Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

need help

ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/02, 02:59 PM
I have been following the Fit for Life for the past month.
I am 54 weigh 163lbs. I track calories eaten daily and plug it in on a web site called FitDay it calculates fats carbs and proteins as well as the nutrients you are getting. For the past month my protein intake averages 25% fat 25%and carbs 50%. I am staying away from low glycemic carbs and only eating very small quanitites of brown rice oatmeal etc. The bulk of my carbs come from fruit and veg.

My worklout rountine is between 30-40 minutes of aerobic exercise 6 days/ week rotating on treadmill grade 15 speed 4.1 or the ski machine level 6 or rowing machine.

At least 3 times per week I include 20 minutes of interval training in the workout taking my heart rate to 90%and then back down to 60-70% and then back up.

I am doing weight on machines three to four times a week and this week have tryed to up the weight I am using. I drink at least 4 litres of water daily.

My caloric intake for the month averaged out to 1400/day and I have been focusing on the deficit as much as I can.

My calculations suggest that intake with my exercise allows me 2000 calories/day. But alas I have only lost 2lbs.

I find it hard to get through the day on any less calories except for the weekends when I get up later. But I seriously think I should be dropping down to 1200.

Does anyone have some suggestionsthis is very demotivating.

----------------------------
That that doesn't kill you makes you stronger
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/04/02, 03:03 PM
First I would up the protein, lower the cardio and up the weights. Eat more smaller meals through out the day, what you have is a slower metabolism and cutting cals just make sit slower. But eating more protein, cutting the cardio down to like 3-4 days, and increasing the weight training you will build muscle and therefore start to burn fat and that will do 2 things. First is that your shape will change. Fat takes like 2x the room of muscle, muscle weighs more than fat. So you will loose size but may indeed gain weight. Stop using the scale use a tape measure. If you arms waist etc loose inches but you still have the same weight or gain some then you are doing it right. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/03, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any tips on how to up the protein without significantly increaseing the calories?

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

First I would up the protein, lower the cardio and up the weights. Eat more smaller meals through out the day, what you have is a slower metabolism and cutting cals just make sit slower. But eating more protein, cutting the cardio down to like 3-4 days, and increasing the weight training you will build muscle and therefore start to burn fat and that will do 2 things. First is that your shape will change. Fat takes like 2x the room of muscle, muscle weighs more than fat. So you will loose size but may indeed gain weight. Stop using the scale use a tape measure. If you arms waist etc loose inches but you still have the same weight or gain some then you are doing it right. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

=============
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2003/04/03, 03:31 PM
Well the thing is this when you lift weights and do cardio you burn cals off....this you know. As you increase muscle mass you start to burn cals just sitting at rest. Now this is not a license to eat what ever you want, but it does help. What I would do is this, cut some of the carbs out and transferr those cals to protein. You need .5-1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight, you say you weigh 163 so you need at least 80-163 grams. Tke the high end 163, if you divide that over 6 small meals that is like 27g per meal....one can of tuna, one chicken breast has easily that much. I am not the best person here for diet tips but you can figure the rest out I am sure. Good luck!

--------------
IF YOU CAN STILL ITCH YOUR NOSE AFTER ARM DAY, GO DO ANOTHER SET!!!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/04/03, 04:50 PM
Mutt gave you 100% good advice. Cut back on the carbs and up the protein. Another benefit from protein is, it is only 4 calories per gram, and the body burns more calories digesting protein than other macronutrients.

--------------
We must become the change we want to see.

Ivan Montreal Canada
laramertz
laramertz
United States
2003/04/03, 05:03 PM
"Stop using the scale use a tape measure."

I couldn't agree more. I going through the same thing you are...working hard but not seeing any changes on the scale. I decided to start taking my measurements every 4 weeks. I couldn't believe how many inches I lost in the first 4 weeks yet I had not lost a pound. It's coming up on my 8th week since I first measured and I'm still at the same weight but I can't weight to get measured because I know I've lost more inches.
ufo_10
ufo_10
Canada
2003/04/09, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to try adding protein sdrinks to help with the 6 meals as I work and find it hard to break the breakfast lunch supper routine. I plan to add a couple of shakes durting the day. I usually work out at noon. I hear it is better to work out on an empty stomach so I should hold off until about 4pm for the first.

Is there anything special I should be looking for in good protein supplement? Is whey or soya better?