Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

need advice again....confused!!!!

send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/21, 07:01 PM
Hello guys,

I just read a few articles by Shin Ohtake a fitness trainer. According to him, running on the treadmill for 30-45 min at moderate pace is all nonsense. The key is getting a high metabolism. So his principle is TRAIN LIKE AN ATHLETE like 15 secs of high intensity running and then 45 sec rest. This should be repeated 8 times at 100% intensity to get the best effect. He suggests that a 10-15 min high intensity workout is much effective than a 45-60 min moderate intensity. This burns more calories and fat.

The theory looks fine to me. However I have a small issue. I have read somewhere that a marathon runner burns more fat than a sprinter. If this is true then it kind of contradicts the theory mentioned above.

Just one more question. When you want to do circuit what kind of exercises are the best? Can anyone suggest a good routine? I have heard while doing circuit its best to perform compound movements rather than isolation exercises. This is because compound movements involve a much larger and overall muscle groups which facilitates fat burn. Am I correct?

I know there are lots of experts on this community. Pls help me to find a good combination of circuit training exercises.
dan_into
dan_into
United States
2008/11/24, 02:57 PM
When I was in Army basic training we did a running event called 60/120s where you sprint for 60 secs and walk for 120 secs. We did this for 30 mins and it was very effective depending on how much effort was put into the sprints. I now do my own version of this where you sprint for 30 secs and jog for 60 secs.

What are your goals exactly?
send2archan
send2archan
United Kingdom
2008/11/24, 03:09 PM
My goal is to get lean. I do weight training as well to get the muscle. But I need to lose body fat in order to get that ripped effect. I am trying my best to get the diet right and still working to get the right balance. I am looking for suggestions to improve my cardio sessions. Honestly I am not genetically blessed as a runner (thts wht i think). Howevr I do make an effort to give my best shot. The problem is also time. I am kind of looking for a good cardio routine tht will booost my metabolism to a very high level for the rest of the day. I have also started going to the gym before work early in the morning.

Pls do give ur suggestions.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2008/11/24, 03:11 PM
What shin is suggesting as a hyper version of HIIT training. It's just another way to burn calories faster than standard forms of cardio. Even what dan_into is suggesting is along the same lines. Typically with HIIT you would walk briskly or jog for 2 minutes, then crank it up to a hard run for 1 minute. Then repeat the process 6 times or so. In 20 minutes, you'll end up burning a ton of calories versus just walking briskly for longer periods of time. Eventually you'll want to work up to a 1:1 ratio. There is no definitive "best cardio". It all depends on how much time you want to invest versus the amount of calories you want to burn.