Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Need Advice

silvashane
silvashane
United States
2002/01/10, 10:55 AM
I am trying to follow the ft workout, but i am unable to workout on weekends, so i have had to move the rest days and workout days. is it ok to workout monday through thurday and rest all weekend?

also i had a personal traininer who said i should workout each muscle at least 2x per week. so what i have been doing is:

m - chest, bis (as described in ft program)
t - shoulders, back, tris (as described in ft program)
w - cardio (1hr spin class)
th - chest. bis (light, high reps, 2 sets per muscle)
f - shoulders, back, tris (light, high reps, 2 sets per muscle)

is this too much, too little, off base. any recommendations? i just need little guidance.

i have been working out intermittently for 4 -5 years with varying results off and on. i want to get serious and improve my tone and a little bit of size. i am not trying to get huge. i want to get rid of my stubborn love handles, bulk up my arms and chest, and tone and cut the rest. i just want to make sure i doing this right so i don't get frustrated. i'm currently 6' 180lbs and in decent, but not great shape.
Arnold
Arnold
Canada
2002/01/10, 11:52 AM
Hey.. welcome to ft.

First of all when do you train legs? And if you choose not to then why?

Training each muscle twice a week can be ok.. but it is not recommended. It all depends on what your goals happen to be. So let us know.

I would re-arrange the schedule like this to make sure that you get enough rest time:

Monday - Chest, Biceps
Tuesday - Cardio (add front thigh)
Wednesday - Shoulders, Back, Triceps
Thurday - Cardio (add rear thigh)
Friday - Chest, Biceps
Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest
Monday - Shoulders, Back, Triceps
Tuesday - Cardio (add front thigh)
Wednesday - Chest, Biceps
Thurday - Cardio (add rear thigh)
Friday - Shoulders, Back, Triceps
Saturday - rest
Sunday - rest

and so on.. ..

Follow this 2 week split and you should be fine, good luck.

.o0 Arnold 0o.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/10, 12:04 PM
I agree with Arnold -- more doesn't necessarily mean better. I used to work on biceps and triceps 2x/week, but found that it was putting too much strain on the muscles. I now work on each muscle group 1x/week, but have put more emphasis on good form (even if that means going with lower weights) and still feel that burn afterwards. Now, after each week, I feel stronger and have usually been able to increase weights at least every other week (if not weekly).

You should also add legs and abs to your routine as Arnold suggested.
silvashane
silvashane
United States
2002/01/10, 12:09 PM
thanks for the tips. i actually am pretty exciting about trying this new schedule. i am doing the ft ab program 2x per week; i just forgot to add that in. i am following the nutrition program as well. however, i have fewer carbs than recommended (at least until i get rid of the annoying lovehandles)
silvashane
silvashane
United States
2002/01/10, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely try that out. I normally don't train legs because I spin for cardio which gives them a pretty good workout. I normally add them in once I get my chest arms where I want them, and once I get in a good routine of going to the gym. I have had a hard time motivating for the last 5-6 months.

Thanks again. I think that will work. Plus I will get in two days of cardio during the week.
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/11, 03:16 AM
First welcome silvashane, secondly after 5-6 years of weight training you should be knowing your goals....
If you want to be serious of getting muscle mass then try following the 12 week muscle mass program by FT, but follow it really. One muscle group worked per week and put in a leg routine.
First spinning will NEVER give you big nice legs (and it'll look stupid with big shoulders and sticky legs.....) secondly, if you want to loose weight then it's a very good idea developping the legs since they are big muscle group which mean that they are big consumer of calories..

Finally, you want to loose your love handles, fine but don't cut too low your carb intake. You need carbs to build muscle and you need carbs to BURN fat as well....

The personal trainer you talked about, does he ever work with Body Builders?

Don't forget what works for others doesn't necessairly work for you, but if you don't try new things, you'll never know.... After so long time of weight training you should be knowing your body and how it responds to a given exercise..... Try listening to your body.

Luck to you!!
-Nina
silvashane
silvashane
United States
2002/01/14, 02:23 PM
thanks for the advice. the traininer i worked with does not usually work with bodybuilders. the main reason i liked his idea of a muscle 2x per week is that my muscles don't feel as tight or toned when i only work them out once per week. also, i work out alone and i don't think i am capable of working out to failure to the intensity that i need if i am going to work out each muscle 1x per week.

regarding the carbs, i also find it very hard to know what "too low" means. the diet recommends 450g while i get about 250 - 300, most from simple carbs. i eat only 4 slices of whole wheat bread per day; all the rest of my carbs are from fruit and vegetables. once i get the wait down i am going to add some oatmeal for breakfast and baked potato for dinner. is 250 considered "too low" until i get rid of the love handles?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/14, 03:10 PM
Hi, Shane. I work out alone, too and have been capable of working out to failure. I feel that "burn" everytime I finish my workouts! You should also if you follow the ft program structure closely.

As far as the carbs, I find it difficult to track to the exact number. However, I believe that you should use the plus or minus 10% variance as stated in the ft nutrition guide.

Hope this answers your question...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/15, 04:40 AM
You need carbs to exercise and carbs to burn fat as well.....
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/15, 07:20 AM
hey arnold where is the calf exercise? maybe you don't need to do them because you are genetically gifted in this area?
ltroisi
ltroisi
United States
2002/01/11, 07:47 AM
I like this arrangement so much I think I ill try it this summer. We live at the lake on the week-ends from may-sept so I don't work-out on the week ends in the summer. I do my cardio instead. Thanks Arnold.