide to workout, i know most men think yoga is girly, but you would be very suprised at how many men do yoga, i do it in a class of 13 and 7 of them are men...also the best time to stretch is before you even get out of bed, when you wake up stretch and squeeze your muscles, and if you have enough will power, take a quick 10 min walk, that will actually give you alot more energy during the day. good luck with your stretching and workouts :) hope i have help you :) sincerely megan

--------------
~xoxo~MEGAN~oxox~
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/04/11, 10:41 AM
I have read conflicting times of when to stretch, but they have most have boiled down to this: do not stretch cold muscles. You need to be warmed up first. Stretch following the warm up, during the exercises or following the workout.

I stretch and use a foam roller for about 15 minutes following my workout.

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

Fat loss isn?t under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. - Alwyn Cosgrove
country_gurl19
country_gurl19
Canada
2010/04/12, 08:38 AM
yes you should never stretch a cold muscle.. and usually when your cold, your body wont want to stretch or workout.. yoga warms you up and is a great exercise,

--------------
~xoxo~MEGAN~oxox~
bourbenz
bourbenz
United States
2010/05/11, 06:03 PM
I stretch in stages, I will loosen my back and neck up lightly stretch my knees and ankles before a warm up then I do deep stretches to really open the muscles, then workout and another deep stretch to keep them from locking up on me.seems to work for me each stretch stage you get deeper in the stretch but dont over do it trying to just stretch once.
Anastasiya
Anastasiya
United States
2010/05/17, 05:38 AM
Is it okay to do 30 minute cardio then stretch and afterwards do the weight training?
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2010/05/17, 08:17 AM
yup