Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

neck/shoulder pain

katerinka44
katerinka44
United States
2004/10/19, 07:22 PM
Please help with advice if you can. My husband was doing leg extensions (if this is what they are called - raising his legs while laying down flat on his back) and after he got up, he felt a pain in his neck. If he doesn't move it doesn't hurt, but his range of motion is very limited. The pain is to the right of the spine, and it's shooting into the shoulder.

Can anyone help with advice about what could is be and what could have happened?

What can be done now? Ice? Brace? Any ideas?

Another, even a more important question: what doctor should he go see tomorrow? He is very skeptical about chiropractors, we don't know any good ones in the area and going to just any can be too dangerous for your health :) (I learned it the hard way last year). What type of doctor can help him with this injury?

Thank you very much!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/10/21, 08:02 AM
Maybe he pulled a muscle alongside his spine. He shouldn't do leg raises like that unless he has built up some low back strength and core stabilization.

Ice it, rest it, gently massge it.

I still vote for chiropractic over regular docs - the chiro will treat the problem, the doc will give you meds to treat the symptoms.

--------------
\"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.\" Marcel Proust
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/21, 08:04 AM
I agree that chiropracters are a good option, but if you are sceptical, the other option would be a physiotherapist
BudFox
BudFox
United States
2004/10/29, 11:19 AM
Good information. Many things could have happened. Hard to pin point the exact cause over the internet. Sounds like a pinched nerve. Could be a few things causing the problem, most likely a cervical disc (slipped disc). Definitely ice it. I would also recommend seeing a chiropractor. You could get some medications to help with the initial pain and inflammation but it won't fix the problem. Forget the physical therapist (what we call them in the states) if you need physical therapist the chiropractor will give you a referral. Physical therapists usually need a doctor referral in the first place. The chiropractor can order any diagnostic tests, in your case an MRI. Physical therapists do not have the ability to do this. You need a doctor to find out what the problem is before you send them off to physical therapy. It's alright to be skeptical and most people are. That is until they get treated and see for themselves that it works.

============
Quoting from katerinka44:

Please help with advice if you can. My husband was doing leg extensions (if this is what they are called - raising his legs while laying down flat on his back) and after he got up, he felt a pain in his neck. If he doesn't move it doesn't hurt, but his range of motion is very limited. The pain is to the right of the spine, and it's shooting into the shoulder.

Can anyone help with advice about what could is be and what could have happened?

What can be done now? Ice? Brace? Any ideas?

Another, even a more important question: what doctor should he go see tomorrow? He is very skeptical about chiropractors, we don't know any good ones in the area and going to just any can be too dangerous for your health :) (I learned it the hard way last year). What type of doctor can help him with this injury?

Thank you very much!
=============