Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Muscle loss due to surgery

danuas
danuas
Denmark
2009/04/25, 06:39 AM
Hey

I got a dislocated right shoulder from playing rugby and i will need surgery for it to recover.
The surgery is for shoulder instability and I will need a looong time to recover. In the beginning I will need a sling for my arm and after 3 months I can resume "ordinary" activities. Not until after 5 months can I participate i sports activities. These include fitness training.

It bothers me because I workout 3-4 times a week and have gained a solid muscle mass over the years. Im 175cm weighing 83kgs of primary muscles. I know for sure I will loose some but I wonder what I can do to decrease the loss. Im allowed to run but there isnt much i can do with my upperbody. Im not sure if I can swim, probly not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2009/04/27, 10:19 AM
Make sure your diet reflects your activity level. 5 months may be a long time to wait, but I'm sure that once you get back into the gym, you'll quickly return to your former shape. The worst thing you can do is go into a depressive funk, and put on a bunch of weight.
danuas
danuas
Denmark
2009/05/02, 10:32 AM
I will be doing to rehability training after 3 weeks and after 3 months I can resume "normal" activities. Sports activities isnt until 5 months after. I wonder if eating relatively high protein diet will help maintain my shape.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/05/02, 12:21 PM
Lower your fat intake and eat fibrous foods to maintain your shape. You should be able to accomplish your protein requirements through your diet.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)