Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

NBA Fight

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/11/21, 04:03 PM
Anyone see the Pacers/Pistons/Detroit fans fight Friday night? That was one of the craziest sports fights I have ever seen. I know the NBA players might take a lot from the fans sometimes, but there was no reason for that, I think the fans were just tryin to get some money, or they're punks one. There's no tellin what their punishment will be.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/11/21, 04:42 PM
I saw the video replay of the incident and I do think it's shameful. But the real shame is that these players don't have anyone backing them up. Fans are rude and aggressive and unless and until we provide players with a sense of legitimate security so that it doesn't occur to them go fight their own battles, this stuff is going to continue.

The player behaviors are obvious, they are doing their job. A certain amount of yelling is probably to be expected from the fans but the brawling behavior is unacceptable. Those fans didn't leave that fight between the two men, they all joined in and that's when it escalated.

Perhaps it's time to consider that the general public cannot be trusted to exhibit anything but bad behavior and react accordingly. Players have a right to expect that they can do their jobs without being forced to interact with their audience in self-defense.

I'm not saying that the player is blameless, he's not, but let's look at the real root of the problem. Just one woman's opinion.

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/11/21, 08:23 PM
it broke out while i was at work - thank god i was not sports editor that night. there's talk of locking the fans out of the march 25 pacers/pistons game at the palace - a move that could result in 6- to-7 digit revenue losses for the pistons, not to mention stripping the advantage from the home-court setting.

i do not blame ron artest for going after the guy who clocked him in the face with a drink. it's not like artest was still fighting - he was lying on a table and couldn't see it coming. i'd want to kick his scrawny ass too. if the palace would hire real security guards instead of church ushers in blue and red shirts, maybe this wouldn't have happened. no fan should ever be able go get into a postition to throw anything at a player.

i don't really see why ben wallace found it necessary to start a fight with 45 seconds left, considering the pacers had already won the game. it didn't just cause an uprising on the court, it led to the most appalling display of lack of restraint ever seen at a sporting event on american soil.

but i do have to admit i thouroughly enjoyed watching it over and over again.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
Anni313
Anni313
United States
2004/11/21, 11:47 PM
Howdie, have I remembered to tell you how positively yummy you are in the new picture? Love the pink!

--------------
Anni

Hard work must have killed somebody
2004/11/22, 04:11 AM
artest ended up shoving down the wrong fan at first...guy who threw the drink was in the hat....restraining artest..it's hilarious...this type of stuff always happens...one guy does something...another sees it and starts cracking up...well lets guess who gets hit..if player didn't see who threw it...

artest showed a lot of restraint of backing away after publicly humiliated by wallace twice...being shoved 10 feet and then having a towel thrown on him...he has pride also...the cup was the straw that broke the camels back..73 game suspension is unreasonable...20-30 games is fair...oneol punched a fan on the floor....so 30 games is rediculous....game floor is his area...self defense works well here i think...

fans pouring drink and throwing stuff as players were going through the tunner is rediculous...made me sick...pathetic display ...someone actually threw a chair in oneols direction as he was leaving....talk about crazy...and some1 splashed drink in oneols face...as he was leaving also...simpyl pathetic..now indiana went from contender to lottery hopeful...rediculous...pathetic how league made indiana play with 6 players 2 days ago...8 is minimum under normal situation...

wallace overreacted....by a long shot...yes being fouled hard with 45 sec left..when indi is up by 15 is stupid..but it wasn't even a flagrant...fine he shoved him...but why in hell was he running/skippign after artest? was he that pissed over this lil foul? eh ...wallace should have been given 10-15 games not 6...he instigated most of it...
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/11/22, 05:16 AM
i know right? i could not believe that he only got 6 games considering none of this would have happened if he hadn't started the fight. david stern really missed the boat on this one. i agree that players need to be held accountable for their actions, but at some point you have to hold the fans accountable as well.

what i'm still waiting for are the sanctions against the pistons organization for not having proper security to control their fans. if i was an nba player, i would refuse to set foot in the palace until significant measures had been taken to increase the security level. that is just unacceptable.

============
Quoting from menace3000:

eh ...wallace should have been given 10-15 games not 6...he instigated most of it...
=============

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/11/22, 05:17 AM
p.s. thank you anni, i will take being called yummy any day :big_smile:

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/11/22, 08:10 AM
I think that the whole thing with the fans may have been avoided if Artest wouldn't have been lying on the scorers table. I think Wallace should have gotten 10 games at the minumum. He overreacted big time. Oneal snuck that dude on the court, but 25 or 30 games may have been a bit much. A handful of fans got stupid at a game and now everybody is screaming for extra security, no fans at the Piston's/Pacer's game etc.... I guess that is our culture, overreact to everything. The fact of the matter is that had these guys not gone into the stands, the situation could have been handled better. The NBA had to suspend Artest to deter any future incidents.

--------------
I am not conceited; I am convinced.
t-babe
t-babe
United Kingdom
2004/11/22, 09:26 AM
i always got the impression that there wasn't really any crowd trouble with games over there but i guess if things get heated in any game in any country people's emotions boil over. what was the security doing? i know over here even at the lowest division of football there is a security presence and a police presence depending on the level of the game and crowd. i guess with the nba, nfl, nhl and the rest it would be difficult for the police to be at the games. they could have ahave a look at getting security around the game area. visual deterrent maybe put people off.
2004/11/22, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the fans and players are thugs and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?? Beating the hell out of somebody for throwing a cup of water on them is going too far. Maybe the game should be played in a cage like wrasslin.

Our entire society seems to be coarsened to the point that its unrecognizable to me. I'm sick of vomit and autopsies on tv. When did this become entertainment. At this point I should probably say somthing diplomatic like "sorry for the rant", but I'm not. It's perfectly ok to fight with words but it's not ok to fight with fists at a sporting event. The owners should be fined and sanctioned and prosecuted along with the fans and players.

I'm gonna go watch "It's a Wonderful Life.

--------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Charlie
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/11/22, 11:13 AM
If somebody throws something at me I am beating the piss out of them.

--------------
I am not conceited; I am convinced.
2004/11/22, 11:27 AM
Call me when you do, I'll go your bail.

--------------

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/11/22, 11:27 AM
I 2nd that

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/11/22, 11:28 AM
I'll bail you out too B.A.

--------------

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/11/22, 01:15 PM
Lol thanx

I only say a sned bit of the footage, what exactly happened. On the bob and tom show, they said they had 6 unifomred police officers on staff at that game lol

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

JustinE22
JustinE22
United States
2004/11/22, 01:21 PM
I agree wallace got off way to easy, the whole thing would have been avoided if he didn't over react over a foul with 45 sec. left in the game. I agree Stern totally screwed this one up.
2004/11/23, 02:18 AM
i've listened to some interviews....and i am just laughing over certain things...

1. i am nba player but I am a man first

For millions of dollars...you're a professional first...being a man means thinking rationally and not overreacting....i always laugh at idiots who think they must defend their 'manhood' if any1 insults them...sometimes being a 'man' is knowing when to walk away...artest is losing 5 mil if he's out for 73 games....for this much money i'll have them pour beer over me after every game...and be damn happy to be gettign so much money...perhaps artest felt so relaxed that the fan thought all artest was lacking was a beer in his hand...so he gave the boy a beer...lol

2. the blame is everywhere and anywhere....yet no1 is taking responsibility

detroit got off very very very veyr very light....wallace out for 6 games? and a few bench warmers out 1 game for leaving a game?

their organization should have been fined a couple million...forced to have a community night...where all those crying children get to attend an event sponsored by the team free of charge...increased security...and close down facilities on march 23....for the game...ie a very very harsh punishment...what they got is a big joke

indiana got their team destroyed....3 key guys who total 63 ppg out for 25+ games...one out for season....another guy out 5 games...and a couple others for a game...including reggie miller...which is hilarious.... this team is in shambles...bobcats will probably be better....

rediculous...every must take blame...and be 'men' and accept it...every1 is ready to defend their manhood yet cannot grasp what it takes to be men...having the courage to admit a mistake and take full responsibility for it...

and yes charlie...all the people should be persecuted to the full extent of the law....
2004/11/23, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Wallace got off easy? They'd played 47 minutes of a game that no-doubt included a ton of jawing and the over-aggressive humping that people consider "Artest's great defense," so I don't blame him for shoving Artest for a meaningless hack when the game is virtually over. 5 games would be appropriate for that in any other game. What happened afterward cannot be directly imputed to Wallace; if my boss yells at me at work, can I blame him if I go home and hit my wife? Artest and Jackson escalated the situation, and they should bear the brunt of the suspensions, as they did. Artest's past record showing a total lack of self-control could have even warranted a longer suspension than this season. I'll reserve any comments for O'Neal since I can't stop laughing at the clip of him sliding in and decking that douche who was on the court.